• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat e110b overheating problem

rcon60

cat e110b #9hf01123 I can run it for about an hour and a half and then it starts to overheat. Shut it down let it cool run it again same results overheats in an hour and a half. Need help!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Check the cooling system, fan(s), flow(Air and Fluids), obstructions as dirt buildup on cores as this sounds as such. When was last time all was cleaned off?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well thought I'd check to see what Cat suggests and the list is to say the least a bit brief!
over heat.JPG

After that it just says contact Mitsubishi.

DMiller's suggestions are the place to start!

rcon60

Every thing is clean, belts tight, pump seems to be working don't know about thermostat. But why would it run ok for an hour and a half if it was one of those causes?

Delmer

If you didn't remove the radiator to clean it, or at least look through it thoroughly with a light on the other side, then you have no idea how clean it is, or isn't.

IF it's clean, then take some temps with a non contact thermometer while it's overheating, and post them here if you can't figure out what's going on. The water pump intake from the radiator, thermostat outlet to the radiator, a few places on the head away from the exhaust manifold.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Same as my Allis did with the radiator half choked with oily mud. Thermostat is a easy swap to try as a just failed.
View attachment 222381
Yea I've seen radiators that look like that on the side towards the engine after being told by someone that radiator was clean, just washed it with garden hose!

rcon60 not trying to give you a hard time but many of us that have been around for 3 or 4 decades have seen things like that and as we are not there to look first hand feel the need to push the point at sometimes.

Like the recirculating of heat from weather stripping or leaky muffler or exhaust gaskets. Also don't always trust a single gauge saying how hot something is, always like a second opinion have known of gauges that lie!

rcon60

Yea I've seen radiators that look like that on the side towards the engine after being told by someone that radiator was clean, just washed it with garden hose!

rcon60 not trying to give you a hard time but many of us that have been around for 3 or 4 decades have seen things like that and as we are not there to look first hand feel the need to push the point at sometimes.

Like the recirculating of heat from weather stripping or leaky muffler or exhaust gaskets. Also don't always trust a single gauge saying how hot something is, always like a second opinion have known of gauges that lie!
It is clean I can see thru it plus I litely pressure washed it

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is a hydraulic cooler in front of the radiator on those machines. You can't see through both even when they are clean. Dirt and debris packs up between them and all you end up doing is pushing the crap around. Some excavators have a plate on the bottom of the house directly under the radiator packs where dirt can fall out as you are blowing through the coolers with air or a pressure washer. On the machines that don't have the plate, I've had to put a shop vac in there running while blowing through the fins. Also remember, you have to blow through both directions. Go one way till you think it's clean, then go to the other side and blow the other way. When you think its clean, start the engine and run it up to full speed. Shut it down after a few minutes and then start blowing again.