• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Bucket Tooth

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Any of you ever worked with Esco Smartfit? I'm getting close to needing to change mine. Looks like a decent system, IF they come out as good as they do on YouTube.

I admit I know nothing about Esco Smarfit, but are we sure that's Esco? That's exactly, right down to patent design of how Hensley XS and sibling Komatsu Kmax work. That locking pin looks exactly like XS and Kmax.

Shimmy1

Ya, sorry. I'm not sure why I thought they were Esco. A little more digging and it appears they are Case design.

Edit: I edited my previous post, removed the Esco part. It appears they were designed by CNH right here in ND. I'll be sure to update when I get around to changing them. They seem tough as hell. I've dug hundreds of big rocks for farmers, the teeth are still tight. They've lasted quite a while, but that's because most of the work that bucket does is tree work, and wood doesn't do a whole lot to a steel tooth.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I freely admit that I don't know the parent source of that tooth/retainer design, I'm only saying I'm familiar with Hensley XS and Komatsu Kmax. Both are a Hensley design, Hensley makes the Kmax tooth for Komatsu, they slightly changed the hole/pin profile so it's not interchangeable with XS teeth components, but still the same concept. Viewing the video you posted, I'm thinking Case worked out a similar (proprietary) deal with Hensley to make a tooth/retainer system for them the way Kommie did with Hensley for Kmax. The lock pin looks exactly like XS and Kmax.

Shimmy1

Viewing the video you posted, I'm thinking Case worked out a similar (proprietary) deal with Hensley to make a tooth/retainer system for them the way Kommie did with Hensley for Kmax.
That might make sense. The Case buckets we had for our old equipment from the 80s and early 90s, and the factory buckets for our 9030B made by Central Fab had Hensley teeth.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Our case cx60c has the 'smartfit' teeth on it's 2 foot bucket to which I welded a smooth edge to the two outer teeth, changing them is easy :) have switched the edge on/off over a dozen times in the last few months... never a problem just pick the clay out so you can get a socket on the head and you're all set. The guys at case told us the pins are only supposed to last 6 times of on/off so bought extras but am still using the originals so far.