• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT IT24F need help with a few items

dzlnut

I have a 1995 CAT IT24F and there a few things going on.

When you turn on the a/c and heater air blows out but it will not blow any heat out..... How can I fix that?

Sometimes when I turn the key to crank the engine it makes a sound like it does when you turn the key on a car and the engine is already running.... What would be causing that?

The 12 volt cigarette plug does not have any power, I checked the fuse and it was good

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When you turn on the a/c and heater air blows out but it will not blow any heat out..... How can I fix that?
Look for isolation valves on the heater lines at the engine block. Are they closed.?
Sometimes when I turn the key to crank the engine it makes a sound like it does when you turn the key on a car and the engine is already running.... What would be causing that?
Sounds like a solenoid not pulling in correctly or possibly dodgy connections on the starter or ground wiring.
The 12 volt cigarette plug does not have any power, I checked the fuse and it was good
You need an electrical schematic to trace the power. I'll send you a copy.

dzlnut

Thank you @Nige you are a wealth of information Im looking forward to learning

Im still learning this machine, what area would I look for the isolation valves?

In regards to starting the engine it just got worse, this morning I went to start it when I turn the key to the first position there is a click
when I turn the key to the cranking position the engine didn't crank at all but then randomly when I tried to crank the engine again it did crank but i let go of the key to early and it didnt fire up

also a weird thing that happened the other week i started the tractor and when I went to turn it off the engine stayed running

Nige

also a weird thing that happened the other week i started the tractor and when I went to turn it off the engine stayed running
That potentially points to a dodgy shutoff solenoid, or maybe poor electrical connections to said solenoid.
Im still learning this machine, what area would I look for the isolation valves?
Follow the heater hoses from the cab back to the radaitor end of the engine. See illustration - 2 valves Ref #1. Be prepared for the possibility of a leaking heater core if you find the valves closed because they were probably closed for a reason.......

upload_2022-12-4_18-37-58.png

dzlnut

The P/N 5P-8500 "Cat Key" has had a load of different shapes through the years but at the business end it is and always was universal, so should be no need to re-key.

Did you find the heater valves.?

thank you for the diagram I was able to find the valve and turned them on

dzlnut

the mechanic came out and diagnosed everything.

The culprit seems to be the breaker box on the right side of the machine. There is a lot of corrosion throughout all the wiring/ connections
also there were at least 2 wires that have corroded so badly they were disconnected and could not be re-connected to their terminals
You can see all the corrosion gunk that was cleaned out of the box sitting next to it

The part number is 8Y7609 CIRCUIT BREAKER GP and everything inside of it needs to be replaced

Does anyone have a replacement box with all of the relays / switches in it?

20221209_112348.jpg
20221209_105742.jpg

dzlnut

Merry Christmas and happy holidays

So here's an update

The 8Y7609 CIRCUIT BREAKER GP has been completely rebuilt. I reinstalled it and the engine doesn't crank at all

Theres no "click" of the starter when I turn the ignition key.

The starter was tested when the mechanic came out the other week and it was fine

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Nige

You have the electrical schematic. Time to start tracing power in a logical fashion starting from the batteries and working forwards.
With a complete rebuild of the Breaker Gp as you describe above you have no guarantee whatsoever that it has been reassembled correctly IMHO.