• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat vs. Miller lawsuit

ih100

Scrub, I still pack AF up 1 1/4", along with all the small metric, anything bigger and I've found there's so much variation in tolerances between makes of spanner that I just have flank drive metric above that and so far I haven't rounded too many nuts. Still have a couple of BSP spanners for some specific fittings we use, and my brother gave me all of his Whitworth stuff last year just in case I buy myself a traction engine.

There's a fine metric thread which is damned close to UNF, and that's caused some issues on equipment I've worked on. A speed sensor on one engine I worked on was M10x0.5, at first sight it looked more like turning marks than a thread. All this standardisation and we've got more threads than we ever had.

ih100

Holy **** what is your deal?

Mitsubishi was involved in that venture for 40 years. Should we just write all of those machines off? If Cat buys out a joint venture with Mitsubishi, do those machines cease being Mitsubishi? Nothing has changed except the paperwork.

Like I tried to say before, if a Cat machine is made in Japan by a company that is 50% owned by Mitsubishi, is it a Cat or a Mitsubishi? If you buy a Deere hoe with a 100% Hitachi undercarriage bolted to a US made machine, is it a Deere or a Hitachi?

By your logic, there is no such thing as Perkins anymore, so you can stop pissing and moaning about it. It's all Caterpillar now.

I understand that you are 100% determined to be "right", but you're acting like a petty child.

Simple facts which you can't grasp. Shin Caterpillar doesn't exist anymore, replaced in 2012 by Caterpillar Japan Ltd which is not 50% Mitsubishi owned. Things have moved on and the current crop of excavators is, as I said, developed at Cat's Akashi and Ono facilities. I am fully aware that there was a joint venture, that some excavators marketed in the past as Cat were actually more Mitsubishi than Cat, that Cat got into bed with Mitsubishi in the early days so they could get a Cat excavator into the market place, that the early D3's and 931's were more Mitsi than Cat. These are facts which I have never disputed, or if I have show me where. But the fact is most of these arrangements are no longer in place. I don't care anymore whether this fits your worldview or not.

As for wanting to be right, posting a video of an excavator and asserting it's 50% Mitsubishi? Which bit of the video proved that point? I could post a video of an identical machine from the factory in Gosselies, Belgium, and you wouldn't know the difference if you couldn't see the ID plate.

Where did I say Perkins doesn't exist anymore? The factory is five miles from my house and engines go out of the gate with Perkins ID plates or Cat ID plates on the block. The gate has two signs, Perkins and Cat. One factory, 100% owned by Cat since 1998. So don't lose your temper. I haven't, and never will with someone I'll probably never meet face to face. And please don't start accusing me of saying things that I haven't said. It's probably time for me to bow out now, as much fun as it's been this is becoming circular and unproductive.

Wes J

So when Cat takes down the Perkins sign, there will be no more Perkins? You can't have it both ways. When an engine leaves the factory with a Cat tag, is it a Cat or a Perkins?

The Cat equipment made in Belgium, France, Brazil, China, etc is usually designed in America and often being made in multiple plants around the world. The Shin Caterpillar Mitsubishi stuff is or was designed in Japan and built in Japan. To me that is different.

It really makes no difference.

Welder Dave

The Avro Arrow was cancelled in large part by heavy American influence and pushing the Bomarc Missile/paper weight on Canada and then offering a deal on used F101's that were inferior. I don't think the Perkins in my 135 is metric and it's a UK model built for export to Canada because American production couldn't keep up with demand. After the Mitsibishi designed Cat excavators I think Cat went to Sumitomo as did Linkbelt and Case. Every major excavator brand is based on a Japanese design. You need to take the blinders off.

SchuLace

If it leaves the factory yellow with a Cat tag, it is a Cat engine. If it has a Perkins tag, it is a Perkins.

If if leaves with a bowtie is it a Chevy or a GMC?

JDOFMEMI

:drinkup
This thread is entertaining, even if there was hardly a post about the original topic of the Miller Coupler lawsuit

td25c

Right on! I loved that show.:thumbsup

It used to come on public television here in the eighties, watched it all the time as a kid.:D

Same story CM ! Like you said it was on public broadcast station .

Looks like it's still going . http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-who/

We get a BBC station on the over air digital signal , I'll have to investigate this further :cool2

I need to get out of this thread but the door seems to be jammed on the "TARDIS" . One more thing to fix . :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Queenslander

I'll never get over being freaked out by those darn cybermen in the mid sixties.
As a little tacker, I didn't get a decent nights sleep for months.

td25c

Me as well Queenslander . Those cyberguy's are pretty spooky .

Back on topic ..... http://www.equipmentworld.com/cater...ng-trade-secrets-for-excavator-quick-coupler/

Hate to see an idea stolen for money but that's how works for the most part .

I don't have to participate in it . No effect at all , still hop out of the cab to change buckets & fold out manual thumb on excavator . Could care less about the lawsuit .

ih100

Most of us has forgotten what this thread was originally about. I've been into several OEM factories over the years and they all have the opposition's products being measured, photographed and stripped down in plain sight. It seems once a product is out there, it's fair game to be copied. Fair play to Miller for not laying down and being shafted.

it's the daleks that used to have me hiding behind the sofa.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
it's the daleks that used to have me hiding behind the sofa.

Me too. "Exterminate!" - That shrill techno voice gave me nightmares. The daleks were ruthless killers.:D

This explains it for the non-watchers.

Dr Who.jpg

This thread derailed a while back...:cool2

ih100

OEM's take note, the Daleks haven't fundamentally changed since 1963. Why does your equipment have to?

They probably still have a few UNF bolts in there somewhere...:rolleyes: