• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977k Bucket Pin Questions

Robert Boggs

I need to replace two of the bucket pins on my 977k, but I'm having problems locating aftermarket pins. Most info I find on the web points to a 5k6383, but the only source I can find with dimensions listed show a 2" diameter. The pins I removed were 2 1/2" x 13 3/4" with a 3/4 keeper hole. Does anyone have the correct part number for the 2 1/2" pin, or can you tell me if the machine has possible been modified? Thanks!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well how about a machine Serial Number for a kickoff so that those of us who have access to the parts system can actually go and look at your machine.?

Also can you clarfiy exactly which pins you are talking about. I'm assuming that you mean what's known as the "B Pin" which connect the Lift Arms to the bucket, but I could be wrong.

FYI the 5K6383 is shown as being discontinued with no replacement, which is somewhat strange.

Robert Boggs

Nige, we appreciate your relentless support to the cause. It’s thanks to you n a previous post that I don’t really know the serial number. The engine reads 11k 1133 which I believe you interpreted as 11k 01133.

I’m measuring the B pin, but on this machine the upper link arms are the exact same pin on the bucket upper links.

I sure appreciate your expertise to the community!

Bobby

Nige

5K6383 is the correct Part Number for that location on an 11K machine.

All I can add to the measurements posted by HMC above is that the hole for the locking bolt is located 1.8" from the end of the pin and is 0.772" in diameter. The base material of the pin is a "modified" 1040 carbon steel, but it doesn't say how.......

Robert Boggs

I ended up locating aftermarket pins for cheaper than I could weld/machine them. Had on eBay for $70/each shipped in early 2023. Part number 5K6383 was correct OD in spite of the listing stating 2”. A good sloppy welding job on the bucket and a die grinder really tightened things up. Thanks all for the help!

Attachments

• 9EBE1443-8EEB-4371-AFA9-84CA0442BE66.jpeg
    9EBE1443-8EEB-4371-AFA9-84CA0442BE66.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

catman977

I'am Having trouble to get those Pins out so I can repack the Cylinder Rods. I have a homebuild puller for the 1 1/8 inch by 12 hole where the grease zirk hole is, and also a 50 ton Hydraulic jack pushing on the inside of the pin. I used Heat and the pin still wont budge. Any suggestions from anyone? Machine is 977K 11K1345. Thanks

catman977

I have thought of that but as a last resort. There must be a way to get them to move. I will weigh the cost of the new pins, versus calling a local service Cat truc, to come and push them for me. They use a hanging 250 Ton Press, but service rates are horrible. Thanks

sawmilleng

Sounds like the pin is either hung up on a wear step in the pin or the pin has seized in the bore somewhere.

Make sure you don't have anything putting pressure on the pin, like a cylinder leaking down or blocking not 100% holding up something.

Is the pin free to turn in the bore when it doesn't have any pull or push on it? If so, it must be hung up on a step of some sort. On the other hand, if it won't turn, check your blocking or get out your oxygen lance and burn it out...

Comment to Nige: My guess for the "modified" pin is that it is plain 1040 steel shafting, possibly hardened, with a 0.010" layer of hard chrome plating on it, which will take it to the 2.52" OD. Unless this machine is metric, in which case the pin is 64mm diameter....nah!

Jon.

Robert Boggs

Mine slid right out, but I brought a 50 ton hollow core air over hydraulic jack home from work to pull the track pins, I couldn’t imagine it not pulling bucket pins. As I’m sure you know the key is a good straight pull and help on the back end with a sledge or your other jack if possible. PM me for my cell if you have any questions.

Bobby

catman977

I will check for the pins having pressure on them. I have the bucket down and Flat on the ground. Iam using the cross stansion to rest a wooden cross table I built from 2x12 Planks, to hold the 50 Ton Hydraulic Jack pushing the Pin. I have a pin puller made from 1x3" steel to draw the Pin from the Pull hole. I can feel the threads slipping and not pulling much, but may help once the pin breaks loose. I'am sure these pins have never been pulled since mfr. I will start the machine and check for any rod pressure. Just wondering if heating the outer part of the Lever housing, then using Dry Ice on the pin would work while under pressure ??? Thanks everyone.

Nige

The problem, as I am sure you have found, when you push the pin from the inside is that the lift arm bends. This causes the pin to bind up in the bores of the bucket and lift arm. That’s why the threaded hole is there in the pin to pull on.

I still believe that if nothing is moving even so much as a millimetre then the answer is to break out the cutting gear. If you actually manage to get the pin out and find that it’s ridged then you’re going to be buying new pins anyway.

catman977

Hi Nige Thanks for all you good info. Yes the Levers do spread at the top, mostly because of the lower pins on the lift arms are worn too. You gave me a good idea though. I'am going to run a chain through the top eyelets, as it appears to be plenty of space there to do that, then use a chain binder to pull them straight. Hope that helps, it cant hurt. I have a lathe and Welder,in case te pins need rebuilt. Also Wearsheild Rods to build them up with. Thanks for all the great input. I will post how everything goes.

catman977

Back in for Lunch. I got the Levers chained together at the top with the chain binder, it looks straight and the Push Jack apparatus is level with tremendous pressure now. I started the machine up and moved the bucket rams in an out hoping it would break loose. It hasn't yet even with heat. I will try again later.

tctractors

I would not waste my time messing with those knacker jobs of pins, just get the cutting torch focused and burn them out, the effort to try and save something than is time done is not good use of your time on this Earth, its like pressing out an old Track pin, its not worth your effort so cut it out and fit new.

catman977

You may be right, but I'am Retired and on a fixed Income. This is my Toy and trying to work on it with, the tools I have. My Ox just ran out so can't heat or cut anything, until the holiday is done and get more. I done the Lift Cylinders with no problem, except getting the Big Nut off the Rod. Had to use my skid loader and a 10' cheater pipe and a 4' Pipe Wrench. I have a Double Hammer 1" Impact but not sure I can lift it anymore, will try once I get this one apart. Had a thought, that the top Pin on the Can might come out easier. I could pull it that way and rebuild the Head and rod seals. Maybe ?? Thanks

catman977

Nige I just watched a Youtube video of an ARCAIR system to burn the holes in the Pins. Looks impressive, I'll check and see If I can rent one when I get my OX refiled Tuesday. Looks like the thermic lance You mentioned but a new version. Works on Ox/12Vdc .

catman977

Just found the correct Cat part number for the Bucket Pins which are aprox 3" Dia and 8 1/2" long.
Part number = 6K1983 weighs 17.6 lbs One source wants $241.66 and free shipping each another wants $ 72.66 each and $40.80 shippng. Just wondering if I can drill a hole through the pin or is it too hard to do that?