• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6M

Deey

I’ve got a D6M LGP serial # 2RN00495 it’s loosing fluid out of the left final drive. There are no visible external leaks so I’m assuming it could be leaking internally back into the transmission. It doesn’t loose fluid very quickly but I would still like to know how extensive of a repair this may be.
I am also loosing fluid from the torque converter, there is what I’m guessing is an inspection plate on the bottom of the converter housing that the fluid is leaking from. Two questions about this, is the inspection plate supposed to be sealed and if so is the housing between the engine and torque converter supposed to have fluid in it?

JakeRanisate

There is an axle seal in the end of the spindle which seals the oil into the final drive. I'm assuming that lip seal has failed. In order to replace it you need to remove the planetary gear set and the carrier. The outer bearing on the spindle is pressed on to the spindle, so I would think you should be able to do that right on the machine.
The convertor housing does in fact have oil in it, and it is picked up by the scavenge section of the transmission pump. As far as the inspection cover goes, I would need a picture in order to see what you're looking at. I would assume there would be an o ring or a gasket underneath it.

JakeRanisate

Sorry. It's still early lol. I misread your question. You were asking about the flywheel housing. I'll have to look for that inspection cover. But the flywheel housing does have oil in it when the engine is running.

Deey

Sorry. It's still early lol. I misread your question. You were asking about the flywheel housing. I'll have to look for that inspection cover. But the flywheel housing does have oil in it when the engine is running.
Thank you for the reply. I have a parts book but I cannot find the inspection plate to see if there’s a gasket listed. I’m an auto and truck mechanic and have never seen a flywheel housing with oil in it so I thought that maybe a seal in the front of the converter was leaking into that area.

Deey

I will tr
Do you have a photo of it.? I can't see an inspection plate on the converter housing. The only thing remotely close is a screwed plug with an O-Ring on the bottom of the flywheel housing.
I will try to get a photo in a few days when I can, thanks for your reply.