• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6 9U Oil Bath Air Cleaner

kbeen

Hello all. does anyone have a service manual on the old Cat D6 serial # 9U machine that would tell how much oil goes in the oil bath air cleaner assembly. if i fill it to what i think are the oil level marks then the air intake pipe is covered by the oil level. when that happens then the air being sucked in by the engine has to actually pass through the oil on it way to engine. i would not think that is the way they should work. Hoping someone out there has better knowledge on these oil bath breathers. thank you.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That is the way all the ones I have seen work. The air bubbles through the pan first then goes through the wire mesh/wool material on its way out the top. I believe the churning in the pan keeps the mesh wet and the dirt moving down into the pan. Without the oil to that level the mesh would quickly dry out.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That is the way all the ones I have seen work. The air bubbles through the pan first then goes through the wire mesh/wool material on its way out the top. I believe the churning in the pan keeps the mesh wet and the dirt moving down into the pan. Without the oil to that level the mesh would quickly dry out.

That sounds right to me, if the air did not suck some of the oil up into the wire mess there would be nothing in the mesh for the dirt to stick to and it would pass right into the engine.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
That sounds right to me, if the air did not suck some of the oil up into the wire mess there would be nothing in the mesh for the dirt to stick to and it would pass right into the engine.

Absolutely correct. It's better to have a little too much oil than not quite enough.
Mike

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

kbeen. As posted by Birken Vogt and kshansen that's exactly how they work. There should be a seam or a scribe mark to show the level.

If you have a cylone type precleaner it will take a lot of load off the main unit.

Cheers.

kbeen

Thanks to all the replys and for the good info. i do appreciate the help.