• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977 Mayday (Blueox/Nige-help please!)

Robert Boggs

I took a few vacation days to get some things done and had an incident on the Cat 977L or K (11K 01133 according to the engine). A friend was running it and yelled on the radio it lost drive. I can hear the machine load lightly when I run it through the gears in forward and reverse, but it won’t budge. First dip of the trans stick was dirty, but the next two were spot on and clean. I’m thinking something broke in the link between the transmission and steering clutch(s). What connects the two?. Any other thoughts?

Best

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Start by lifting the floor plate and look at the drive shaft between the torque converter and the transmission. With the engine idling in neutral the shaft should be rotating. Engage any gear and it should stop. Shift from one gear to another and the shaft should turn slightly then stop again. Try that in all gears and report back.

Robert Boggs

Start by lifting the floor plate and look at the drive shaft between the torque converter and the transmission. With the engine idling in neutral the shaft should be rotating. Engage any gear and it should stop. Shift from one gear to another and the shaft should turn slightly then stop again. Try that in all gears and report back.
Thanks Nige, that's the first thing I checked but incorrectly assumed it should remain rotating. It does NOT stop rotating, and even appeared to speed up as I moved through the gears.

Robert Boggs

I need to bite the bullet and buy a repair manual for this machine. If anyone could tell me whether this would be a 977K (I think) or an 977L repair manual, or share a service manual part number that would be great? Serial number (only found on the engine): 11k 01133

Nige

Thanks Nige, that's the first thing I checked but incorrectly assumed it should remain rotating. It does NOT stop rotating, and even appeared to speed up as I moved through the gears.
That means that the transmission clutches are not engaging, usually but not necessarily as a result of low transmission oil pressure.

With the floorplate up take a look for the housing containing the magnetic screen. It will have a cover secured by 4 bolts. Get that screen out and post photos of what you find stuck to the magnets (metallic) and to the inside of the screen (non metallic).

Do you have pressure gauges capable of measuring up to say 400psi.?

1696609267278.png

Nige

I need to bite the bullet and buy a repair manual for this machine. If anyone could tell me whether this would be a 977K (I think) or an 977L repair manual, or share a service manual part number that would be great? Serial number (only found on the engine): 11k 01133
The appropriate Service Manual for 11K01133 is Caterpillar Publication REG00635. See this LINK for one on eBay. There are others if you search under the Publication Number. A new one is priced at $285 BTW, so don't go paying too much.

Robert Boggs

I'll check it out soon as I have a chance.

If I don't have a gauge I can get ahold of one this evening. Does the machine already have provisions to pressure test, or will I need a tee? If so, would you happen to know what thread type/size? Thanks!

Nige

Does the machine already have provisions to pressure test, or will I need a tee? If so, would you happen to know what thread type/size?
A machine from that era is not likely to have quick connectors for testing, probably threaded plugs that will most likely be 1/4" either NPT or similar. You'lkl have to whip some of the p;lugs out and take a look. See the attachment. Don't go too far on this just yet, first get into the screen/magnetic filter and see what you find.

Attachments

• Transmission T&A.pdf
    753.6 KB · Views: 5

Robert Boggs

Very good call Nige on not getting too far trying to prep for fittings, I have trouble in paradise. I’m going to scour the parts manuals to see what I can ID, but assuming I’m into a transmission and full flush if I repair it.

Attachments

• 9B3B0667-0F28-4D99-A7B5-55535D3F6F9E.jpeg
    9B3B0667-0F28-4D99-A7B5-55535D3F6F9E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • E3B0840D-0B6B-48B2-861C-BCC74317E6EB.jpeg
    E3B0840D-0B6B-48B2-861C-BCC74317E6EB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 4A61CF6F-920F-4CE0-AD9B-69E59370B511.jpeg
    4A61CF6F-920F-4CE0-AD9B-69E59370B511.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 065E6F98-553D-497C-8ADD-6BA8EE7464D9.jpeg
    065E6F98-553D-497C-8ADD-6BA8EE7464D9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56

Robert Boggs

I’m having a hay of a time even trying to locate parts new or used to pull an estimate together. Guessing I’m in the $10k-$15k range? Any suggestions on what would be the safest way to start it so I can get the bucket raised and tow it out of the way without further contamination?

Nige

I’m having a hay of a time even trying to locate parts new or used
Until you get it torn down I think it's highly unlikely that you will be able to make a definitive parts list. I worry about the metal parts that look as though they came from a bearing cage and what other damage that might have done.
Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN is a good source from what others have posted on this forum. www.offroadeq.com/

Last edited: