• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6C Won't Move

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
I have a D6C 10K series that will not move and has a noise coming from behind the engine. It cranks up and runs great, but the noise is around the torque converter area. How hard is it to pull the converter out on this? What can I do to make sure it is the converter it self, before pulling? I'd like to get this fixed and not just let it sit and rust away.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you lift the floor plate (a time consuming and fiddly job) then between the torque converter and the transmission you will see a short drive shaft. If you have the engine running and the the transmission in neutral that shaft should be turning. If you engage any gear the shaft should stop.

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
I'm in the process of removing the floor plate to check the driveshaft. The noise has me really concerned. Have you ever had a converter making a noise?

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
Hope that's the problem. Buying major components isn't cheap.

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
Well, driveshaft is in place and not turning. Is there anyway to inspect the converter and flywheel?

Bob/Ont

Take them out and inspect. Drive shaft and convertor flange first, then convertor.
Later Bob

Z2898

Pull the transmission filter first, cut it apart and have a look first. If you have a major failure you should notice debris. Also if it has a thimble screen in the drain line at bottom of torque, also a good place to look for debris. In the past, on inspection of drain line screens, I have found all kinds of different things that truly indicate catastrophic failure. It just confirms the worst. I always like to know that I need to take the component apart regardless of the damage. Draining the torque will also give you ideas as to failure, washers-bolts-gear teeth etc.