• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compact Track Loader Track Life?

9420pullpan

the best advice i can give you for long MTL track life is... run it like a real track loader, no pivot turns keep it off pavement, run a 45 degree angles.. and stay on top of the track tension, keep it out of rock and stone....

hope this helps

Yellowdog

the best advice i can give you for long MTL track life is... run it like a real track loader, no pivot turns keep it off pavement, run a 45 degree angles.. and stay on top of the track tension, keep it out of rock and stone....

hope this helps

If I get a CTL, it will be a steel embed track and no suspension.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Just out of interest, has any MTL or aftermarket manufacturer made a steel CTL/MTL track with bolt on rubber segment pads.

We work in sand mostly. If you are digging a stump with the mini-ex and end up in the hole the soft sand chokes the tracks as does mud. Anybody with rubber tracks will know what its like and of course you lift the track off the ground and run it clear.

I was watching my mate with his little Kubota 41 running around on the rubber segments. Because the track face is not continuous like rubber the dirt falls through and he wasn't having to clear the tracks like we would on rubber.

Will the steel tracks not stand up to CTL speeds?? Surely somebody has tried this...you'd think:confused:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
So track loaders can operate in harsh, rocky conditions if you are careful? I'm thinking of getting a CTL myself.

By the way, does this picture look like something is leaking under my cab? Cat techs tell me that nothing is leaking. Maybe it's just bacon grease or cornola oil but I swear it looks like I have leaking fits and a leak around drive motor.

There is no doubt that you have seepage in hose. I am surprised that they are denying that, it is obvious that it is leaking. How did the repairs go, did they get the machine sealed up?

Yellowdog

There is no doubt that you have seepage in hose. I am surprised that they are denying that, it is obvious that it is leaking. How did the repairs go, did they get the machine sealed up?

Field tech saw same thing almost a month ago and said it wasn't leaking. I asked where the oil came from..no answer. I cleaned up under the cab and didn't put too many more hours on it and that's what it did.

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
compacting metal !

American terminology differs from NZ terms, our aggregate is referred to as 'metal' here. I have discovered lots other differences and sometimes am confused :confused: with what you call things, I'm gettin there tho. :rolleyes:

Our 277C just gone in for complete new tracks and all rollers @ 750 hours.

Interesting thread.... how many operators from different countries using this forum ???:beatsme

some say "if it's not a cat it's a dog ":D

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
American terminology differs from NZ terms, our aggregate is referred to as 'metal' here. I have discovered lots other differences and sometimes am confused :confused: with what you call things, I'm gettin there tho. :rolleyes:

Interesting thread.... how many operators from different countries using this forum ???:beatsme

I hope you made your money in the first 750 hours sounds like you will be parting with some of it.

I demoed a 256C and came away completely not impressed. The E/H is very marginal, wheel torque was poor, and the machine refused to lift a 73" bucket of material "pit run" out of a pile. The machine had to be backed up before it could lift out. The bucket was noticeably smaller than our 73" low pro extended lip buckets. The machines most admirable ability was its breakout which was good. If this machine was not a dog than I don't what is. Maybe the 272C is better, have not tried one of those yet. What I know is the 256C doesn't rate to be on the same job site as the CASE 440 I was comparing it to.

Yellowdog

Back to CTL track life. This pic is about the most extreme that i'm willing to work on anymore as far as clearing. Beyond that, I tell the folks that I don't want to tear up my tires. Is it possible to effectively use a CTL on terrain like this if the operator is careful or would he just be asking for damage to tracks?
What about crushed limestone driveway work like is pictured and covered the rocky area in the first pic?

Attachments

• Mosemeyer (1).jpg
    Mosemeyer (1).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 699
  • mosmeyer 8-05 (1).jpg
    mosmeyer 8-05 (1).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,746
Last edited:

Treemow

I spread crushed granite and limestone all the time with a Mustang MTL 25 and it doesn't seem to bother the tracks or undercarriage.Spinning the tracks while mulching trees tends to scar them.

Prairie Dog

Our ASV has the same tracks and we made about 800 hours before doing all the bearings and rollers. We are pretty tired of the repairs on our machine right now.

Digdeep

Our ASV has the same tracks and we made about 800 hours before doing all the bearings and rollers. We are pretty tired of the repairs on our machine right now.

I know that ASV now offers metal face seals and tapered bearings in their undercarriages now.

Dirt Pro

case 450 ct replacement tracks

i was told that knowbody makes replacement tracks for my case 450 ct, except for bridgestone, because the center section of each roller is about 1/4 inch larger diameter than the outer section of the roller. anyway, i need new tracks asap, case wants $5,000 and other companys want $2,800 or so. some companys track weighs 480lbs per track, some 660lbs per track. thats a big difference in my opinion. i orderd a set and they sent me a different tread pattern than what i orderd, the stock staggerd block or D style. they said they didnt have that pattern after all. i sent them back. any help would be much appriciated. some of the small cables inside the track are starting to break. thank you.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the forums Dirt Pro!

Have you tried Solideal? I know some members may not speak highly of them but I have a set of their tracks on my T250 and 334 mini-ex and I have been very pleased. The T250 tracks were 1/2 price of what Bobcat wanted. Don't know if they make a set for your machine but it's worth a try.

Dirt Pro

thats great, ill give them a call. have you used this new asv style tread pattern before? how do you biuld roads and such out of what looks like sand in AL. and where do you get gravel from? trains? just curious. thanks for the welcome! glad to be here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
have you used this new asv style tread pattern before?

The set I have on my T250 would be the ASV style - it's kinda like a chevron pattern. They have held up well.

how do you biuld roads and such out of what looks like sand in AL. and where do you get gravel from? trains? just curious. thanks for the welcome! glad to be here.

Actually Birmingham sits at the end of the Appalachian Mountain range. At the turn of the century it was the steel making capital of the south. The "mountains" or hills to the folks out west, were and still are rich with iron ore. Underground mines poliferate the surrounding area of Birmingham and we have run into them before. A mine study is normal on any suspect property.

Shelby county, which is south of B'ham but a suburb nonetheless, is home to some of the highest quality limestone in the region. Quarries and lime kilns dot the landscape in the southern part of the county. The side product is an abundant supply of crushed limestone aggregates from many different quarries. Asphalt and concrete plants are usually located on or adjacent to the quarries.

What also brought the steel boom 100 years ago also gives us relatively cheap redi-mix concrete as well. Raw steel making requires limestone, iron ore, coal, sand and other items. There are several cement kilns located locally, an abundant supply of aggregates, flyash from all the coal fired cement kilns and a good supply of sand 40 miles or so south. All of this reduces the transportation costs of the raw materials. I am still getting 3000 PSI for $68 per CY.

The northwest part of the state is home to some very large coal strip mines. It is where Drummond Company, a very large mining outfit, got it's start.

The soil composition does change rather drastically south of my location. The rock and clay turn into sand and pea gravel. Here in B'ham the soil composition changes from site to site. Rock is something we deal with on a regular basis. The blasting and rock hammering business is pretty good.:cool:

thanks for the welcome! glad to be here.
Welcome aboard.

Dirt Pro

just orded some rubber tracks from rubber tracks usa. i got 450 hrs out of the first set that came on the machine. probably shouldnt have told anyone that. ha ha! oh well, i use it all the time. any season, rain or shine.

Dirt Pro

anyone ever have issues with a polycarbonate door on a cab air machine? ive broken the glass in mine a few times from hitting rocks with my brushmonster. and lexan seems to attract dust.

Digdeep

just orded some rubber tracks from rubber tracks usa. i got 450 hrs out of the first set that came on the machine. probably shouldnt have told anyone that. ha ha! oh well, i use it all the time. any season, rain or shine.

That seems a little low. In my experience selling Bobcats with Bridgestone tracks they would usually last from about 500-800 hours with the occasional set getting up to about 1000hours. I usually saw shorter life out of the aftermarket tracks- AVON, McClaren, Solideal, etc.(400-650 or so) It boils down to what you feel comfortable paying for. make sure you change your sprockets when you get the new tracks. The older sprockets will cause you get get shorter life on your new tracks with the possibility of ripping out the bars in them. I'm surprised that Rubber tracks USA did not tell you that.

therealjohnboy

The tracks on my T190 were about 60% at 900hrs when i traded it in on a New Holland C175, but so far the tracks are 60% worn at 285hrs on it. Bobcat had Bridgestone Tracks and the New Holland has Solideal they are rubbish fast wearing and chip and tear easily. Worst of all I baby my machines so i hope the next set wear a lot better.

John