• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compact Track Loader Track Life?

pwrstroke6john

I am in need of a compact machine and the idea of rubber tracks seem to be ideal for working on soft ground and across finished ground like grass. My problem is that most of the work would be done in a campground and all of our roads are paved. Most of the work would be done in the dirt, but all the traveling to the projects would be on pavement, so I am looking for a ball park number of hours I can expect from a set of rubber tracks. Any help is much apprecited.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
In my experience steel tracks tread lighter on delicate terrain. If you're nice to them you should get 2,000 hrs. out of them.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
depending on who is running it owner the highered operator or some young kid owner if he knows how to run it and does not spin around on the pavement 2000 to 3000 opereator the same the kid 1000 800 hrs its all in how you turn on pavement and rocky ground dirt doesn't hurt them as bad but like i said its all in how you turn and operate it dont spin them to much in the dirt

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
joe901

Reckon one of the worst things is mud, soft deep mud, where the trak gear gets full and chokes up. When it starts to dry it grinds away at the rollers and when you get the odd stone in the mud it can rip those rubber rollers to shreds, when you can smell the rubber burning you gotta stop and dig those suckers out. The actual track will last like previous message posted but the rollers need carefull attention, as does track tension. Have found on Cat 277b the tracks need re tensioning about every 100 hours, not a huge job, but must be done. Hope this helps.... Tracks is way better than wheels !!

pwrstroke6john

I would be the only person using it, and I wouldnt reach 3000 hours in 8 years. So i should be set with whatever I end up getting.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
yeah if you are buying new get all the warranty you can it may not break in the first year but if it does like the a/c does on most "have a/c freon leaks most of the time easy fix" but just small things add up over time also the drive motors are still giving some troubles not as many as when they first came out but they still have a few also the idlers occasionally go out 500 -700 dollars depending on which one goes out back are about 500 front i think are 700 750 the rollers are 500 a piece but they hardly ever go out warranty is the way to go on those all track machines they get expensive quick when stuff does break then again you may get a completly trouble free one but i wouldn't chance it also the track tension is something to watch for as easy as they are to tighten it shouldn't be over looked 9/16 wrench and a grease gun is all it takes the radios in them are nice to have also they are alot cheaper then the old jensens they use to have easy to put in i can get one done in an hour or a little under if you are looking at new the t320 has a susspension under carriage that is NICE good ride but it does add to the total cost a customer just bought one with that and sjc controls and it was close to 70,000 i think ac heat the works but they are nice on a hot summer day to be in a/c also adds to the resale and trade in value just :my2c

BIGBEN2004

For your kind of work a Cat or ASV would be the better choice. They are more kind to grassy areas and give you a smooth ride on blacktop. The steel belted rubber tracks are more durable in rougher conditions such as heavy wet clay or rocky type soils but tear up grass more and are rougher on the blacktop and tend to damage the blacktop more also especially on the hot summer days. The best thing you can do is try them out since it is your money and not ours so don't take anyone else's opinion 100% until you try them all and see what fits your needs and budget. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

MXZ

Reckon one of the worst things is mud, soft deep mud, where the trak gear gets full and chokes up.

To a certain degree, I'd disagree with this. Mud and soft conditions are the places where these machines are very beneficial. The key there is to do your daily cleanout which is why I like the Deere so well. Plenty of room to get a shovel in, U/C is tapered to shed material, hoses protected with shields. The most damaging conditions are rock or abrasive/irregular materials like crushed granite and demolition debris which will tear up the belts on steel undercarriage machines or eat up the rubber rollers on the Cat/ASV system.

If you're just transporting on pavement and working off of softer ground, my guess would be the average guy would get 800 to 1200 hours out of a set. A careful operator could probably milk out 1500+ hours.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Three thousand hours on a set of tracks? Your kidding me. Most guys around here see 700-1200 hours. If you can get over 1000 thats in the dam good area. I get about 1500 hours on a set of excavator tracks. I cant imagine getting any more than that on a CTL.

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
Track life expectancy

First set of tracks on 247b 1300hours ( worn through to splitting stage with 19 missing drive lugs ), second set 1700 hours (worn out but still operational). First set on 277B 2050 hours so far (steel rollers on spider drive worn out - replacing tommorrow) tracks still ok may get another 500 hours.

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Bobcat bought out by Doosan or some other Korean company ? Or did they just buy the New Zealand dealership ?

Over here I have never seen a John Deere skiddy, Takeuchi are rare as rocking horse pooh, Komatsu even rarer. You guys really are spoilt for choice.

One thing I have learned the hard way is the more you turn the the more they wear, it means reversing more, and picking the places to turn to create the minimum amount of stress on the bits that touch the ground.

