• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977 Mayday (Blueox/Nige-help please!)

Robert Boggs

Until you get it torn down I think it's highly unlikely that you will be able to make a definitive parts list. I worry about the metal parts that look as though they came from a bearing cage and what other damage that might have done.
Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN is a good source from what others have posted on this forum. www.offroadeq.com/
Just looking for a budgetary number as it may be worth more dead than alive. It’s a solid machine otherwise, but I’d hate to spend more to repair it than what I paid for it.

Robert Boggs

Don't strip off the drive shaft and start it up as you will get an oil Bath when the drive shaft blows out of the converter, just start it up and get the Beast raised up at least 9"' on balks of timber.
Thanks much, Nige was kind enough to give me a heads up too. That’s something I certainly may have done.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I have a machine with a good trans. ser.#11K12?? I pulled the tracks off last fall. Interesteded in a road trip to get it? Or I could buy your's... I'm short of time but possibly open to adding to the fleet ... I want the 977's to flourish... A 977 can't compete with rear engine counter rotating track machine but a good mule in a tough fight.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I sent contact info. With us being so far apart exchanges may not be practical. The machine runs so you can warm it up somewhat and test it somewhat but not fully under load. It had other issues so I took its tracks for use on another machine.

jezow2010

I have a 977 with a bad trans, going to try and rebuild it. I’ll definitely do a thread bit maybe that’s a possibility too.

Robert Boggs

I’m thinking seriously about pulling the transmission and purchasing a refurb or repairing myself, however the service manual I posted didn’t include an overhaul manual for the 3S2706 transmission, just a generic diagram of all the different range components. Does anyone have info on the specific transmission repair manual, or a part number for the manual. Thanks!

jezow2010

Are you doing only the torque converter, or the range assembly as well?
We are planning on doing both. So far the TC is apart and it's really pretty simple but we all know that won't be the hard part...

I will do a video on tearing down the trans hopefully before the end of the year

Welder Dave

$8500 for a rebuilt trans. with I assume a warranty doesn't seem too bad to me. Just taking the old one apart and figuring out what all parts you need would be quite the chore.

Robert Boggs

So here are a few documents that might help you.
The transmission R&I also covers the D&A for the planetary group.
Thanks so much, sorry I got side tracked for a few days. The 2-110 manual did not go into that detail, but at a glance this looks to be exactly what I need you if I rip into that machine.