• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977k Bucket Pin Questions

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
AISI 1040 is a medium carbon steel containing around 0.40% carbon, and can be heat treated at 844 to 899°C (1550 to 1650°F) followed by quenching in water and tempering.

1040 steel can be tempered at 316 to 705°C (600 to 1300°F) based on the desired strength.
1040 steel can also be satisfactorily flame hardened.

This steel can also be hardened by cold working. Cold working is the plastic deformation of metals below the recrystallization temperature, done with high pressure machinery in the factory.

The tensile strength of 1040 is around 90,000psi, so it rates as a high-tensile steel, but it can be drilled satisfactorily. I'd be using a cobalt alloy drill bit. You'll need an extra long drill, or you'll need to drill from both sides.

The hardened areas will provide major resistance to drilling, although the hardened areas should only be on the outer circumference of the pin.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige I just watched a Youtube video of an ARCAIR system to burn the holes in the Pins. Looks impressive, I'll check and see If I can rent one when I get my OX refiled Tuesday. Looks like the thermic lance You mentioned but a new version. Works on Ox/12Vdc .
The Arcair Slice is what I was talking about for removing pins. It's just a newer version of a thermic lance that doesn't need an axy-acetylene torch to fire it up klike the old-school ones did. Works very well for getting equalizer bar centre pins out on tractors.

Last edited:

tctractors

You may be right, but I'am Retired and on a fixed Income. This is my Toy and trying to work on it with, the tools I have. My Ox just ran out so can't heat or cut anything, until the holiday is done and get more. I done the Lift Cylinders with no problem, except getting the Big Nut off the Rod. Had to use my skid loader and a 10' cheater pipe and a 4' Pipe Wrench. I have a Double Hammer 1" Impact but not sure I can lift it anymore, will try once I get this one apart. Had a thought, that the top Pin on the Can might come out easier. I could pull it that way and rebuild the Head and rod seals. Maybe ?? Thanks
Firstly might I ask if you would accept my sincere apology as I was not aware of your situation, I am sort of Retired now at near 68 and have trimmed down my work hours a slight amount, I totally understand your comment of doing it with what you have about, I feel I cannot now add anything to help you but my very best wishes with this task as your years of getting it done will pay off and make it happen, I have all the Service Press tooling and let nothing become to big a problem, its an easy job to me but I am not in your Back Yard, so I need to again extend my Apology and wish you nothing but success.

catman977

tctractors You need not apologize for your comments, I was just explaining why I can't just cut into my tractor without trying. Your doing great, and I'am sure everyone benefits your's and everyone's input. I'am just one old guy that grew up and not throwing anything away. Headed for Ox refill tomorrow, and ask about the Arcair tool. I would like to have one, if not too expensive. I thought about the pin having a ledge, that may be keeping it from poping out. I pulled off the Rod puller that was in the Grease Zirk hole, reinserted the Zirk and filled it up with fresh grease, and hopefully any void created by a ledge. Yesterday I tried giving the 50 Ton Jack some more pressure, and it broke the chain, I had to hold the Levers together at the top. Got it back together and will try again tomorrow and apply lots of heat. Thanks everyone. Oh by the way I just turned 80 July 9th. Still got the 40's mind but body a lot slower. Ha​

Robert Boggs

Firstly might I ask if you would accept my sincere apology as I was not aware of your situation, I am sort of Retired now at near 68 and have trimmed down my work hours a slight amount, I totally understand your comment of doing it with what you have about, I feel I cannot now add anything to help you but my very best wishes with this task as your years of getting it done will pay off and make it happen, I have all the Service Press tooling and let nothing become to big a problem, its an easy job to me but I am not in your Back Yard, so I need to again extend my Apology and wish you nothing but success.

tctractors You need not apologize for your comments, I was just explaining why I can't just cut into my tractor without trying. Your doing great, and I'am sure everyone benefits your's and everyone's input. I'am just one old guy that grew up and not throwing anything away. Headed for Ox refill tomorrow, and ask about the Arcair tool. I would like to have one, if not too expensive. I thought about the pin having a ledge, that may be keeping it from poping out. I pulled off the Rod puller that was in the Grease Zirk hole, reinserted the Zirk and filled it up with fresh grease, and hopefully any void created by a ledge. Yesterday I tried giving the 50 Ton Jack some more pressure, and it broke the chain, I had to hold the Levers together at the top. Got it back together and will try again tomorrow and apply lots of heat. Thanks everyone. Oh by the way I just turned 80 July 9th. Still got the 40's mind but body a lot slower. Ha​

You’re going to get this done, and doing fine with what you have to work with. If you’re within a few hours of WV private message me and we’ll make it happen if I can help in any way.

catman977

Been away mowing, but back at the 977 Bucket Pin problem. I have another way I am going to try. I purchased a few pounds of dry ice at a grocery store. I will release the pressure off the 50 Ton Jack, then remove the 12"x 2 1/2" piece of hollow cold rolled steel thats pushing the pin. It has a hollow center, that I will fill with the dry ice. Then I plan to put a plastic shroud around it like a milk jug or similar, and also fill it with the dry ice. This should transfer the cold to the pin pretty good. I could also shroud the other side which has the pin puller rod in it and also dry ice it. Then put the 50 ton Jack under great pressure again, and reheat the Lever Eylets on the inside as well as the Hydraulic Rod Eyelet. Something has got to give. I will Post what happens next. Thanks everyone for your support.