• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D3 Project part 2

AllDodge

Old guy here so didn't remember I did remove the pan first, sorry. Just a note, the oil pump suction tube had fallen off the pump so had more room. Don't remember if I removed the timing cover before the pan. The pump tube follows the pan down to the pickup. You might get it off, and may need to jack up the front as spitzair mentioned

Dave Neubert

D3B project part 1 is here https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?35871-CAT-D3B-Project

Finally got around to taking the engine apart. What I found just doesn't add up. The engine had water in it and is rusted. Pulled the oil pan off and found both bolts holding the sump tube were in the bottom of the pan and the tube was separated from the oil pump. How or why the engine wound or with at least a gallon or so of water in the pan is beyond me. To guess I figured someone tried to rebuild the motor and only started the bolts holding the oil sump. This still doesn't explain how it ran long enough to find the bolts in the pan or how the water got in. I can find no cracks in the cylinder walls of head. Plan to take both to the machine shop for work.

Have a question here. Have the shop manuals but cannot figure how to get the injection pump off. Can you advise what I need to do?
Looks like you got water in through the exhaust

dieseldog5.9

So, can you get the oil pan out with the engine still in the machine?
Following up years later, I was able to pull the oil pan with the engine in the machine, however had to remove the radiator housing, and front cover, unbolt the engine mounts, and the oil pickup tube is a major pain to deal with.

AllDodge

Hope you can get the pickup tube back on and torqued to spec, maybe even with locktite

Bought my non-running D3 and during overhaul found the pickup tube laying in the oil pan.