• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Sproket Removal (also Komatsu)

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Yair . . .

Just curious, what's the motley looking carry-on inside the gear case in Mobiltech's third photo?

Cheers.
Yup its just bad lighting , the D10 looked like new inside other than the duo cone seal. I find it easier to do these on the machine rather than wrestling the whole thing off. There is no shop where I did that job so I did a lot of tarping and parts covering

tctractors

Mobiltech, I Love it, if I could get extra money for having a few widgets like you have I would have the best sparkling set up around, sadly the U.K. is to used to manual labour with little thought for the Donkey doing the job.
I have been heavily involved with the design and fitting of loader cranes onto trucks also trailers (trailors USA) these have been top end jobs, the last 1 was a 200 tonner onto a custom built bed, there is a few snaps of it in this thread some place, it can lift a D8K up without any drama.
tctractors

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
There's probably a good reason for it which isn't immediately apparent but to get a tractor back to work PDQ surely it would have been faster to swap the complete FD out for a swing unit rather than pullt it apart on the tractor...?
Most of the contractors I do work for don 't have enough of each machine to have parts rebuilt and waiting to install. When a D11 goes down there is only one so you have to fix it as fast as possible which includes some patch work until the job is done and it can be shut down for proper repair. Of course you have to weigh the pros and cons of possibly causing more damage.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When a D11 goes down there is only one so you have to fix it as fast as possible which includes some patch work until the job is done and it can be shut down for proper repair. Of course you have to weigh the pros and cons of possibly causing more damage.
Agreed. I'm used to fleets of equipment where you have maybe half a dozen identical machines and so of course you have swing components. We'd just swing a final drive on a D11 even for something like a leaking Duo-Cone seal, because most of the time once it was pulled apart you'd have a 50/50 chance that it wasn't just a seal leaking but something else deep inside the component was actually the root cause, and of course Sod's Law dictates you wouldn't have parts on hand for it.

nicky 68a

Nice Land T.C.Porridge is still surprised you let me drive your old one,never mind the new one.
If you have gone abit quiet,I have that slippery trans setting to look at on a D8.I feel you would be pulling the valve chests out.It works great ,but for last 800 hrs the reverse selection is stiff . It's much better pulling box.can jump into forward when ticking over.This all started when I buggered about with the seat off for some wiring up jobs.Come on up if you fancy.
Your beloved Mild has been replaced with Theakstons XPA...

tctractors

Nicky, the "Firm" is always busy but I will catch up with you soon, yesterday I had a 400 mile round trip up past Hull to view a D8H 22A with a few Wounds that need a bandage, this tractor is part of the equipment used on a large Farm that also do outside contracting, the usual dozer on a Farm is a CAT D4 or Track Marshall, these people pull out the Big Gun D8 and get stuck in to moving muck fast, this tractor is a long time member of the Farm equipment with the thoughts to spruce the chariot up as there might be 10 years more viable work to get out of the beast, the Fuel to muck shifted with this clutch machine (D-D) is very good compared to modern tractors that would be affordable on a Farm, the repair involves popping down both F/Drives, fettling the track frames including a massive tidy up, finishing off the task with a sand blast and paint job with stickers dabbed on in the correct spots.
tctractors

nicky 68a

Nicky, the "Firm" is always busy but I will catch up with you soon, yesterday I had a 400 mile round trip up past Hull to view a D8H 22A with a few Wounds that need a bandage, this tractor is part of the equipment used on a large Farm that also do outside contracting, the usual dozer on a Farm is a CAT D4 or Track Marshall, these people pull out the Big Gun D8 and get stuck in to moving muck fast, this tractor is a long time member of the Farm equipment with the thoughts to spruce the chariot up as there might be 10 years more viable work to get out of the beast, the Fuel to muck shifted with this clutch machine (D-D) is very good compared to modern tractors that would be affordable on a Farm, the repair involves popping down both F/Drives, fettling the track frames including a massive tidy up, finishing off the task with a sand blast and paint job with stickers dabbed on in the correct spots.
tctractors

About 15 grand then TC......He he

Mud Logger

tctractors, What great pictures of heavy duty component work on mostly Cat tractors. I used to pull the finals quite often on mostly D7E,s. Once in awhile a steer clutch flange. One could rent the press/puller from the local Cat or independent track shop. I always have a lot of respect and admiration for the field mechanics who do this bull work in all kinds of weather. Thank you.

