• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat engine info?

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
So out of curiosity what engines were in what machines and year range. I know they used Perkins for a while and then Mitsubishi. I was trying to figure out the year ranges. I have an 08 226b2 I got a smokin deal on and want to know if it has a Perkins which I think it does but not for sure. Thanks!

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Thanks Nige. You know if they all had reliability issues or if it's the earlier ones?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are members on here with much more experience than I have regarding the whole Cat SSL/MTL line. I'm sure one of them will chime in.
I seem to recall an issue with engine oil pumps but whether that had been addressed by the time your machine was made I'mnot sure. All I can say is that we have 4 x 246C/256C machines all bought new from 2008-onwards and we've had no engine issues with any of them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Last I heard the B2 machines had either a Mitsubishi or a Kubota engine. Perkins was a very reliable engine in almost any application I've seen them in except the small Cat SSL line. The 216 skids is where I've heard many a horror story. I know there are many in this forum who have direct experience and if you run a search here on Perkins you will see a sizable thread with lots of good info.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The 226b2 has a 3024c engine which I think is the perkapillar 2.2 L.
The larger skids get a 3.3L Mitsubishi.
From what I've read cat owns 60% of Mitsubishi and 100% of perkins

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
We'll knock on wood I don't have big issues with it. I know it's a bit tired 3600 hrs on her but she runs strong still.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The 226b2 has a 3024c engine which I think is the perkapillar 2.2 L.
The larger skids get a 3.3L Mitsubishi.
From what I've read cat owns 60% of Mitsubishi and 100% of perkins

Didn't Cat buy Perkins in the late 90s when the started the Olympic generator series with Perkins power units. I read something a month or two ago that Cat recently sold or was selling off Perkins again. Anybody else hear that. I don't know if it truth or rumor.

Joeyslushr

I ran a 226b for a few thousand hours. Cracked the block at around 1000hrs. Never did hear y but cat put a new engine in it. Never had problems with it after that, that I can remember

ih100

Didn't Cat buy Perkins in the late 90s when the started the Olympic generator series with Perkins power units. I read something a month or two ago that Cat recently sold or was selling off Perkins again. Anybody else hear that. I don't know if it truth or rumor.

Rumour.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Caterpillar
A supplier to Caterpillar Inc. since the 1970s, Perkins was bought by Caterpillar in 1998 for US$1.325 billion, creating what they claimed was the world's largest diesel engine manufacturer. With an ever-expanding global footprint Perkins now has manufacturing facilities in the United Kingdom, United States, Brazil, China, India and a joint venture with Ishikawajima-Shibaura-Machinery company in Japan. On January 1, 2009 (replacing Hans Haefeli), Gwenne Henricks became President of Perkins Engines[5] after having worked in Caterpillar’s Electronics and Connected Worksite Division in North America. Gwenne is also a vice-president of Caterpillar.[6]

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Always check the ENGINE Serial Number Plate. It will always tell you who BUILT the engine, whether it be Perkins, Mitsubishi, or Kubota. I believe it's an EPA requirement.