• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5K2 2018 grade control not working

7379df

Originally there was only one problem in that there was no value in the fields for percent slope and angle as shown in pic and also had a couple codes that were active. We isolated and found that problem and it was due to a wire completely severed around where the blade attaches to frame. Cat runs the wires from factory inside a hydraulic line, 1/2" to be exact...so we remade our own hoses.. we soldered all connections, then bench tested both the 8 prong male ends by sending voltage down each individual line we were testing. All 8 tested 100 percent. FYI, All soldered joints were wrapped with Tesa cloth electrical tape and also wrapped ends....reinstalled it and fired up machine. Machine came on.. fields were populated with a number and check active codes and none were present. We also cleaned the ends with water and glass cleaner per CAT recommendations. We drove machine and tested in field and all the slope and angles had a readout and worked flawlessly. Take note that this is NOT with the slope assist ACTIVE. I will explain that next.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

7379df

So after testing this and was very confident problem solved we moved on to try and setup and "turn on the automatic slope assist and noticed there was no option under home screen for "setting up" slope assist. So I called CAT and long story short he said it was not turned on and gave me password to turn that feature on. After the setup we got many more icons on the screen for options related to setting up and adjusting slope control ect.

After setting up he said you would need to go to "calibrate" so I tried to calibrate and it said the following: 1695057248374.png1695057376815.png1695057269215.png1695057325475.png

7379df

So we dropped belly pan and blew out that area real good.. have not taken anything apart yet but would assume every connector needs to be disconnected and taken apart .. cleaned thoroughly.. then apply something to help connections ? Not sure what is best to use if anything after cleaning those. Glass cleaner recommended by cat to clean but would like to put something back in to help with corrosion. So that is my next step fellas... I wanted to know any other areas where a guy might clean connections?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wanted to know any other areas where a guy might clean connections?
An electrical schematic would show the exact location of each and every harness connector but to identify the correct schematic requires the machine Serial Number.
would assume every connector needs to be disconnected and taken apart .. cleaned thoroughly.. then apply something to help connections ? Not sure what is best to use if anything after cleaning those.
Aerosol electrical contact cleaner would be my suggestion to clean the inside of the harness connectors.
After it has evaporated and before reconnecting a small amount of dielectric grease would be my thought. Just don't put too much otherwise you can "hydraulic" the connector and crack it when reconnecting.

7379df

Roger that Nige. The Serial is : CAT00D5KTKY203375
A couple questions...
*Where could i find a good electrical schematic ?
*Is the heart of the Slope Assist in that box by the frame rail ?

I assumed if that is the correct then this box or ecm for slope assist would then send signals via wires to relays in cab for the UP and Down and Tilt Cylinders. So most of the wiring would be in and around the frame rail and of course going out to blade.

7379df

FYI anyone having the same problem we did want to give an update. So we did find one other problem. There was a four prong connector that had one pin totally corroded. So we fixed that and assumed that had to be it. Had all the correct voltage readings on the wires that had voltage and also data wires checked out to be fine doing an ohm test. Was stumped until we reverted back to turning off the slope assist. So after doing this the slope main and cross slope started working. At this point we are 99% sure the module on the back of blade, not the C frame is bad. And of course its the most expensive. So for now we just need the slope of machine for the jobs were currently doing and not the Automatic slope assist. BTW ... My hats off to Nige ...that Electrical Schematic was one of the best schematics i have ever used !! Thanks Nige !

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Glad you got it sorted even if the final fix looks like it is going to be a bit pricy.
Corrosion or humidity in connectors can give you fits. If you can find a source for this or a similar product in the US, plus the amalgamating tape that gets wrapped over the connector afterwards, it should cure your problems once and for all. Even if you only used it on the Accugrade wiring.