Does anyone out ther run a vibratory roller on your skid steers? Can you tell me if they are as useful as the advertising reckons, or the vibrating plate compactor ?? Do they do the job ? would be very interested in some opinions!

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
i've used a sheeps foot one on a t300 to pack some asphalt shavings it seemed to work pretty good for that put a little pressure on it turned on the aux and went to town did what i needed it to do

equippartsdir

Track Life Expectency

The life expectency of any undercarriage system is largely dependent upon:
* The competence of the Operator
* Undercarriage Maintainence
* Working Conditions
Rubber Tracks are, generally warranted for 1500 hours, regardless of whether the tracks are OEM supplied or Aftermarket Replacement. If your Rubber Tracks are exhibiting premature failure, it is likely due to what is known as as ID10T occurance.

I have customers that are getting 5000 hours off CAT Dozer Undercarriages, because their management teaches the employees the proper methods of operation to ensure their continued employment, keep the company profitable and ensure their future for wage increases. They employ only Union Labor and the operators treat the equipment as if it were their own!

DigDug

This is my second tracked loader. The Case has 500+ hrs. on it . We use it for demo , plowing, commercial & residential dirt work and dont see much wear on them at all. I was thinking they would easily go 2000hrs. Good luck , doug

Attachments

• DSC02511.jpg
    DSC02511.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,330

tylermckee

I put about 500 hours on a hyundai 55 with rubber tracks and saw pretty much no wear at all. But now with another 300 hours in rough rocky conditions i side is torn

Yellowdog

Does anyone out ther run a vibratory roller on your skid steers? Can you tell me if they are as useful as the advertising reckons, or the vibrating plate compactor ?? Do they do the job ? would be very interested in some opinions!

I use a 48inch vibratory roller. 7 years old, miles of crushed limestone roads on it and it still does a great job.

Attachments

• Dillenburg 4-11-05 (7).jpg
    Dillenburg 4-11-05 (7).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,254

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
vibratory roller

cheers for the posting YELLOWDOG.

Would I need to apply extra glue to hold my dentures in? or do the rubber mounts absorb the worst of the vibration ?

Am looking for a good tool for compacting metal for concrete prep work.

Yellowdog

I doubt the vibration will be an issue. I use the Bobcat vibratory roller and can't speak of the others but it isn't bad when it's in contact with the ground. I shut it off when I am lifting it off the ground, however, to minimize shaking. I would rent one first and see how you like it. I think they do an excellent job for crushed base roads, stabilizing some soils (mine is smooth so some soils I can't compact) and crushing some of the bigger rocks when compacting pit run or larger aggregats. The new compactors have even more power than my 2001 model and better frequencies for compaction from what I have read.

Have no idea if it will compact metal?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a T250 with 1800+ hours on it and it's on its 3rd set of tracks. The set that is on there now has about 75% life left. And before I get a "lesson" on how to turn correctly and so on and so forth, that machine has seen some very harsh terrain.

One project involved a natural 2:1 slope in chert, a weathered quartz and clay, that the only machine that would get down and back up was the CTL. If was a big job and we just had to sacrifice a set of tracks for it.

So I have averaged 500-600 hours for a set of CTL tracks in the environments that I work in. Replaced the mini-ex tracks at 1800 hours for the first time. The tread had 30% life left but the T-bar links started popping out from the inside of the track, so we just ran it to failure, one track finally broke in 2.

I also have an older '01 Bobcat vib-roller. The only problem I have had with it is spinning the bearings out. I have replaced 1 before and have another one to replace now. The grease fittings on the older ones, like mine, is hard to access and in my situation I believe the bearing failure is due to lack of greasing and operator error (used by many, cared for by none - recently fixed that problem:cool:). All in all a great little attachment for close quarters compaction. Mine is the padfoot version, but I have a smooth drum bolt on shell for it as well.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
And before I get a "lesson" on how to turn correctly and so on and so forth, that machine has seen some very harsh terrain.

That was my morning laugh. You knew someone would chime in with "proper CTL turning and track management practices".

Yellowdog

So track loaders can operate in harsh, rocky conditions if you are careful? I'm thinking of getting a CTL myself.

By the way, does this picture look like something is leaking under my cab? Cat techs tell me that nothing is leaking. Maybe it's just bacon grease or cornola oil but I swear it looks like I have leaking fits and a leak around drive motor.

Attachments

• service techs told me no leak.jpg
    service techs told me no leak.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 714
  • leaking at pump.jpg
    leaking at pump.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 727
  • more  hydro oil.jpg
    more hydro oil.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 744