• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 988F Transmission/Torque Converter Issues

988Driver

Gday all.

New day, more transmission problems. Cat 988F seems to be now slipping in all gears. Thought it might have been torque converter problems as I had been digging dirt and towards the end of the day seemed to be lacking pushing power in order to fill the bucket. No wheel slip when digging for dirt. Then I noticed the machine seemed to slip in gear once under load. Have returned this morning to see if a cooler ambient temperature would make a difference but to no avail. I realise this is a vague description on what is going on Machine then seems to not want to move into any gear, however upon turning it off and then on, all of a sudden starts moving through the gears again. Very odd.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Make sure the left side brake pedal fully releases. I think that machine also has the variable output torque convertor as well. What position is the lever in? What makes you think the transmission is slipping other than the lack of tractive power?

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi, did you resolve your earlier problems with the trans screen blocking up or have you continued to keep running it?