• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D8H Serial Number Locations

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Does anyone have a good line on where to look for the serial numbers for the machine, engine, trans etc.? Trying to get parts manuals etc. for this recent purchase.

Thanks,
631G

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The first place is the left side of the engine block behind the pony motor and below the exhaust manifold. Engine numbers started out being the same as the machine serial number. Be aware the number will be different if the block has been replaced. The other place is stamped on the back of the main frame of the machine on the left side about in the middle. The rear stamping is usually hidden by a ripper or winch. I've seen a few where the rear number had grinding marks for numbers. Sometimes there is a tag at the top of the main frame back there as well.

Bluox

For the tractor # look on the left side of engine block,the back of the bevel gear case and the lower right dash plate.
These parts have there own parts books ,blade # back of blade right side ,hydraulic system # top of tank on right fender or if a front unit on tank.
Rippers # on ripper frame, winch or CCU # on unit.
So you will need two or three books besides the tractor book.
Good luck
Bob

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Great info. Thank you for the help.

631G

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
For the tractor # look on the left side of engine block,the back of the bevel gear case and the lower right dash plate.
These parts have there own parts books ,blade # back of blade right side ,hydraulic system # top of tank on right fender or if a front unit on tank.
Rippers # on ripper frame, winch or CCU # on unit.
So you will need two or three books besides the tractor book.
Good luck
Bob

I was curious if this would be the case. I’ve been looking at manuals and thought there might be multiple that I’d need to buy or look into given the age of the machine.