• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cracked boom repair

Inthedirt42

Same size crack on opposite side but running up from the bottom of the boom as well. Gouge and weld it up? Additional plating? Dx235

Attachments

• CA3AFCD4-3129-4383-ADBB-C32042B9030A.jpeg
    CA3AFCD4-3129-4383-ADBB-C32042B9030A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 193
  • 3BAF3DEC-2495-4787-80E0-B8A1F93A958F.jpeg
    3BAF3DEC-2495-4787-80E0-B8A1F93A958F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Yea pretty much .is every thing lined up ok no rust problems . Maybe a little preheat. Photos near and far from all sides would help to see if there’s any problems.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It appears to be in Hitachi colors. Is that correct?

John C.

Occupation
The crack being in just in front of the butt section weld indicates to me that a backing plate was properly welded at the factory. My suggestion is that you contact the Doosan dealer and ask for information and maybe raise an issue of defective workmanship or materials. Maybe at the least they will makes some prints and a weld procedure available to you and possibly spring some money on the repair. Is this a backhoe unit or a logger?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Hey inthedirt, is your other 235 a twin to this one? and does it show any signs of cracking also?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That crack right next to a factory weld sets alarm bells ringing. To fix that correctly (not just make a repair that looks pretty from the outside) probably will require some major surgery.
I'll be interested to hear what the Doosan dealer says.
One of the first questions should be - "What exactly is the material spec of the plate and the casting it's welded to..?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Whether or not the manufacturer steps up, that is a structural defect. As Nige said, its gonna need to be repaired on the inside as well. As long as the top and bottom plates are undamaged, repair should be possible. Just playing devils advocate for a bit. Are your pressures set to factory specs? If you invite the dealer to participate, you better believe they will look for "any other cause" abuse, oversized bucket, extended arm, attachment in excess of rated capacity. I'd make sure everything is on the money, then call em up. They don't want their name tarnished by something like this.
Then tell them ,"my Akerman wouldn't have done this.":)

John C.

Occupation
It's Doosan! I suspect their response will be that's too bad.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Looks to me like a lack of weld at end of the vertical pass where it ties into top plate of boom is where crack started .

Inthedirt42

2013 machine. We have two of
Hey inthedirt, is your other 235 a twin to this one? and does it show any signs of cracking also?

Yes it is, no it does not. But we have heard of another unit breaking, but at the stick end of the boom.

It's Doosan! I suspect their response will be that's too bad.

Dealer has been contacted, so we’ll see.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not an apples-to-apples comparison but Ill throw it out there anyway.
This is a Cat stick cracked at the boom pivot as opposed to the nose end, and the crack is longer than the OP's one. However there are similarities - it's a plate welded to a casting.
But here's the deal, for that crack there was a Cat repair procedure. Check out the next photos for just a bit of an idea what it involved.......

upload_2019-4-7_13-20-39.pngupload_2019-4-7_13-23-46.pngupload_2019-4-7_13-27-56.pngupload_2019-4-7_13-26-36.png

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If you follow td25c's suggestion, which is the quickest, at least drill both ends of the crack to prevent migrating. Still think it best to open it up and weld the inside as well. Especially if you're doing pipe work or anything where men may be under boom n bucket at any time.