• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat parts source

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Quote I received of CAT here on C15 rebuild parts estimate(ONLY a Estimate) was within a few hundred to after market at each juncture. Cyl Packs, pistons on rods with bearings sleeves, rings and seals were comparable to overhaul kits from IPD but would still have to buy Mains and lower gasket kit from CAT. New in lieu of Reman exch cyl head 4080 compared to 34-3800 for a aftermarket no name, and stated could get the exch price if brought the old head in a basket in pieces. Bolts and associated hardware all competitive for aftermarket pricing. Once truck is here and block condition determined positive will be going CAT parts.

colson04

Quote I received of CAT here on C15 rebuild parts estimate(ONLY a Estimate) was within a few hundred to after market at each juncture. Cyl Packs, pistons on rods with bearings sleeves, rings and seals were comparable to overhaul kits from IPD but would still have to buy Mains and lower gasket kit from CAT. New in lieu of Reman exch cyl head 4080 compared to 34-3800 for a aftermarket no name, and stated could get the exch price if brought the old head in a basket in pieces. Bolts and associated hardware all competitive for aftermarket pricing. Once truck is here and block condition determined positive will be going CAT parts.

Have you watched any of KT3406E channel on YouTube? For a younger guy, he has a wealth of knowledge on Cat truck engines. Just sharing for another view point. His last rebuild he used IPD parts, but bought a brand new bare head from Cat and discussed economics of it vs. a reman head.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Spoken with him a few times, is where I got my IPD quote from and have watched his vids on YT. Cylinder OH Kits(Derate Compression), Pistons sleeves bearings(M&R) no Conn Rods and gaskets were a few hundred less than the Cat Cylinder Pack sets. He does not offer heads, so I priced from other sources where I believe they are all the same producer different prices. The Cat New in Lieu(Fully Loaded Valves Etc) is only offered if buy the OH packs and parts thru them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One aspect I had Not considered is he Decks and sleeves the counter bores/water jacket contact points on every engine he does. Expense is not an option for him to put his name to them.

lantraxco

One aspect I had Not considered is he Decks and sleeves the counter bores/water jacket contact points on every engine he does. Expense is not an option for him to put his name to them.
I watched one of his vids, I like that belt and suspenders approach to the block machining.... Proper job.