• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D7E Electric Drive Dozer

Tracklayer

One of the illustrations that I have seen of the D7E shows the front idlers as sprockets that appear to be identical to the drive sprockets in the rear. Why is that? Those front sprockets are not driven are they? I assume that they are acting only as idlers. But what would be the reasoning for using sprockets as idlers?

The only place that I have seen that practice is on those little Chinese dozers that are being imported. With them, I had assumed that they merely decided to save the cost of tooling up for front idlers when they could just use another of the existing sprockets used to drive in the rear. But I can’t see Cat doing it for that reason. Has any other crawler manufacturer ever used a second item of the sprocket for the idler?

JDOFMEMI

Tracklayer

I do not know where you saw that, but I can assure you the front idlers are normal, unless you get the system one option, then they are just skinny, but in no way look like a sprocket.

Tracklayer

Jerry,

I saw it over on ACME a few months ago in a thread that Swishy had started. I guess the sprocket in front must have been some of his artistic license.

goddard56

on the model that they had for demo it looks like a normal idler with very small teeth mad it...... a question was asked about it and its there form track alignment of some sort

counter

Occupation
manager
diesel over electric on the d7e

on the model that they had for demo it looks like a normal idler with very small teeth mad it...... a question was asked about it and its there form track alignment of some sort

dont know about the idler being an issue here! still would love to hear some guys who have ran the d7e!!!!!!!!! we all need to knowwwww

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
does any of you guys know if they are starting the sale of the D7E????
on cats website it is allready lined up together with all the other dozers it seems to me that it is possible to purchase it now

goddard56

the first production run doesnt start until october of this year and it will replace the D7R II in 2010

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
dont know about the idler being an issue here! still would love to hear some guys who have ran the d7e!!!!!!!!! we all need to knowwwww

I got to run one a week ago today. It seems to me that it will be a good machine. It was comfortable and very quit and it was also operator friendly.
It had loads of power also. It was suprisingly smooth, I am used to the high track but I still like the conventional style. the visisbility was also better than what I thought it would be. The hydralics were a little too fast though.

goddard56

i agree with d6peg on all that he said that is exactly how i felt when i had the opportunity to run one for about 25mins at a CAT demonstration, i wish i had the opportunity to run it a little more you know double the hourmeter or something but i think they said the hydraulics were adjustable to meet the operators skills and ability

counter

Occupation
manager
I got to run one a week ago today. It seems to me that it will be a good machine. It was comfortable and very quit and it was also operator friendly.
It had loads of power also. It was suprisingly smooth, I am used to the high track but I still like the conventional style. the visisbility was also better than what I thought it would be. The hydralics were a little too fast though.

hey thanks for the input!!!! we all love it! you be one of the lucky guys to tell us!! perhaps the dealer can come out and adjust the hydraulics! ive heard ,that when new , the the hydraulics are set at max levels.

JDOFMEMI

No need to have the dealer adjust it. The settings are all electronic, and can be set on the control panel by the operator. You can even save profiles for different operators. Say one guy likes the fast blade, and another likes it slow, you can program it so you select who is operating and his settings for that and other items come on, then when you run it later, your own settings come on.

The fast settings work good with the GPS, and with a fast finish hand.

counter

Occupation
manager
No need to have the dealer adjust it. The settings are all electronic, and can be set on the control panel by the operator. You can even save profiles for different operators. Say one guy likes the fast blade, and another likes it slow, you can program it so you select who is operating and his settings for that and other items come on, then when you run it later, your own settings come on.

The fast settings work good with the GPS, and with a fast finish hand.

that still is wayyyyy cooolll! its like the automtive design of man and wife drivers of suv"s two or more settiings of seat and peddle positions!