tctractors

Mud Logger, I am stuffing together a F/Drive on a D7 Series E tractor in the next few days, the E series tractors have the bigger dead shaft outer nut with a 2"1/8th x 12 thread, the D7 back end chunks take a good bit of lifting about as the gears are thick and heavy just like me, I do get some customers ask me to fix a flashing beacon or oil change their mini digger, I just tell them "No Chance" as I don't look for that sort of work as my Heart would not be in it, on the weather front item well it Pissed down rain in some form today, lucky for me I was fitting a water pump that I had just rebuilt on a CAT D4D 7R series (French built Power Shift) so I had the full wet Togg's on as the job had to be done, thank you for your post in this Tread, I hope it brings back good memories for you of times past, it is always good for me to hear from other folk that do or did this line of work. tctractors Living the Dream

tctractors

Just thought I would sprout off a few verbs as its been a few days, today was a tough day at the office with loads of Sledge Hammer action and chunks flying off an old banger at a Quarry, the excavator is a long reach VC20? I think it was with a plate saying R.B. International screwed to the door panel, I had to jack up the carbody to pull out the track groups it also has 11 bottom rollers knackered on 1 side only, the other side is fit to go , it also has a track drive gearbox failed plus loads of other issues needing a lot of time to sort, I will post a few pictures asap.
tctractors

Strachan

Hey tony

Just a quick question do you have a good source for d rings working a lot on old scrapers now and struggling to get hold of any and my stocks are dwindling

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
tctractors,good to hear you are out and about. Came across brand new Range Rover here on weekend. Well this is American version,Brite red and black. Sports model. Would never last in your world. It is an hour drive from here. Will send a picture when I come across it

tctractors

Strachan, if its the D section O rings you are speaking of, I have about 4 tray box's of them that will last my life out, I think I bought them in Auction sales in amongst other parts, I have seen them listed in the 1 Safe Source books but its not something I would buy as stock.

B.P. Range Rovers used to be used by Farmers at 1 time, now they are the chariot of the "Well Heeled" (Money Rotten) as a half fancy 1 costs around £100'000 mark, the Chinese buy Yellow ones from the U.K. at around the £250'000 spot, I drove a fancy banger (brand new R/Rover) around the Eastnor Test Track about a month ago, it realy was fantastic off road but I would have no need for such a banger.
tctractors

lantraxco

Loved the old CAT metal backed seals in the flanges, thank God and CAT they haven't made any in thirty years, lol. :eek:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Loved the old CAT metal backed seals in the flanges, thank God and CAT they haven't made any in thirty years, lol. :eek:

Last I knew there was still a kit full of them at the shop when I retired. Someone is going to stumble on those someday and wonder what the heck they are! Two problems with them is the steel part would flex and crack causing a leak and when replacing them they would fall out as they were a loose fit in the hose end which probably was the reason they flexed and failed in the first place!

As for the D-ring seals once in a while I have found where someone installed them where a standard o-ring was to be used. The last time this was on one of the pumps under the cab of a 980G. As it is just about impossible to get to this fitting with the cab in place I believe this was installed wrong at the factory as I know I was the first person to pull cab since this loader left the factory!

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
B.P. Range Rovers used to be used by Farmers at 1 time, now they are the chariot of the "Well Heeled" (Money Rotten) as a half fancy 1 costs around £100'000 mark, the Chinese buy Yellow ones from the U.K. at around the £250'000 spot, I drove a fancy banger (brand new R/Rover) around the Eastnor Test Track about a month ago, it realy was fantastic off road but I would have no need for such a banger.
tctractors

It's the same here with what we call Pick-up trucks. Used to be very simple basic vehicles, no upholstery other than vinyl seat covers and rubber floor mats, fancy models actually had a radio. If you got the inside all mucked up you could open doors and have at it with garden hose and have at it! What is now sold as truck now days I would not even want to walk past with greasy hands for fear of causing many dollars of damage needing professional cleaning. An the fancy rims with those low profile tires don't look like they would last a day running around a quarry!

lantraxco

Walking through a mall the other day, saw a single rear wheel F350 diesel all pimped out... $65,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I put that kind of money out, it better come with a jacuzzi tub and a couple willing ladies half my age..... :eek:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Lantraxco

That F truck would be close to double that here, this is our basic work horse at a real good price . . . . .

Toyota / LandCruiser 70 / GXL Cab Chassis

*price excludes on road costs and dealer delivery fees

Price:$62,790

The basics:

Series: VDJ79R
VIN (prefix): JTELV71J600######
Model release date: August / 2012
Category: PU/CC 4X4
Body Type: Cab Chassis
Doors: 2
Seats: 2
Engine: 4.5Litre (4461cc) - V8