• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D6N ECM issues

Curry102180

Akm00328, also I have a 6r showing code 164-11 actuation pressure failure mode. I dont know what that means. I know something in the fuel system is failing but i don't know what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on these 2 issues

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
164-11 (Injector Actuation Pressure system fault) states the following.....

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects one of the following conditions:
1. The actual injection actuation pressure and the desired injection actuation pressure differ by more than 3 MPa (435 psi).
2. The current to the injection actuation pressure control valve is at either the maximum output or the minimum output for an excessive period of time.
Note: The diagnostic code indicates a mechanical problem. The ECM and the electronic control system are operating correctly.

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. Symptoms may be any of the following: -
Low power
Unstable idle
Difficult to start at normal operating temperatures
Easy to start below normal operating temperatures

Test is - "Injection Actuation Pressure - Test". To carry out this test will require the use of Cat ET.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You haven't stated whether or not it is active. If it is there with be something in the upper right corner of the display. SRV CD or a star or something.

Before you go to the expense of a dealer wrench you cold find someone with a clicker box and just try to erase the code.

Curry102180

I gained access to cat et, I have ran actuation test and it showed everything to be working properly, however I also ran cut out tests on it and had 2 inj running lower pressures and were not really affecting machine performance when cut off, I changed those 2 out and calibrated them, it now seems to run worse. Serial FDT00152. This machine only has 663 hrs on cat reman crate motor. Idk what else to do.

Nige

I'm getting confused here. We're talking about 2 different machines (AKM00328 & FDT00152) and I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding which one has which problem. Can you spell it out a bit more clearly please and how many operating hours does each engine have..? Engine hours are critical when diagnosing HEUI engine fuel system issues.

Also as John C says, is the CID 0164 FMI11 Diagnostic Code Active or Logged..?

Last one. What brand engine of oil and filters are you using..?

Curry102180

Akm00328 has ecm issues only detecting monitor ecm machine has 10,736 hrs

Fdt00152 has the injector trouble, and 164-11 is both active and logged, machine engine hrs are 663, it has had all new harnesses and computers within the 663hrs. We run rotella 15-40 oil and cat he filters all the way around.

Nige

For the AKM00328 monitor issue is it throwing any Diagnostic Codes..?
IMHO and based on experience it ought to at least throw a "Failure To Communicate" or a Cat Datalink Diagnostic Code. It might be worthwhile getting on it with ET and look for Codes. Also I have had success in the past by re-flashing the affected ECM with the same Part Number of software that is in it right now. Sometime ECM's can lose data when they shut down and unfortunately unlike your PC/laptop/whatever there is nothing like a Windows self-repair facility in an ECM despite the fact it's actually nothing more than a dedicated computer.
If the installed software flash file Part Number is not the latest then you have 2 options - update everything to the latest software flash files or simply re-flash the monitor ECM with the same Part Number as it has installed right now. Don't go mixing software from different generations in different ECM's, it's a recipe for disaster.

Regarding FDT00152, it is impossible that a Diagnostic Code can be BOTH Active & Logged at the same time.....
Either a Code is Active, which means it's right there right now, or it's Logged, which means it was there once but it is not there right now.

If I was you I'd be changing oils. I wouldn't use Shell in a personal vehicle let alone a big yellow machine.
Specifically for HEUI engines my first oil preference would be Cat DEO (it's especially useful if you ever run into warranty issues with Cat), but I have had good results from Conoco Guardol ECT and Mobil Delvac 1300.

Nige

You can have active and logged code at the same time
Please enlighten me as to how this can happen..........

I agree that if you have a Diagnostic Code that has appeared at various times in the past but is Active right at the time you are connected with ET then it will appear in both the list of Logged Codes and also of Active Codes. But just try erasing it from the list of Logged Codes - you will not be able to do that until you fix it and change its status from an Active Code to a Logged Code and at that time it will disappear from the Active Diagnostic Code list.

If any Diagnostic Code appears only in the list of Logged Codes it is considered to be a Logged Code and can be erased.
If any Diagnostic Code only appears in the list of Active Codes (but may also appear in the list of Logged Codes as well) it is considered to be an Active Code.

Curry102180

Thanks nige, it was still active, I changed fuel pressure regulator, and oil & filter looked like molasses syrup, machine has cleaned up and is running a lot better. It still has a slight flutter sound in it at full throttle, but I think it will clear up after a little run time, the operator lied about maintenance on it judging by the way oil looked, what is wrong with rotella oil?, thats all i have ever used in diesels. I run it in my personal pickup and have never had any issues.

On akm00328 machine it is throwing a invalid data link code and only pulling up monitor ecm, all fuses are good going to trace power wires out today and see if I have a burned up power wire going to other 2 ecms

Curry102180

Thanks nige, it was still active, I changed fuel pressure regulator, and oil & filter looked like molasses syrup, machine has cleaned up and is running a lot better. It still has a slight flutter sound in it at full throttle, but I think it will clear up after a little run time, the operator lied about maintenance on it judging by the way oil looked, what is wrong with rotella oil?, thats all i have ever used in diesels. I run it in my personal pickup and have never had any issues.

On akm00328 machine it is throwing a invalid data link code and only pulling up monitor ecm, all fuses are good going to trace power wires out today and see if I have a burned up power wire going to other 2 ecms

Nige

Thanks nige, it was still active, I changed fuel pressure regulator, and oil & filter looked like molasses syrup, machine has cleaned up and is running a lot better. It still has a slight flutter sound in it at full throttle, but I think it will clear up after a little run time, the operator lied about maintenance on it judging by the way oil looked, what is wrong with rotella oil?, thats all i have ever used in diesels.
My answer about Shell (and please understand that it's personal opinion and everyone has their own) I have had so many bad experiences with Shell lubricants over the years that I have lost count. HEUI engines like the one in your D6 are very picky about oil and especially if you get into wear issues with the HEUI system (been there, done that, got the t-shirt) you quickly learn what works and what doesn't.......

On the subject of Shell Rotella and digressing slightly, but it's good an an example, where I am right now we have in the past few weeks discovered an issue with a particular Cat C13 engine with 9k hours that started throwing low engine oil pressure warnings about 1 day before it was due for PM oil/filter change. From that starting point we investigated and discovered that we have not just one but EIGHT C13 engines (our whole fleet of C13's) in trouble, all of which have high sulphation and oxidation at PM time allied to an oil viscosity that has risen from that of new oil, not fallen. Guess what engine oil we're using - yes it's Shell Rotella. I have switched one engine to Cat oil as a trial and immediately the oxidation/sulphation numbers have halved and are now in a range that I would consider "normal". Now ask me again why I don't like Rotella ..........??

Obviously every place is different but as I said before I wouldn't use Shell oil in my personal ride let alone big yellow iron, TBH I'd buy oil from Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries before I'd buy Shell.

Curry102180

The code is active on fdt00152, and what is wrong with rotella I use it in everything i have and have for yrs and never had any trouble. Changed oil and filters on it ran good for a little while then went back to doing same thing. Where is actuation pressure control located at? I also changed out fuel pressure regulator thought that might help but idk.

Curry102180

Sorry I didn't mean to double post. I now understand your reason for the dislike of shell oils. I will see if my boss will go for switching brands of oil. I will probably have to switch to delo its a very limited area for supplys, nearest parts, and supplys are 100 miles away.