• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crummy time

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
1979 Ford - M & B Sproat Lake Div.

I finally found this photo after months of looking for it. I spent lots of time keeping dry inside this unit back in the late '70s, while I worked as a Chaser on the Y35 Grapple Yarder.

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,661

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Impressive, I must say.

I once made good use of a pedestal fan, after a steady diet of beans (a mixture of several varieties, laced with Lipton's Onion Soup), and cleared off an entire loading dock. This was a pre-calculated form of payback. After everyone jumped off the dock and stood around accusing each other, I took credit, turned to the guilty party, and reminded him of the evils of starting something he can't stop. We rode together on a delivery route that night, but our working relationship was somewhat strained. I even had the decency to warn him each time I felt one coming on, so he could roll his window down. He finally gave up and no longer even bothered doing so, because it didn't do any good.

Fun, fun times.

Step right up, folks. Post your best fart story in the crummy thread.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
I have a gas passing story. Not in our current crummy but in our old 2000 ford e-350. It was a twelve passenger van with a 4x4 conversion and a roof rack on top. We were headed down to Cow creek out of riddle on I-5 and one of our drunkard gotta have 10 people on a last minute call for a job guys fell asleep. Guy liked to drink malt liquor and had some terrible farts. He ripped a couple dead animal smelling farts off and we had to pull over and threaten him with walking home from Roseburg to get him to stop. it was terrible. The crummy driver drove with the AC on in the mornings and the heater on in the afternoon the rest of the week. Just so nobody could sleep anymore. He said that if everyone wanted to ride in a cesspool then we could ride in a trailer full of sewage. He was so mad. Anyone ever have problems with people leaving garbage under the seats? That's our problem now days. So we make everyone clean out under their seats every Friday when we stop for fuel.

STAFFORD

I dont have any good crummy pics handy but HOLY COW you boys are workin' in some beautiful wood HCF! Are you sure you're showing off your crummy or your timber sale here?? Anyway, I was so busy checking out the fir deck I barely noticed your rig there.
Best crummy story I have has to do with a Weyerhaeuser 'quality control' fellow- you know- they guy who doesn't know jack about anything yet shows up on your landing and tells you your sorts are all wrong? Yep- thay guy!
Anyway during the 1st rig-up the skyline extensions had been dropped on the road by the line truck, and the line truck had gone. Crew was all out over the hill setting up, yarder engineer didnt see the quality guy come in, and that's all it took. He was walking to the yarder and the skyline came up tight- turns out he had parked square over top of the line in the road and it threw his pickup 150' off the road and right now! Lucky nobody-mainly HIM- got hurt or killed. Company side, company-owned Ford pickup, so naturally nobody got fired. One of us contractors ever did that we'd be done right then and there- even if it WAS his fault! I was loading trucks across the canyon but saw the whole thing clearly.

Wish I had a pic of that white F-150! What a mess. Bunch of idiots, that whole crew.

There is a similar story Contract Logger, that happened on the white river tree farm years back. I wont say his name- his crew was tired of of how he treated and was quite a screamer, so he showed up on the landing with a brand new pickup, parked over the skyline, started screaming at the crew and low and behold the yarder engineer, pulled up the skyline and there went his brand new truck right off the edge! I believe most of his crew quit that day.

isx525

There is a similar story Contract Logger, that happened on the white river tree farm years back. I wont say his name- his crew was tired of of how he treated and was quite a screamer, so he showed up on the landing with a brand new pickup, parked over the skyline, started screaming at the crew and low and behold the yarder engineer, pulled up the skyline and there went his brand new truck right off the edge! I believe most of his crew quit that day.

I know who that was !! :D
isx

tree farmer

International harvestor 4x4 Sixpac crummy

Mead logging job for IP near Apairy Oregon also in picture is cancar c7 fixed boom and a 466 Koehring. Bob Tull of Scappoose was lead trucker.

Attachments

• icrummy.jpg
    icrummy.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 3,292

tree farmer

Mead logging crummy Banks Oregon

Purchased at the Vader Wa. auction this crummy spent time Traveling to Mt. St.Helens for the salvage effort. Mead's had two yarders sitting back to back on a hill top logging ash covered blow down. One was a Westcoast falcon, the other was a Thunderbird model B. Someone once told me that from one of the hilltops near the blast zone a person could count at least 18 yarder towers. All the machines were part of Weyco's salvage effort after the eruption. All the Yarder crews,cutters, log trucks, fuel trucks, ect.. used the same one lane gravel road. With 500 trucks a day there were a few mishaps.

