• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

changing trans.fluid ?

Lee Timmons

Hi all,
I have one more question I'd like to ask. I've decided to change all the fluids and filters on my 1989 jd 210c. It says that it holds 8 qts of oil in the trans. When I drained the oil it sure didn't look like 8qts.to me. Does the torque converter still have oil in it when you drain the trans.system? If so how do you make sure you're replacing that òld oil too? Is there some way to get it out? Or maybe you just leave it in? And i checked the dipstick before draining and it showed full. The trans.,torque converter, and reverser are all together right? How about the rearend and wet brakes, where does that oil come from?
thanks for any and all responses, Lee

Equipmentguy224

Not an expert here, but what about this: Do you check the oil on your machine when it is hot or cold? If it was cold when you checked it and it is supposed to be checked warm/hot (which I don't know), there might have been too little oil In there.
To clear out the old oil from the system you could put new stuff in there, run it for awhile, and drain it out when still warm (not hot or you might hurt yourself) that should get rid of the old oil.
Correct me if i'm wrong

Delmer

on some (most heavy equipment?) you can access the bottom of the torque converter and turn the engine until a small plug comes into view. Remove that plug to drain the torque converter.

hosspuller

look on the bottom of the bellhousing. There will be a rubber plug, two or three inches in diameter. Likely painted so hard to see. That's the access to the TC drain plug Delmer is speaking of.

Lee Timmons

Thanks, I saw the plug yesterday, figured it was to access something in the bell housing but didn't know what. Can i assume that you drain it,replace the plug,put the recommended amount of hyd.fluid in (8 qts if I remember right ) and when you start the engine the torque converter will fill up? Or do you prefill it somehow?
i want to say thanks to you all for helping me out, i know I've been asking a lot of questions lately. Without the input from everyone I'd be lost.
Thanks Lee

RDC_580C

Some replacement TQ don't have a plug on them, so depending on the history of the machine it may or may not be there, and even if it is sometimes it can be hard to see, so have someone rotate the engine by hand slowly while you are under there checking for the plug on it.

After you drain everything, you'll want to put in 3 quarts first, then start the machine at a low idle and immediately put in 'the rest' of the fluid. That first 3 quarts and starting it will let the charge pump fill the TQ up, as the Shuttle can't hold all 8 quarts at once. Now 'the rest' is kind of dependent, as you'll never get all of the old fluid out of there without tearing the thing apart. If the TQ has a plug and you get it drained, then I'd only go with 4 more quarts for the rest, making 7 total to start. If the TQ has no plug and could not be drained only go with 2-3 more. Then while it's idling, shift the Shuttle from Forward to Reverse (you don't need to actually move the machine) so it can work into all of the passages and such. Then when the Shuttle oil is at operating temperature, give it a good 5min or so idling to warm up, with the machine running and the Shuttle in Neutral check the fluid level and add as necessary to hit the full mark.

Lee Timmons

Some replacement TQ don't have a plug on them, so depending on the history of the machine it may or may not be there, and even if it is sometimes it can be hard to see, so have someone rotate the engine by hand slowly while you are under there checking for the plug on it.

After you drain everything, you'll want to put in 3 quarts first, then start the machine at a low idle and immediately put in 'the rest' of the fluid. That first 3 quarts and starting it will let the charge pump fill the TQ up, as the Shuttle can't hold all 8 quarts at once. Now 'the rest' is kind of dependent, as you'll never get all of the old fluid out of there without tearing the thing apart. If the TQ has a plug and you get it drained, then I'd only go with 4 more quarts for the rest, making 7 total to start. If the TQ has no plug and could not be drained only go with 2-3 more. Then while it's idling, shift the Shuttle from Forward to Reverse (you don't need to actually move the machine) so it can work into all of the passages and such. Then when the Shuttle oil is at operating temperature, give it a good 5min or so idling to warm up, with the machine running and the Shuttle in Neutral check the fluid level and add as necessary to hit the full mark.

Thanks for the info, seems pretty straight forward, except maybe finding the plug in the TQ. Seems funny that there are no filters for this system. Meaning the whole trans.,reverser, brake system. Then again, i guess it's like the inside of a manual transmission in a car,and there's no way of filtering it.
Thanks again

Last edited:

RDC_580C

Welcome. There is a strainer in the Shuttle, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the pan and clean it out and replace the o-ring on it after draining the fluid, but it's not really required.