• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Truck Engines

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
I saw one of the Paccar engines on display at an expo last year. The first thing I noticed is that a large truck size oil filter is mounted on the side of the block vertically...but upside down!!! if you ask me that is a bad start in engineering, hopefully it gets better from there.

inthedirt

Hate to be mean, but Cat did it to themselves from what I hear. Everybody else embraced cooled EGR, but Cat refused and spent boo-coos money developing ACERT (and the marketing to go with), and now its come back to bite them with 2010 emissions that ACERT can't meet. Just what I heard......

Per Eriksson

EGR is coming back on caterpillar engines, It looks _very_ complicated and requires alot of space since it is combined with a cathalytic unit as well, not looking forward to it.

prenn1984@gmail

we have about 35 ACERTS and their great. had a few problems with valve actuators but thats it. and of course cat takes care of them, even if their out of warranty! won't get that to happen with cummins! gonna have to get myself a new Pete before i can't get a cat in it anymore.

prenn1984@gmail

yes you can up in till they run out of 2009 engines, which will probably be sometime in the first few months of 2010. they can still put a 2009 engine in a truck in 2010 as long as the engine was manufactured in 2009.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet or not, but Caterpillar will be supplying engine blocks to International for a new heavy truck engine they are developing. From what I've read it's only the blocks, International will be building the rest.

prenn1984@gmail

i'm sure its already been mentioned somewhere but there is also going to be a Cat branded truck which is a joint venture between cat and international.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
New Cat/International Engine with an International wrapped around it, boy what a great truck that will be.:rolleyes:

The happiest day of my trucking career was when my 2005 International with C13 Cat left the gates headed to Atlanta with another owner in the seat and a wire transfer in my bank account.:cool2

It does seem like Cat (truck engine wise) and International both peaked around 2000 or so and has slid down since then.

Last edited:

turbo64

That turbo is no bigger than a standard one. You wanna see big turbo go find a picture of a 1693 caterpillar. Now that's big.