• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Vs Yanmar

drdolan1

I am looking at buying a new mini excavator and have narrowed it down to either a Cat 303.5 or a Yanmar SV40. I have heard good things about both, but complaints as well and so I have no idea who I should listen to. It seems that the Yanmar has more power and even the option of a 6 way blade, but I've seen complaints of a cab that's not very comfortable and parts that are hard to get. The Cat seems to have a better cab, the "stick steer" feature (which may not be all that meaningful to most, but I'm a paraplegic so it would be nice for me though not absolutely necessary), and parts that are readily available. I'm not going to be using this for hard core 40 hour a week excavating... it's going to get mostly light work on my home property, digging irrigation trenches for my wife's decorative tree farm and maybe digging up stumps from land we're clearing once in a while. I want something that is going to be really versatile, but most importantly REALLY reliable. It's not going to be easy for me to bring it to the dealership no matter which one I get, so I'd be having to pay someone to move it any time I had to "take it in". Anyone have any help for me? Thanks!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
What dealers are nearest to you? If you have to drive 2 hours to one dealer and 15 minutes to the other that is an important factor. Generally speaking Cat will probably be better for parts availability and service, but with the amount that you are planning to use the machine that should not be too much of a factor on a new machine.
From the way you worded your post, it appears that you have not really actually operated the two machines in question, but rather doing your homework researching. Go run each machine! Especially with your unique situation of being paraplegic, actually getting into the cabs yourself will tell you a lot. Going to a dealer and test driving machines as a paraplegic would probably be a bother to all involved, but you would learn a good deal. It may also tell you what you need to know about the dealer's staff as well.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'll add my $.02 to what Acoals has already mentioned. Dealer support is just as important as the machine itself even with a hobby machine. Cat is going to have a better parts supply chain than Yanmar.

Our Cat CTL's (279D's) and 305E have been very reliable FWIW. We rented a 306 last year and the stick steer is quite nice, something we are looking forward to when we trade up our 325FL. Whichever machine you go with I would suggest a hydraulic thumb as they are as handy as a shirt pocket on a mini.

Just curious what the price difference is?

Mbar

My experience, I have a customer with a 2006ish vio55. It is about to be put out of service due to a worn hydraulic pump to yanmar discontinued and no other parts available. Certain hydraulic lines have to be ordered straight from Japan or hose shops order special ends. Another customer has a cat of the same era. A phone call at 430 in the afternoon results in parts at the drop box 2 miles from my shop. Take that for what is worth. The saying is you get what you pay for. And by the way that customer now has a 308 cat.

drdolan1

Thank you everyone for the replies. I live in central PA and CAT dealers are definitely everywhere. Cleveland brothers have several.. I think 6 within an hour of me. Otherwise there are a smattering of other dealers, but most don't have a ton of inventory.

That said, I talked to the nearest Yanmar dealer and he said that if I wanted the SV40 that I'd be looking at a minimum of 3 months and probably longer as he's had one on order for over a year and it still doesn't have a delivery date.

Am I correct in my readings from the forums and other posts out there that the whole "which brand is best" is kind of like asking if Chevy or Ford is better?

I'm leaning heavily towards the Cat at this point as it seems that no matter where you go (we're looking at the possibility of buying a piece of property in upstate NY) there's someone sells CAT parts or equipment etc. Seems like no matter where we end up I'd likely always be able to find someone who could work on it if not a dealer nearby. That seem reasonable?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Your logic is correct, you will find a Cat dealer just about anywhere. You won't go wrong with the Cat as far as parts and service goes, comfort and personal preference I can't speak for. I would buy the Cat personally, but I know that there are other guys who like other brands, so I don't want to come off as a Cat salesman . . .

FWD

Sometimes when problems happen on Cat machines, some Cat dealers are not too interested in helping an owner of a single Cat machine vs Contractors with many Cat machines.
FWD

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sometimes when problems happen on Cat machines, some Cat dealers are not too interested in helping an owner of a single Cat machine vs Contractors with many Cat machines.
FWD

Probably so. However my dealer has went to bat for us more times than I can remember when we've had issues with Cat corp and we are a small to very small contractor compared to some of their customers.
Am I correct in my readings from the forums and other posts out there that the whole "which brand is best" is kind of like asking if Chevy or Ford is better?

Pretty much depending on the piece of iron. I'm a Cat guy but once owned a TH460B that was the biggest POS piece of equipment I've owned and that includes Bobcat. Dealer gave a generous trade in value due to all the issues we had with it but that's another story.

Product and parts support is the real difference in any brand and the the dealer is a very key component of that matrix.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Dealer support is everything when it comes to machinery. If you can afford to wait up to two weeks for parts then it's not as important but most parts on modern Cat machines are available overnight if they aren't in stock, and that's at no additional cost. I own a single machine, a 248 skid steer I bought new in 2000 and I've always felt like VIP when I walk in the dealership from all departments, sales, parts and service. My salesman still greets me and remembers my name.

I have a 304E at work. It's an excellent digging machine but if you are running a hydraulic attachment it starves the rest of the machine for pressure. That's my only complaint. The cab is fairly tight and the door narrow, not sure how that would work out for you for accessibility. I think I've got 1000 hours on it now and the only problems I've had were self inflicted, I've snagged hoses doing things I probably shouldn't have.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
IME, Cat parts support is #1.
Worked at a production machine shop in the 80's. We made many parts for Cat, 3 shifts.
Wasn't common, but the phone would ring usually on 2nd or 3rd shift. "You have a courrier incoming with part # xwxxxx castings. We need them yesterday!
Call when your truck is headed to the airport.
Would not have wanted to see what Cat would pay for those 5 parts.