• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 303cr starter R& R

Mobilewrench

On those small-engined machines I’ve often wondered if a clockwork type of starter wouldn’t be the best bet. There used to be plenty of them around on smaller machines back in the day.
I have never encountered one and was just about to ask what it was. But, I did a search.

Interesting, with the compression of diesel engines, is there (er, was there) a limit on the number of cylinders they could be used on?

One of my clients has a fairly old Bomag plate compactor, (I think a 50/52 bpr). It has a crank in a cradle. I wonder if that is one. It might not be, the newer ones (relatively) (I can't remember right now, either 55/60 or 60/65) have a spot for a pull start. Either way, I have never tried to start one with anything but the key.

heymccall

Clockwork and pull cord starters typically work in conjuction with a synchronized compression release. So many revolutions sans compression to allow momentum (revolution speed) to rise before compression is initiated.

MarkF6

I did this job yesterday on a machine of ours and it was a lot easier than the guides made it out to be. We faffed around a bit as it was our first time but if i had to do it again i would just undo the panel under the seat and undo the wiring and the the top bolt, take off the panel covering the alternator and remove the alternator, then use some long extension bars and go down where the alternator was and pass them under the engine mount and have someone guide the socket on to the lower bolt, you can crack it off that way. If the bolt is tight you may need to support the bottom of the ratchet, we used a hoe handle and slid it in from the engine cover. You may also need some extra leverage on the ratchet, we used a hollow rake handle but any kind of pipe or long handled ratchet should do.

No need to remove the radiator or the muffler.