• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Concrete recycling

kevink

Who has the best set up and why would love to here some input have a small jaw works but slow????????????????

curb guy

We run an Eagle plant.Small,no,still portable.Jaws are fine if you're not concerened about making a spec product and just want to crush down to a useable size.In my opinion,a closed circuit,horizontal impactor is the way to go if you are looking to produce a marketable product.

Turbo21835

Most here run a jaw into a secondary to make a finished product. If you have more time, and are still concerned about big pieces, a hammer, and or a concrete processor on an excavator will get you a lot smaller product to run through a smaller crusher. I know several demolition companies that will use a concrete processor to "crush" their concrete, and then they will track across it once more to further reduce the big chunks left over.

curb guy

Most here run a jaw into a secondary to make a finished product. If you have more time, and are still concerned about big pieces, a hammer, and or a concrete processor on an excavator will get you a lot smaller product to run through a smaller crusher. I know several demolition companies that will use a concrete processor to "crush" their concrete, and then they will track across it once more to further reduce the big chunks left over.

That's how we do it, a LaBounty processor to handle large slabs/chunks,works great.

DirtHog1

We use a combination of a Lippmann 30x62 Jaw and then a Hazemag APPH1515 with a 7x20 screen deck. Good production and can setup in 6 hours.

Coondog

So they rate concrete in psi right? Like 2500 psi to like 4000 psi, or something like that. Is that relevant to the breaking strength? The rock I am crushing daily is anywhere from 29k psi to 40k psi compressive strength. If I'm thinking along the right lines, that would make concrete much easier to crush than my material. Is this a correct assumption or what?

curb guy

Thats right,with concrete,you're not really 'crushing' the limestone aggregate,rather,separating it from the sand,cement that bind it together.Reducing the size of the concrete pieces is really what you're doing.Crushing pure limestone is kind of different,but sort of the same.Hope that makes sense.

DirtHog1

It all depends on how clean (rebar and wire) the concrete is that you are crushing for production. We crush shot limestone also with a Hazemag HSI. The production in limestone is almost twice that of crushing concrete. Crushing concrete you are lucking to keep running more than an hour without some type of problem like tearing belts, getting plugged up etc. A rock crushing crew trying for the first time recycling will quickly realize that crushing rock is much easier.

When selecting a crusher for concrete recycling size does matter! Don't ever let a dealer talk you into a small track crusher if you have any rebar or wire in the concrete. The first time you tie a rope around your ankles and slide down the discharge conveyor belt to cut rebar you will know what I'm talking about.

kevink

Thanks for the info, I have ran impactors for recycling just couldnt afford what we wanted so we bought A small eagle 15X36. We are installing a huge magnet now hope to get at least 50 to 60 tons an hour for awhile just to get started.We have a muncher to process material and luckily rented a yard with a couple hundred tons already processed. Has any one ever used a small jaw like ours for sizing behind a larger jaw or are we wasting our time with a small jaw as a secoundary

thanks in advance

andrewpond

Hi Kevink. I am getting more and more concrete demo work and managing the waste is always a challenge and maybe opportunity. I have been looking into concrete recycling also.
Is your new setup portable? If so what is your setup time/cost?
What equipment r u loading/ managing material with?
How many men and machines does it take to reach your 50 tph?
Thxs

Bezzy

How did you get your set up time down to 6 hours? I have an eagle 1400 and our set up time is about 12 and i am looking for ways to reduce it if i can.

kevink

Well Setup is a day burned and usually ties up a loader and excavator,cost havent put a pencil to it.We load with a rubber tire loader and are feeding it 10 to 20 inch minus concrete which takes awhile to prepare.But the upside is with 20inch minus I run the machine myself and have good luck.We are still working the bugs out but makes 2 in minus roadbase easy and burns no fuel on the crusher it has a small 5.9 cummins for power so great on fuel. Its small but dont have a fortune tied up in it so running it everyday is optional.

pondo

Hello. My bosses says our crushed concrete has passed three engineer's test/review for "A" and "B" gravel in Southern Ontario.

Turbo21835

Feel a bit silly now! I suppose thought it would deteriorate into dust.

Cheers

Depends on its final use. Some say if it is exposed to weather, ie gravel drive/road, weather does deteriorate it. Around us it is used a lot because we dont have much stone here. If we get limestone its been carried from a good distance away via a lake freighter. We do have natural/river gravel mixed with sand as road base. In most cases the crushed concrete gives a better end product. Another use would be crushing and using as a replacement for new aggregates in concrete. I know there are some out there messing around with that portion with good results. It does make sense to me for that use as well. You just need to know your end use, and use the proper product to meet your expectations.