Attachments

• mcrummy.jpg
    mcrummy.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 3,270

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Our Crummy. My brother bought a used 1960 something GMC crummy from Aloha Lumber Co. We used it to drive back & forth to our Creek cleaning jobs. It had a V6 and a standard tranny. My brother hadn't got used to the limited power of the V6 yet, when we came up behind an off highway Peterbilt hauling a load of old growth cedar. We knew there was a turnout ahead where we could pass. Well, we could pass if we had a V8. Out around the Peterbilt we went. Petal to the metal. We ran out of passing room before we ran out of Peterbilt. We launched off a mound of gravel at the end of the turnout. To Dan's credit, he kept it 'to the wood'. We bounced and heaved, and so did the crummy. After a considerable amount of 'ditch digging', we found ourselves back on the logging road in front of the Peterbilt. BARELY in front! We had left a few parts behind. Some more important than others. We drove our used GMC back home minus the exhaust, brakes, and other minor parts. The steering was completely messed up. It never left the yard again. Always imagined the Peterbilt driver laughing his ass off at us.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Purchased at the Vader Wa. auction this crummy spent time Traveling to Mt. St.Helens for the salvage effort. Mead's had two yarders sitting back to back on a hill top logging ash covered blow down. One was a Westcoast falcon, the other was a Thunderbird model B. Someone once told me that from one of the hilltops near the blast zone a person could count at least 18 yarder towers. All the machines were part of Weyco's salvage effort after the eruption. All the Yarder crews,cutters, log trucks, fuel trucks, ect.. used the same one lane gravel road. With 500 trucks a day there were a few mishaps.

My grandpa did a lot of salvage logging on st helens. He owned Triple "C" Logging. Could have been called something else back then. I heard the ash was harder on undercarriages than a drunk cat skinner.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
@akroadrunner: I can just imagine what kinds of stories that truck driver told everyone about the little crummy that couldn't. Haha. The joys of working in the brush.

akroadrunner

Occupation
It's not really a crummy since it isn't a crew cab, but I'm a one man crew all by myself. Less than 100,000 miles on this 94. I drive it on the beach up here, which is a risky thing to do. Especially on the north end of the peninsula. I also take it out on the frozen pipelines in winter. I haul several moose with it every fall. I've taken 16 of them with my bow. Anyway, here's my p.u.F250,056,Shoveling Track,Moose 002.JPGF250,056,Shoveling Track,Moose 001.JPG

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I believe the '94 thru '97 F-250 HD pickups will go down in history as the best of the Ford pickups ever built, except for the leg room. At 6'4, I can't fit comfortably into a standard cab truck made back then. I have a '95 F-250 HD Supercab with a 351 and a 5-speed, with a mere 87,000 miles on it. Dark blue, still looks nice, and I keep it up meticulously. That includes Redline MTL in the trans since the 30,000 mile mark. Gievn the chance, I would not trade it for a newer model.

Dualie

I Don't know its hard to beat the 99-2003 7.3L F-series. I have a pair of them with over 380,000 miles on them. Wouldn't trade them for any new truck.

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
Is that truck Gas or Diesel. From the pic I am guessing gas unless its a pre powerstroke.

akroadrunner

Occupation
It's gas. 5.8 liter. Pretty much plain jane, all stock except the tire and wheels, and stereo. Had it all set up for pilot car work at one time, but just recently pulled off the beacons. Still have the CB in it though. If I am called for a pilot car job, I can use my magnet mount beacons. I have a receiver on the headache rack where I can quickly mount the oversize signs. I also removed my company logo from the truck as our new DOT guy has been pulling over company pick ups, (especially if you're pulling a trailer) and he wants to see ALL the necessary paper work and you better have a usdot number on the vehicle. Oh, I push sprint cars with it too at the local dirt track.

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
I have got a new crummy now so I thought I would share with everyone.

2008 Ford F-450 4X4. Transfer tank, tool box, Cobra 29 LX digital Cb and all sorts of other good stuff.

2011-08-05152643.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
How are you all handling the 6.4 liter Ford diesel in service trucks? We have one and the thing is an unmitigated disaster. The boss is trying to sell that lemon right away.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Here is my old beater....Got rid of an 07 for this bucket but wouldn't trade it for the world!!

IMG00627-20101027-1108.jpg