• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crummy time

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Alright everybody. I have seen threads for every other rig in the woods. How about a thread for your crummy pics and stories. Let's see what you've got and hear what you have had the best luck with.

I'll start out with ours. It's an '07 F-550. Custom crew box and service body. 110 gallon fuel tank in the back. The crew box came off an old union pacific boom truck. Gives us the ability to haul 10 guys in one rig. So, yes, its a six pack with a love shack.

Sorry. Had to show off a nice 64" no1 peeler
ac726a2f.jpg

7aa6364e.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't heard the term "crummy" for years. All I've heard lately is "crew buss". You are bringing back memories.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I dont have any good crummy pics handy but HOLY COW you boys are workin' in some beautiful wood HCF! Are you sure you're showing off your crummy or your timber sale here?? Anyway, I was so busy checking out the fir deck I barely noticed your rig there.
Best crummy story I have has to do with a Weyerhaeuser 'quality control' fellow- you know- they guy who doesn't know jack about anything yet shows up on your landing and tells you your sorts are all wrong? Yep- thay guy!
Anyway during the 1st rig-up the skyline extensions had been dropped on the road by the line truck, and the line truck had gone. Crew was all out over the hill setting up, yarder engineer didnt see the quality guy come in, and that's all it took. He was walking to the yarder and the skyline came up tight- turns out he had parked square over top of the line in the road and it threw his pickup 150' off the road and right now! Lucky nobody-mainly HIM- got hurt or killed. Company side, company-owned Ford pickup, so naturally nobody got fired. One of us contractors ever did that we'd be done right then and there- even if it WAS his fault! I was loading trucks across the canyon but saw the whole thing clearly.

Wish I had a pic of that white F-150! What a mess. Bunch of idiots, that whole crew.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
That's funny. Those guys really are something. This sale was actually last summer in southern Oregon. Don't want to say where exactly for fear there could be a secret greenie spy who could be gearing up to take the forest service to court and hold up the other 14 and a half million board feet on the other half of the sale. Believe it or not it's a DDD salvage or dead down and dying. Beautiful wood though. 14 rings per inch was about average. With two clear logs before you hit the tops. Which we were hand piling limbs larger than most of the wood coming to town on weyerhauser mule trains these days. Anyways. We had a guy working with us one summer who was studying to be some kind of ologist. The guy was into rocks and summer dust makes great crusty boogers. So a good friend of mine decided he would make a booger rock on the way back to town. Handed the future ologist the booger rock looking confused and said "what kind of rock is this?". The college educated guy looked at it and licked the dang thing. I almost lost my lunch. That's my two cents on college educated "smart" people.

Last edited:

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
I am new here and figured that this is as good as any place to make my first post. This is my Crummy (and daily driver) 99 F350 PSD that I have had since new. Put the lift on when wife and I started our field heavy equipment maintenance outfit so it would be easier to get in and out of the jobs.

Link to our facebook if any of you are on there.
011-1.jpg

013.jpg

006.jpg

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Nice. Does that still have a 7.3L in it? We are having tons and tons of problems with the injectors in our 6.0L. Had to replace all 8 at 100,000 miles and went out this morning and found that the ole girl wouldn't fire. As it sits it has 162,431 miles on it. We even use fuel addative and swap fuel filters every 5,000 miles. At a cost of $3,200.00 for parts and labor every time the injectors fail. There goes all our profits from the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
I have had horrible issues with 6.0s and am constantly working on them. I am not biased, 7.3s break down to but not nearly as much or as expensively as 6.0s do. I have 190000 on this truck. Original motor with original parts on it minus the turbo. I upgraded it to a bigger one as I over boosted it and blew it apart. The trans was rebuilt at 169000 to a much stronger setup. Other then that the truck has been worry free.

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Nice. Does that still have a 7.3L in it? We are having tons and tons of problems with the injectors in our 6.0L. Had to replace all 8 at 100,000 miles and went out this morning and found that the ole girl wouldn't fire. As it sits it has 162,431 miles on it. We even use fuel addative and swap fuel filters every 5,000 miles. At a cost of $3,200.00 for parts and labor every time the injectors fail. There goes all our profits from the last few weeks.

