• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Considering doing EGR Delete of 2011 John Deere 85D excavator. Good or Bad idea?

Serega

I am considering doing EGR delete on my 2011 John Deere 85D excavator (Isuzu AU-4LE2XYSA-O1 engine)
Is it a good or bad idea, and if I do, would it require a re-map or would the ECM be able to re-adjust the air/fuel mixture on its own after the delete?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Someone actually listed the fines before. Both the owner and the company who do the delete get fined, according to info posted on this board it's $3750 for the owner and $37,500 for the conmpany/techs doing the work. These fines are then doubled because in every case there are two vioilations - first removing the DPF and second reprogramming the Electronic Control to run without the DPF.

CatKC

Although 'getting caught' may be unlikely. . . .
In the US-
For any person to remove or render inoperative EPA may assess a civil penalty of up to $3,750 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred between December 6, 2013, and November 2, 2015, and up to $4,527 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred after November 2, 2015 and assessed on or after January 15, 2017 in accordance with Section 205(a) of the CAA, 42 U.S.C. § 7524(a), and 40 C.F.R. Part 19.

Serega

Someone actually listed the fines before. Both the owner and the company who do the delete get fined, according to info posted on this board it's $3750 for the owner and $37,500 for the conmpany/techs doing the work. These fines are then doubled because in every case there are two vioilations - first removing the DPF and second reprogramming the Electronic Control to run without the DPF.

CatKC

IMHO EGR controls -as they are currently implemented- on diesel engines are problematic. While they do decrease NOx they also decrease engine efficiency and life.
By decreasing efficiency more fuel is required to accomplish the same work which increases overall pollution. Shortening engine life will necessitate repairs which increases pollution. (manufacturing parts, transportation of parts or service vehicles)
I would hope, but doubt, calculations would have been made to determine if the end result of the controls would be a ‘decrease’ in emissions before making them a requirement.
As ‘technology advances’, hopefully the emission controls will improve.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Lots of arguments to be made for either side. An attorney told me a phrase one time about doing things that might be a little shady or questionable. He told me to just answer the question with "or what." So in the case of the EPA actually catching what you did you need to ask those types of questions. First issue is that actual change of the system. Will it help or hurt the operation of the engine? Next item might be who would know about it? Do you have employees or neighbors that might learn of it and turn you in? A dealer or mechanic who was doing a repair for you? So far there are no smoke police to catch you. Next item might be the big "or what." What would the authorities do to you if they caught you? Haul you to jail? Probably not. Ticket you and haul you before a judge? Maybe, and fine you plus make you put the machine back to factory spec. But in truth, how many people have you heard of who got in trouble? How many big fines are being assessed for a delete on a mini excavator? Who has gone to jail so far?
Looked at real hard then, it is your machine and do what you want. You are not likely to get caught by anyone if you do your own changes and repairs. But keep quiet about it.
A last thought is that if it needs remapping you had better be good with electronics because you will get nothing from Isuzu or Deere on how the system works or the source code for the software to enable changes.