• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crummy time

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
Gorgeous truck, but can you really call that a crummy? More like a mountain limo!

I suggest that you take it out and find a big fir stump to hit with all four sides and corners ( repeat if necessary )

Then spend about 2 hours throwing one inch steel yarder chokers in and out of the box.

Then coat the box with diesel, chain saw gas and chain oil.

Leave you lunches under the seat for at least 30 days with the windows rolled up

Tear off at least half of the window cranks and door handles. ( if power windows..make sure that the window falls of the track on sub zero temperature days.)

At some point, you might try using a 400 size excavator to lower a piece of gear weighing 5000 to 8000 lbs into the box, using questionable chain or cable. Better yet, use some 20 year old nylon tow boat rope. Make sure the operator is hung over.

While you have the chains and cables out. Look for a loaded logging truck to try pulling out of a ditch.

But seriously, that is a great looking truck. I have good memories of working life when those trucks were new. Different times for sure.

John Anderson

Occupation
Piledriver
DerelictTexture: Thanks! I got a good laugh at all of the true crummy specs that you listed! This one has had a good life!
Grapeview Summer 2009.JPG

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
Your welcome.
It's all from the "West Coast Loggers How To Manual", chapter seven..."How to Abuse Your Machine While Making it Look Like You Know What You're Doing"

At the end of the book there is a test.

You get a 40 pound, smoothly polished stainless steel ball.

You have 5 working days to totally screw it up, and make it unrecognizable.

Now you're logging.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Your welcome.
It's all from the "West Coast Loggers How To Manual", chapter seven..."How to Abuse Your Machine While Making it Look Like You Know What You're Doing"

Now you're logging.

Ha!!

You forgot the most important part of that test.

You get to use only a rubber hammer. (grin)

I knew several guys who passed that test too.
Didn't matter what you gave them they'd break it...............somehow. lol

Take care

trakloader

Man, some of the crummies I had... Windows didn't work at all on some, the cranks turned with nothing attached. One night I got stuck in the mud and needed low range, the bloody thing got stuck in low and I was doing 20 all the way home. Another crummy the headlights used to randomly go out, but if you punched the top of the steering column they came back on! Same one had only wide open and full off on the heater blower. It also kicked out of gear when you hit a pothole. Another truck, if you hit a bump the drivers door would fly open. That really wakes you up! Same truck the windshield wipers literally fell apart in a snow storm. Took an hour finding everything in the boneyard to put it back together.

johnson

[quote:Your welcome.

Now you're logging.quote]
Can you find that "West Coast Loggers How To Manual" online in PDF form like the OSHA yarding and loading handbook and the Work Safe BC handbook...

P.S. I think I could be one of those guys that could make the ball unrecognizable I think I have just the right way todo it with a rubber hammer...

HDX

You had to do that Cam Now I have to go looking for the set of brand new Custom Engineering mudflaps that are around here SOMEWHERE LOL

NP-15-A

Dear,HDX

The saddest part of these brochures for me and probably others is that none of the companies in the brochures are around any more like Rayonier Canada BC LTD, Tahsis Company,BCFP and M&B.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Whats the story with Tahsis ?? I remember building trucks for them but I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere and haven't seen any pics of their trucks or equipment..If I recall we built some P-16's for them..Were they a small company ??

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Tahsis was first bought out by Pacific and then Western. They had two company div's Gold River and Zeballos