• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crawlers I photo'd recently.

Truck Shop

Reminds me of the term "push me pull you."

Is it a skid steer? Was it a loader? Are those grader chain drives? Kinda looks like a farm field in the background. What would someone use that thing for?

D6 converted, supposedly a 150 or so were built from 1952 to 1967. Used in
sugarcane fields in Florida.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The thing about all these old tractors is that probably two-thirds of the infrastructure we use today, was built by them - roads, highways, dams, railroads, irrigation canals, housing developments, you name it. And tough men drove those machines in all kinds of weather, with no cabs, no heating or air-con, no power steering or fingertip controls.
Lousy steel wire rope, it wore out every couple of hundred hours, and you fought the old stuff out, and the new stuff in, and you wore the spikes from broken wires in your hands.
Grease zerks!! A hundred on every machine, sometimes more! You just got to admire that generation, they're practically all gone today, a lot with shortened lives thanks to many dangers, but their fine work still lives on.

Truck Shop

You just got to admire that generation, they're practically all gone today, a lot with shortened lives thanks to many dangers, but their fine work still lives

Where I live It's 95% dry land wheat steep hillsides in most cases. Farmed for years with crawler tractors.
Around here you can tell the old timer farmers, they are high performance-most have dual hearing aids.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I was surprised to see so many old & well-loved D5/D6 ag tractors when I moved to the Palouse. I was familiar with the typical beat, rusted & long dead forest machines rotting away on the coast. The ag tractors were strange to me with their manual transmissions and weird final drive ratios. Plus, they had original paint and were not rusted out.

Had the opportunity to tour a private collection in Graingville. The 80 YO Gentleman had worked for the local JD dealer most of his career. When Cat dealers sold green implements.

Those Palouse hillside and Prairie farmers were resourceful and developed transmission modifications to add a sixth gear and other tweaks to fine tune the implement ground speeds. Cool stuff.

Coaldust

Occupation

Coaldust

Occupation
That’s for sure, Truck Shop. I had a lot of students from the Prairie and very few stayed after graduation. An occasional farm kid would go back to the farm. Grangeville seems like a nice community. Might be a nice place to retire, but those Prairie winters are a little rough.

Truck Shop

Whitman County the heart of the Palouse had one of the lowest unemployment records in the U.S.
All family farms handed down for years, there were no migrant workers to speak of. Outside of
farming little else existed. Other than WSU in Pullman. Unlike most towns that kind of spread out
around the edges Pullman had it's edge----------like a wall houses stopped and wheat fields started.
But when the 70's came along the generation farm began to slide as some of the younger ones
squandered the farms, happened a lot around here.

Coaldust

Occupation
Working in the traveling health care biz, my wife was always impressed how many self-sufficient, healthy and hardy, elderly patients She met at Pullman Regional. Something about the wheat farming lifestyle , I guess.