• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cordless impacts?

mikebramel

I have Milwaukee M18 with the lithium ion battery, it is not the fuel model.
I run the 1/2" drive, puts out about 400 ft lbs, the 3\8 drive, 1\2 drill, 4 1\2 grinder and a LED light.

They do not like water, used in the rain a few times and now hit and miss if they want to work, battery have crapped, have had to replace 2 already, and I find that oil and grease will make the rubber looking parts swell, I have cut most of the rubber stuff off, gets all slippery with a bit of oil anyways, and not like I'm not covered in oil most of the time .

Not having a hose on the end can make for an interesting time trying to find where I left it on the machine LOL.

I'm about 50 50 on if I would buy Milwaukee again. Have several friends that run the snapon doing the same thing I do and haven't had any problems at all.
I would buy a snapon but our dealer went bust.
So for now, they are all living in my garage, out of the elements and they only come out to play on the days when it is not raining which are few and far between where I live.

I also had the "older" model. The power rating was way exaggerated. Supposed to be around 500 more like half that... on a good day. Then both battery cases cracked. Milwaukee warranty is 5 years from defects. Not five years use it wear it out and they will replace it LOL

mikebramel

I believe miliwauke makes the snap on cordless impacts. So save some money and just buy 5 he Milwaukee ones. A couple guys I work with have bought the snap on cordless impacts and have no problems. They are just too proud of it for me to buy it. I'd really like a cordless impact and a cordless grease gun.

I don't think so, all the Snap On ones I have seen are made in the USA where as that can't be said for anything cordless from Milwaukee

mikebramel

I had the same problem of the rubber swelling on my old Milwaukee brush type tools. The new fuel has a different rubber on the handle that isn't supposed to be affected by oil. The new ones are brushless too so they should last longer.

Have the Fuel M12 3/8" impact. Very handy. But the rubber deteriorated within a couple months

partsandservice

I think the snap on electric guns are the way to go. After the warranty expires you can send it in for repairs. I cost about 90 bucks but it does not matter what is wrong with it, flat rate. I dropped one of mine and it broke in half. That more than covered any extra I paid for it to begin with.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Have the Fuel M12 3/8" impact. Very handy. But the rubber deteriorated within a couple months
That's kinda funny , a guy from Milwaukee who doesn't like Milwaukee. Lol

JD955SC

Milwaukee Fuel M18 High torque or the IR W7150 are good impacts.

Everyone I talk to who has brought one of the cordless impacts of that caliber has loved theirs. The Fuel 1/2 high torque is fairly new, the IR has been out for a while.

Not only are they convenient on a day to day basis they are GREAT for junkyard pulling.

Last edited:
Occupation
Field service technician
i have a Matco 1/2 inch and I love it!!! battery lasts about 3-4 days underground and I can do a whole lotta stuff on the miner without air and my handy cordless rattle gun!!!

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Hands down the snap on half inch was the best one I have owned although my Dewalt still gets used every once in a while.

Firemanmike69

I also have a snap on 1/2" 18v impact, lots of power and the batteries last pretty long and charge back up pretty quick

Graham1

I have a Snap-on 18v 1/2 inch impact and it is some of the best money I've ever spent on tools. Batteries last great and huge torque. I says 460ft/lb.
If you work in particularly horrible conditions they do a cover for it to keep out the crap, but I've never found the need.
Graham

Mobiltech

Occupation
What's the price on the snap on 18 volt 1/2 inch?
I have 3 of the Milwaukee 1/2 inch so I'm never down if they need repairs. So far it's just been trigger switch problems on one of them.
I can't imagine dragging a hose around anymore especially in the field.

1466IH

I'm just waiting for them to come out with a 48volt 1" impact. Then you wouldn't even need a compressor on the truck besides the one that runs the brakes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

CraneInnovation

Occupation
Structural Engineer
I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but my friend's dad owns a truck shop and his 3/8" and 1/2" Snap-On cordless guns are worth their weight in gold.

They EASILY match a 1/2" air gun and I've never actually seen one run out of juice on a job. I don't work with them every day, but any time I've picked them up off the bench, they're ready to slam lug nuts off a pickup or bust off some caliper bolts.

I'm not at the point where I am ready to replace all of my tools with Snap-On....but their 1/2" cordless impact gun is on my short list of purchases. It is one of the few tools that genuinely made me go "You've got to be kidding..." (in a good way).

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
I believe the 1/2 cordless impact is like $585. I'd like the cordless impact and the cordless grease gun, but I can't see spending almost a grand on those 2 tools. The impact seems alright, but I only spent $160 on my 1/2" air impact that has 725 ftlb working torque. Or I can get the air cat 1295ftlb gun for only $270, I could buy both of them for less than the one snap on cordless that has less torque than both. It just doesn't seem practical for me.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I believe the 1/2 cordless impact is like $585...
It just doesn't seem practical for me.

I think you have got it summed up. you're right, they are all strong money. and you're right everyones application is different.
personally, I would happily pay more as I value it so much. I don't always have air but do always have batteries or the capacity to charge

Mobiltech

Occupation
If you're in the field the cordless will pay off in a year. No compressor running no truck running no dirty hoses to roll up and no frozen air lines.

Graham1

What's the price on the snap on 18 volt 1/2 inch?
I have 3 of the Milwaukee 1/2 inch so I'm never down if they need repairs. So far it's just been trigger switch problems on one of them.
I can't imagine dragging a hose around anymore especially in the field.

Here in the UK they are about £500 including VAT with two batteries. A lot of money, but if you need a good one, worth it, in my opinion.
Graham

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
ok, sounds like milwaukee or snap on either one are the way to go. it would be nice not having the truck running all the time and not having to mess with a filthy air hose.

nowing75

After reading this I had fastanal bring the Milwaukee rep over to demo the 18 volt fuel. I was very impressed with the tool and the rep was not bad looking girl so I'm getting one . Check your fastanal dealer they are giving a deal plus $100 off if you trade a tool and a 3rd battery. About $400