• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Critters making homes in your dozer

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Anyone else have critters that want to use your dozer as a home. Everytime I have removed my rock guards, I have found mouse nests. I found a black rat snake skin in the battery compartment. A friend of mine said birds nest in the compartment of his dozer. He said they carry in enough grass and straw to feed a cow through the winter. I have seen mud dabber nests in my engine compartment.

FurakawaMatt

Yes, I have to watch out for the Hornets in Spring and Fall. I have gotten stung when going to operate the dozer not knowing they had created a hive. Mice are constancy nesting and I will toss in some rodent poison every year into the engine area and battery box area.

pp13bnos

This last fall, every time I started to run my dozer, I would have a little mouse run out from it. This went on for a week or so before he finally figured out that things where'nt going to change. He either moved out or I ran him over. ;)

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
We have huge problems with starlings nesting in our loaders for about a month during spring. We have to tell our operators to check the engine bay everytime they start one up, because the starlings often place their nests around the turbo or in between the fan and the radiator. They seem to particularly like our yard loader, we can leave that for two hours and they willl be well on the way to having a nest built when we go back. Another loader we have, they always nest in the exhaust pipe, no matter how many times it is used, when we come back a day or so later, there is a nest in the exhaust pipe, which also can be a bit tricky at the start of summer, because the grass is lodged in between the baffles, so then it catches fire. The odd thing is, that these loaders are in different areas, kilometres apart, so different starlings are nesting in them, yet they will put their nests in exactly the same place every year.

Another problem we experienced, was when one of our operators left the machine, he put the keys inside the frame underneath the cab. When he came back a day or so later, the keys were gone. We hunted high and low for those keys, we were accusing him of all sorts of things, then by sheer luck, we found the keys laying on the side of a gravel heap a little way away from the loader, obviously the birds had found them and decided to have a play with them.

RnR.

Animal

For your info RnR, starlings can smell where other birds have made nests the year before so hence the reason other birds always go back to the same spot. They hate diesel being sprayed over their nesting area and so go look for somewhere else. But for obvious reasons be careful where you spray it and you don't need much.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
For your info RnR, starlings can smell where other birds have made nests the year before so hence the reason other birds always go back to the same spot. They hate diesel being sprayed over their nesting area and so go look for somewhere else. But for obvious reasons be careful where you spray it and you don't need much.

Crikey Animal, where were you when we needed you. They must have a good sense of smell, because the loaders are washed numerous times through out the year. I hadn't heard about the diesel trick, but it is something I will keep in mind, thank you for that.
I did buy a bird scarer that emitted sounds a bit like cicadas, I was told that would keep them away, we were having limited success with it, until another contractor hopped in the loader and backed over the speaker, the starlings woke up to that very quickly.

RnR.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I had a track loader with the bucket in the air at the yard. Bees must have though it looked like a good pit stop fot the night. I bet the ball hanging on the bucket was 12" or better! Of course I jumped on the machine and was about to crank it when I saw it and bailed out. Had to call an exterminator. Boys had to be careful when driving by machine to get in shop.

Old Magnet

You guys have it easy....wait until the "wood rats" move in. They devour everything, seat cushions, hoses, wires (insulation & wire), anything plastic is chewed on. Got other pets on the place so can't really use poison.....run a trap line year round. Anything that is shelter has an occupant. Huge piles of sticks, grass and the smell!!!!!!. Aaaaah life in the country.

DPete

It can be a real problem, had a cottontail go thru the fan on a D8K, must have been small as it just vaporized, blew a few starling nests out of the 623 stacks on start up, opened the water truck glove box to get something and there was Mickey and Minnie mouse ready to start a family. Knawing rodents can do big damage on later electronic machines with those harnesses running everywhere, just trouble shooting a bad harness can be a nightmare.

monster truck

When I was working out in the redwoods here we had a huge problem with the bears eating our seats at night. The old timers told us they like to chew on the seats because they like the salty taste from the sweat, makes sense I guess. On the plus side they also licked all the zerk fittings clean because they like the taste of grease. That part was actually very handy because we would just wait till morning to grease and all the fittings would be clean! The bears were usually there in the morning when we showed up and we would have to run them off so we could get to work. One young bear even managed to get into the enclosed cab backhoe and shut the door behind him, that was one hell of a suprise when we showed up in the morning and had to come up with a way to get him out!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I have birds nesting in the excavators were all the hoses are above the control valves. This never happened when we worked steady now they get lots of time to build. In years past the field mice had a favorite wire on all the GM diesel cars that they just loved, it was part of the glow plug system, and it would not start. This year a bird built a nest in side the 680 backhoe boom for a first. I used to have a problem every spring the birds built nests on top of the sliding doors in the barn. I got some very sticky stuff that comes in a calking tube just a little and they won't come back, it really does work.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Ok, I have a better one. I was on University of Texas(Hookem Horns!) and having problems the a telehandler operating on the end of the boom. Tore it apart and found a squirrel had eaten three inches of a four wire harness. It was qiute funny seeing his little paw prints in the dust trails inside the boom. Next day I get a call, tractor is doing the same thing. The squirrel is poking his head out of the boom when I pull up. Guess what the problem was again? He only chewed up two inches that day. Is it bad to have 8 splices in and ten inch section of wire?:)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I found a pack rat skeleton under the tilt cab of a Komatsu log shovel one year. The reason for the skeleton was because of the electrical fire that got started after the rat chewed the insulation off the hot wire to the key.

I've also been on a Komatsu with another mechanic that had a big surprise in the fancy computer box the Canadians built for the rear entry cab. My partner practically flew out from under the cab onto a log deck next to the machine. Dog gone pack rack probably weighed 4 pounds. I gave my buddy a pry bar and he hit the critter square. The fur ball only looked back at us like if we did that again he was going to make a mess of us and the machine. Then he abled out of the box and down into the center of the machine. I'd have shot him with the pistol but all the damned computer crap was so expensive.

bjs

Occupation
lawn care speclist
found a dead mouse in my skid steer the other day. going to give is buddies some good old fun stuff for them to eat that they cant resist. thell be gone for this season. yeah.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I don't know how many bird nests and mouse/rat nests I've removed. When I first started my 977H after I bought it, a large cloud of Hornet nest shrapnel came flying out of the exhaust, luckily the hornets had moved on already... The best one was one morning we hopped into my mom's car and opened the glove box to find it full to the top with dog food, the dry stuff you get in a 50lb bag. Seems that night the mice had decided that it was the ideal storage silo for this stuff. No idea how they even got it in there as all the cracks and holes we could find were smaller than the dog food bits. Another time just recently we were working alongside another helicopter company and the engineer working on the machine calls me over all excitedly, laughing his head off. I stomped over and peeked into the tailboom and the whole length of the tailboom had about 2 inches deep worth of dogfood in it. Last year I went to use the old F600 dump truck I have, I climbed in the cab and was met by protests from an angry squirrel behind the seat. I folded the seat forward to find the whole thing had been packed full of pinecones.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
When I was working out in the redwoods here we had a huge problem with the bears eating our seats at night. The old timers told us they like to chew on the seats because they like the salty taste from the sweat, makes sense I guess. On the plus side they also licked all the zerk fittings clean because they like the taste of grease. That part was actually very handy because we would just wait till morning to grease and all the fittings would be clean! The bears were usually there in the morning when we showed up and we would have to run them off so we could get to work. One young bear even managed to get into the enclosed cab backhoe and shut the door behind him, that was one hell of a suprise when we showed up in the morning and had to come up with a way to get him out!
Well you should have hired him then gave him a hard hat,vest and safety glasses.