• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 303cr starter R& R

Vetech63

How do you remove starter on cat 303cr
We must get you prepared for the task first.

1. Lay your arm out on your kitchen counter and let your wife pound it with her meat tenderizer for 5 minutes.
2. Then raise your right arm as far as you can and have her pull back on it with half her weight while she forces your face into your arm pit with her other arm.
3. Lay on the floor with your legs wide open and let her kick you in the sack 4 times with her high heels on.
4. Go to your front door, open it, insert your head in the doorway, and slam the door vigorously until you are almost unconscious.
5. Hang upside down from the nearest rafter while your wife whacks you with a broomstick.........make sure you are blind folded.

At this point, you are ready to tackle that starter! You can thank me afterwards.

Mobilewrench

I think you guys scared him away.

I remember it being an absolute nightmare of a job. Especially the ones with blades. I like how the manual says, "the preferred method" is working from under the machine. Because of course the machine is going to be parked in the one position where that's possible.

The ones I did had to be done through the access hole under the seat. I remember the holes behind the access panels being disappointingly small. You can get to the starter wiring okay. But the starter bolts....
Why do I have to deal with a nut and bolt while working through a hole that I can hardly get one hand through? Lot of money in the swear jar at that point. Now you have to deal with the other bolt that you can't even see.
I think I ended up tying a string to a stubby 14mm gear wrench and lowering down the back of the engine where the starter was.
Nightmare machines to maintain when they make them without cabs that tilt.

todd raymond

There appear to be various methods quoted.
Can you provide a machine Serial Number.? That might narrow it down a bit.

Hey, just realized!
You can see the starter in that picture.
Sweet lol
I think you guys scared him away.

I remember it being an absolute nightmare of a job. Especially the ones with blades. I like how the manual says, "the preferred method" is working from under the machine. Because of course the machine is going to be parked in the one position where that's possible.

The ones I did had to be done through the access hole under the seat. I remember the holes behind the access panels being disappointingly small. You can get to the starter wiring okay. But the starter bolts....
Why do I have to deal with a nut and bolt while working through a hole that I can hardly get one hand through? Lot of money in the swear jar at that point. Now you have to deal with the other bolt that you can't even see.
I think I ended up tying a string to a stubby 14mm gear wrench and lowering down the back of the engine where the starter was.
Nightmare machines to maintain when they make them without cabs that tilt.
Well I was to the bottom bolt before I I wrote that thread I'd about take a big bar and break off the starter flange there's no core but my luck I'd break the Block lol and the one video says the bottom bolt is always left out because they are such a bitch that was every one but mine lol I'm going to do everything I can not to take the counter weight, the guard, the radiator , my God are you kidding me!!!and in today's time s why in the hell do they have a bolt with a fkng nut o it.in in the worst possible spot . How many people know the trick for the bitch bolt on a Cummins air compressor ? I took and shortened the bolt and it saves about an hour at least .

Mobilewrench

I sure hope I never have to pull mine apart that bad. I've been close to it buy mines clean so it isn't so bad. Looks a good wash would do this one some good
I have been taking care of that unit since it was new. So I have probably replaced at least half of those hoses (and the starter about three times) never had to take anything but panels before.
I remember a few years ago I was out of the country and a hose went and the owner had to have someone else do it (when I take vacations they are generally 4 to 6 weeks, so I understand) they pulled the rops and floor. And screwed up just about everything electrical on the machine.

Nope... That pretty much deserves its own thread. Keep an eye out for it. I think it will be called, "Morons with wrenches".

As far as it could use a wash? I have mixed feelings about that. I am certainly not going to clean a clients machine. Might make me sound like a diva, but even my "core" clients have other mobile techs for pm service. "pressure wash? I won't even change your freaking oil!"

On the other hand (pauses and takes a sip of bourbon). Dirty machines....

Actually, I think that might also be its own thread.

So.... I have added exactly nothing to this thread. But, I have produced a pretty good teaser trailer for my next couple of diatribes.

I think maybe there should be a new category in the main menu with the title, "get off my lawn!".