• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cdl

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
"Implement of husbandry: A vehicle designed or adapted and determined by the Department to be used exclusively for agricultural operations and only incidentally operated or moved upon highways."

At least here in Pa you don't need a CDL to operate an implement of husbandry. Now, I'm pretty sure that means you can drive your tractor from the barn down the road to the cornfield, bit I'm not sure you can drive your "farm vehicle" plated truck into town to deliver the corn.

On edit:

Google is a wonderful thing. I found this info in the first document I looked at. The last line answers the question:

The Title 75 Farm vehicle registration is that the vehicle can be only driven in daylight, within 25 miles of the farm and be used for the transport of agriculture supplies and commodities.

Weight is also important where vehicles under 17000 lbs are require an annual inspection where those vehicles over 17000 lbs need to be inspected twice a year. Most farm vehicles do not need to be inspected however once they drive on the road they can be subject to state inspection code. What this means is that the vehicle needs to have functioning brakes, lighting, steering, tires and wheels. Original options must be maintained, if the vehicle came with a horn then it must be operable. This protects both the farmer and the motorists.

The operator of farm vehicles must hold a valid class C drivers license and can operate the vehicle within a 150 mile radius of the farm.

Last edited:

xkvator

be careful what and where you are hauling with the farm plate...the roaming DOT are pulling over a lot more smaller trucks now than they used too.
seems like a couple years ago, unless your S.A. truck/trailer didn't look roadworthy, they waved you thru.
my neighbor has a farm, and had a very nice LN8000, new 12' dump, painted, chrome, etc. About 15 years ago, I was hauling coal for myself and each of their houses, and was stopped by the state police for the farm plate...I was about 25 - 30 miles from home. they didn't believe i was hauling for the farm only. i have a CDL, the truck had no violations, but they kept me sitting there while they made calls to try to fine me for the farm plate. they finally just told me to get moving after almost an hour.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Just got my class A with air brake the beginning of this month. It was tough but I just practiced the course and the drop and hook until I knew it all by heart. Going to the the double and triple and tank endorsment sometime soon.....

nedly05

I used to move early in the morning, scared to death. I finally just went and got the class A, and as much as I dreaded the road test, that 1 hour of nervousness was better than being paranoid all the time moving without it!!