Take a look at powerstroke .org. That is the best source for info on any of these trucks that I have ever found. Lots and lots of experiance and knowledge there. Also lots of Ford mechanics on there.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Cattle Car

Nobody hurt or in it, just parked a close to where they were falling...... Ops

Attachments

• !cid_54D3C7D093E64306AFA8F6731D7CD62C@OwnerPC.jpg
    !cid_54D3C7D093E64306AFA8F6731D7CD62C@OwnerPC.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,878

trakloader

Nobody hurt or in it, just parked a close to where they were falling...... Ops

Ouch! I'd give my left arm for one of those old crummies today. The M&B QCD ones were absolute bare bones, no power steering, not even an AM radio. Just a plate that said "FORD" where the radio went. 300 six, and most had the "I" beam front end. Really nice to drive, we still have one for hauling the fire equipment. Steers a lot better than the power steering trucks. The crummy bodies were built by Jacobs Brothers in Richmond, later they changed their name to "Custom Engineering." M&B must have bought 5000 of those crummy bodies, there were sure lots of them around. They used to scrap/sell the whole units after only about five years, in some cases. Later they started saving the bodies for the next batch of trucks. Seems to me, WCB required crummies to have an emergency brake on the driveline, and they had a hand brake with a drum on the transmission. HDX will remember if I'm right! :)

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Those old 300 sixes had pleanty of power and were a whole heck of a lot better on fuel than a 460 or even a 390. I've never driven an old crummy but I've had a couple old pickups. One of the riggin shops I used to work for actually had 300 sixes on both their line cars. They never even needed a puff of starting fluid. Thanks for the great pictures guys. I'll try and snap a couple more of our crummy next time it's on the lot and the suns up.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Well, as usual, I have no pics....but I do have a story.
First, as a Warehouseman I generally didn't ride in a Crummy much but when I first started to work for BCFP at Renfrew it was on the Forestry Crew. In those days most companies had their own forestry crews that planted trees, spaced plantations and generally did what needed to be done in those areas. Pretty well all contracted out nowadays but not so back then.
Anyway, when you live in a logging camp, work like a dog every day and then eat like a horse in the cookhouse every day too you will sometimes achieve that state where even the tiniest and most silent of your farts will absolutely gag a maggot.
I found myself in possession of a number of such killer farts one morning and, as fate would have it, I ended up sitting right above the heater with its blower fan in one of the front seats.
I became aware of my power upon releasing the first silent wonder, which immediately spread throughout the confines of the crummy.
"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??" was the first response I recall, quickly followed by much gagging and choking.
I, of course, sat silently with as innocent a look as possible on my face.
Inside I was peeing myself with laughter, but I didn't reveal anything at all.
A couple of miles passed and the crummy had aired out some when I released my second little pfftt.
I was most gratified when the reaction was again almost immediate and again consisted of much wailing, gagging, opening of windows and protests against whomever had passed this horrible gaseous mixture from some dark place.
Naturally I went along with attempting to shame out the perp and called long and loud for his head.....or some part of his body....all the while feigning innocence of course.
My third contribution to the morning ride led to one of the guys pulling the stop cord while another pounded on the front crummy window while yelling for the driver to stop.
He stopped and we all piled out amidst much cursing and accusations etc. etc. I never copped that it was me and tried to blame everyone else of course, so nobody really knew who it was in the end.

I have rarely felt so powerful. LOL

But it's true, I once stunk up a crummy so bad with three little silent farts that the crew had to stop and get out to get fresh air.

Good times. :)

Take care.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I did that once in the darkroom with a "buddy".We had gone to the service club photo lab to develop our film and there was just about enough room for two people in there.It was designed for just one I am sure.Back in those days you could open a 35mm film canister by just hitting the spool end on a hard object which is the only way that I ever opened them.It does not seem to work on the newer film canisters.
Well,I waited for my buddy to pop his open and the rest is history.I still laugh to this day when I think about it.Ron G

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
That's awesome guys. We used to have a 2000 ford e-350 twelve passenger van for a crummy. It was a 4x4 conversion done by quigly I think. Basically a factory option. We put a roof rack on top of it and that's where our 5 power saws, about 15 gallons of saw gas, five gallons of bar oil and all our hand tools went. We took the back seat out and put up an expanded metal screen to hang saw bars, chains and everyones packs on. With just myself and the old man in it we crossed the scales at 12,000 pounds. Once you got a ten man crew in there it got pretty heavy. Anyways, here's a couple more pics of our current crummy.

Heres a pic showing the crew box and the hand tool basket.
a1924c34.jpg

A pic of the rear. Box on the top left is the saw box. Under that is a 130 gallon fuel tank for burn season.
476c2746.jpg

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Nice jack. That must be a new feature on the chevy pickups. Haha. That would be the quickest way to get a rig in the air though.