• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955 Steering clutches

showrguy

I talked to my buddy earlier, he has the charger on the batteries, he said he'd try and move it outa where it's at this weekend..
I will post some pictures.......Once I figure out how to on this site >>
This is the same machine that dug the basement for the place I'm sitting at right at this moment, I ran the thing back then,,,, it was 2001 when I built this house, 1st time ever on a machine like that....
Buddy said, "you think you can move that pile around the front to backfill ??"...... I said, "probably, how do you run it ??" He said "get on it, you'll figure it out, if you can run a backhoe, you can run anything"..
I figured it out..

workshoprat92

Dont want to hijack this thread but since we are on the topic of 955L steering clutches my 955L I has the LH pinion shaft and carrier out of it. entire steering clutch assembly had to come out to get to it. Also LH final drive disassembled. I need to get my LH final drive back together. If i check end play on the RH pinion shaft and flange it is pretty large or so I think. Does anyone know what this end play should be? I cant find anywhere in the manual where it would say whats acceptable. Its large enough the very outside friction disk has bent fingers on the splines where the drum has bent them over when being released and no longer lined up with drum splines. I think the only way this can be done is with this large end play. I need to figure out why this is causing this issue. Has anyone seen anything like this?

tctractors

The top pinion should have a small amount of end float (in-out) from the pinion roller bearings, the B/Drum flange should also have only a very small amount of lift-tilt to it with good bearings on the pinion, the in -out float is usually around an 1/8" but more or less than this figure is not an issue, on the flange tilt on the outer edge it could be 3/16" as a max or around that spot but there is lift and float, its not much trouble to pop off the flange and pull out the pinion re-sealing the shaft as you go, as for the disc issue a picture would be handy to see.
tctractors

workshoprat92

The top pinion should have a small amount of end float (in-out) from the pinion roller bearings, the B/Drum flange should also have only a very small amount of lift-tilt to it with good bearings on the pinion, the in -out float is usually around an 1/8" but more or less than this figure is not an issue, on the flange tilt on the outer edge it could be 3/16" as a max or around that spot but there is lift and float, its not much trouble to pop off the flange and pull out the pinion re-sealing the shaft as you go, as for the disc issue a picture would be handy to see.
tctractors

I am going to start a new thread on this issue as to not hijack this thread. I will cut and paste your reply there.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-and-undercarriage-oh-my!&p=594695#post594695

Last edited:

showrguy

Just wanted to let some of you fellas know that I did'nt "fly the coop" on/about this machine..
He tried to start it last weekend, but fuel pressure would'nt build, and batteries went south trying to crank it..
Just saw my buddy a bit ago, he said there is an oil pressure gizmo that he did'nt know about that will not let fuel get through until engine builds oil pressure..
The machine has been sitting for 2 years, so tonight he got it cranked till she was trying to lite (puffing good) then the batteries ran outa juice...
I suspect it won't be long till I have it here at my place..
Batteries were brand new when he parked it, he said it makes him sick, but the batteries might be shot cause he left em in the machine ??

AllDodge

Just wanted to let some of you fellas know that I did'nt "fly the coop" on/about this machine..
He tried to start it last weekend, but fuel pressure would'nt build, and batteries went south trying to crank it..
Just saw my buddy a bit ago, he said there is an oil pressure gizmo that he did'nt know about that will not let fuel get through until engine builds oil pressure..
The machine has been sitting for 2 years, so tonight he got it cranked till she was trying to lite (puffing good) then the batteries ran outa juice...
I suspect it won't be long till I have it here at my place..
Batteries were brand new when he parked it, he said it makes him sick, but the batteries might be shot cause he left em in the machine ??

Don't know of anything like that. What's your the serial number?

workshoprat92

I saw that. Something aftermarket maybe..?

The latter model D333 and D330 engines had something like that on the governor housing where it wouldn't allow the rack to come out of no fuel position till oil pressure released it. I don't know if the 55L had that or not.

showrguy

The latter model D333 and D330 engines had something like that on the governor housing where it wouldn't allow the rack to come out of no fuel position till oil pressure released it. I don't know if the 55L had that or not.

That sounds like what he said..
Serial # is 85J534x..

tctractors

The compact Scroll pump has a rack limiter that lets the engine start and run at low idle until the oil pressure overcomes the peg around 15-18 psi it was common to see after market engine saver kits that shut the engine down fast on loss of oil pressure Centinal (sp) being a common 1
tctractors

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The compact Scroll pump has a rack limiter that lets the engine start and run at low idle until the oil pressure overcomes the peg around 15-18 psi it was common to see after market engine saver kits that shut the engine down fast on loss of oil pressure Centinal (sp) being a common 1
tctractors

That takes me back a few years! Seems I recall that if an operator mashed down on the governor peddle while starting it would hold pressure on that little pin and they would think there was something wrong. Tell them to let it up then hit it again it was like magic now it worked.

Same kind of thing with the mechanical linkage transmissions in loaders. Guy would not realize it was in gear and start engine. Then sit there shifting forwards and reverse revving engine to get it to move. Had to tell them to put in neutral and count to five, not really needed that long but it worked. I think some never understood that was normal they seemed to think there was a problem I should fix!

tctractors

By posting a few pictures we can tell you if it has it and how to trick it into full rack travel.
tctractors

showrguy

Saw my buddy a little while ago, he said that for some reason the machine is not building fuel pressure, it has a little flow but not like it should..
Kinda like maybe the pump shaft in the fuel pump is stuck, "up"... If any of you guys have any suggestions how you would free up such a thing (if that's it) were all ears..
Keep in mind, this things been sitting for 2 years...
Thanks..

AllDodge

Not that this is your issue but I had a hard time bleeding all the air out of mine after repairing and changing fuel system parts. Did not change the pump but getting all the air out took some time. Have you tried a small shot of either (very small shot)

kshansen

Occupation
It's not no fuel that is locked out but just held to low idle or close to it.

governor lock.png

IN the above picture the thing that does this is circled in red. Plunger #18 has a pin that holds rack back till oil pressure is enough to push it against the spring to the left.

kshansen

Occupation
Not sure if this was in this thread or another but someone was asking about the priming pumps on these older engines, some parts are available.prime pump.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Saw my buddy a little while ago, he said that for some reason the machine is not building fuel pressure, it has a little flow but not like it should..
Kinda like maybe the pump shaft in the fuel pump is stuck, "up"... If any of you guys have any suggestions how you would free up such a thing (if that's it) were all ears..
Keep in mind, this things been sitting for 2 years...
Thanks..

I might start by eliminating as much of the fuel system as possible. Connect a hose directly to the fuel pump and put the other end in a bucket of fuel then see if you get good pressure. If it has been siting for two years could be something in a fuel line or the tank restricting the suction line. I'm assuming new filter has been installed.

Also have you cleaned the fuel strainer? That is mounted under the fuel injection pump? Actually this should be the first thing to check before the bucket of fuel idea!
strainer.png