• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chinese Tires

ryerse1

put an astro one one side of my hoe and a firestone on the other 220 years ago astro is all weather checked firestone still in good shape

Giblet

The difference I see in Chinese branded tires and tires branded in other compnay names but manufactured in China is that the Chinese brands have different testing procedures than their american counterparts. I work in automotive testing and see this quite often in comparisons of test specifications.

JDOFMEMI

My 14G grader has 3 Goodyear and one Chinese, I think it is a Triangle, not sure, on the drivers. I was on a rough job pioneering in a road in some rock to get trucks running. After a couple of hrs, nearly half of the tread on the Chinese tire had been peeled off to the cords. I know, I should be more careful not to spin. I was, and can't remember a time they rotated more than 1/2 turn.
The tires are all L-3's, and getting pretty slick, so traction is not what it used to be. The thing about it, I could not even find a small cut, slice, scuff, or anything in thr Goodyear tires, but the other one was shredded.

On the other hand, I still have one original tire from when I got the blade 12 years ago. It had 6 auction special Chinese tires on it. 1 blew out the first week on a rock I would not think twice of hitting with any tire I had ever had. It was even a front tire! so, one lasted a week, and one has lasted 12 years, with the rest somewhere in between.

I would say the lack of consistent quality is one of the big problems. From the one great tire, I know they CAN build a good tire, but the others show that they don't always do it.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Which is why when you buy tires, or anything else for that matter, look at it closely before you plunk down your cash. If it says c-h-i-n-a on it turn and run the other way and run as far as your little legs will carry you as long as you can.

JDOFMEMI

Off topic slightly, but I bought some ESCO teeth for my excavator last week, and when we put them on, I noticed on the side they were made in China. That is a first, as I have always used them, and never seen them made there before.

I hope they last like they used to, but I guess I will soon find out. They were no cheaper than before either.

Captain_Kiwi

I can add that we sell Mitas a little, worth it`s cost, and managed to get good prices from Michelin for small sized tires (backhoes etc) so them are competitive.

But dealing with Michelin on 40"+ size - this is something like hell came true (i`ve been into discussions within two dealerships and 3 years time). No cooperation, just pressure, and ridiculous prices..

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Off topic slightly, but I bought some ESCO teeth for my excavator last week, and when we put them on, I noticed on the side they were made in China. That is a first, as I have always used them, and never seen them made there before.

I hope they last like they used to, but I guess I will soon find out. They were no cheaper than before either.

Esco is now making all there teeth upto V51 size in china.

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
My 14G grader has 3 Goodyear and one Chinese, I think it is a Triangle, not sure

Well, theres your problem.. you needed a Round tire.
dc3ajm.gif

Alex.

JDOFMEMI

You got me there!

Nice little drumroll smiley there. Too bad it don't show up. At least it is clickable.

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
At least it is clickable.

For some reason the "img" tags are turned off here (even though I've got them turned on in the control panel).
Glad you got a chuckle out of it.

Alex.

toomanymachines

I have grown up in a tire shop that my father ran for 39 years and have run my own for the last 14 or so years now.
Chinese tires have a place on both the farm and industry.
North American tires are frequently not available, at any price. The chinese built tire was imported by north american businesses to fill a need. Firestone or michelin are great tires. For the farm end of things the price gap between offshore and north american has become alot smaller. Michelin is still priced higher than bridgstone or yokohama's. My father purchased direct from Michelin, and they never made any mistakes. They only built the best, they never had warranty issues because they never made a mistake. or that is what they think of themselves. They never hire staff from the industry. They hire new people and train them that thought, we only build the best and never make mistakes. It was impossible to get warranty from them.
I sell alot of offshore tires to people for farm trucks 11/22.5 caps are not as great a deal as the guys will not wear a tire out but have to change it as it will not pass a safety. Any cracking and they will not pass a dot safety. The chinese tires offer a better value.

Maybe chinese tires fail alot faster, and I have to agree, but when someone has to invest 10 to 40 thousand dollars on a machine that is only worth that at the best of times, they look for a cheaper alternative. I did alot of labour swapping tires and repairing for a farmer as the cost to replace all 8 trelleborgs was going to be around the 40 grand mark.
I have customers with chinese farm tires that are 8 to 10 years old. I have seen goodyear and titan (who now owns goodyear farm tire division)
fail in a much shorter period of time for much more money. My cost on westlake rakla tires went up 30% last year alone. If the demand is high, they may as well make more money.
I have also to say that alot of the tires are being built in bran new facilities. I was told by my one sales rep that his boss went to indonisia to a factory and you could eat off the floor. If yo went to a north american facility the machines were 60 years old and sunken into the crumbling concret floor. Tires were still being built by hand, someone would walk over tot he wall and unroll a sheet of rubber, cut it iff with a knife and cary it over and place it into a mold. Not saying one way is better than the other.
On a different note, I have to say that as a kid growing up only once or twice a year would I ever get a tire to balance up perfect, Now I see one every few weeks. so something is getting better.
One last comment I have seen Kelly springfeild and BFG, med truck, firestone light truck, goodyear passenger and others all built in asia. You cannot assume if it is a north american name it is built in north america.