• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955 L

Spyros33

Occupation
Mechanical engineer, machine operator
Any ideas what these are for? They came with the cylinder head.

Is it for some sort of corrosion protection?

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_184403.jpg
    IMG_20200826_184403.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65

Spyros33

Occupation
I was talking about the pipe, I believe the 3304 uses linders, so what your seeing is normal

I am reffering to the straight hairline that gies from one cylinder to another, not the gap between liners and Block

Spyros33

Occupation
Just noticed another number under the plate on the engine. F5386V. Is it an aftermarket code?

AllDodge

Any ideas what these are for? They came with the cylinder head.

Is it for some sort of corrosion protection?

Don't know, hope someone else does
I haven't been into my 3304 other then to replace exhaust man

I am reffering to the straight hairline that gies from one cylinder to another, not the gap between liners and Block

That crack does not look good, if it goes clear thru, and it probably does, then don't know if the block can be fixed

56wrench

i, personally, would put the head on to run it temporarily, load it and move it home if you only have limited time to work on it where its at. once its at your yard, you can assess whether you will spend any more money on it or scrap it. if the engine is in such poor condition there is no way to even guess what the rest of the machine is like internally or even if it will move

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
While I have serious concerns about that crack between the liners, I would agree with 56wrench, put it together and move it to where it has to be for further work.

Actually if you go back to my post #7 in this thread that was my suggestion to begin with before spending the money on the head! Project like this can be a slippery slope or landslide. Once started things can go down hill fast and take your wallet for a ride. I think you are finding out why whoever started this project stopped when they did!

Dave Neubert

I have pulled down many with a crack there as long as you have not removed the liners I would run it the most you will be out is a head gasket

Spyros33

Occupation
So, yesterday i had my day of from work so i got busy with the loader.

Firts start was success, it works fine, hydraulics o. K, steering needs a bit brake adjustment but cluthes work properly,
Transmission also works great, gears engaging easily and i tried pushing against a big pile of dirt and both tracks were spinning.

It was a relief that no other Major issues occured, so now its time for transportation
As for the Block cracks, worst case scenario is i will have to take it out and repair the cracks.

Thanks everyvody for the great advice and valuable info.

Spyros33

Occupation
Does anyone have any info about the undercarriage?
I need rollers and track dimensions

Spyros33

Occupation
Alldodge thanks but i am more interested in the actual dimensions of the rollers and tracks, so i can see if they match with Any other equipment like excavators

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
They will not.

Track Loaders by CAT will be as for Dozer considerably heavier than Excavators. 6.906" or 175mm rails. Used on D5, 951C, early 953. One of the others here with SIS access can give a rundown on Rollers idler and other track components.

Spyros33

Occupation
So the loader is in my Shop and today i got it to sit on blocks and started working on the undercarriage.

On the left side, the spring retainer screw is loose and i can even move it a llitle back and forth. Does that mean that it is broken? IMG_20200905_150031.jpg

AllDodge

Does that mean that it is broken?

No, only time it's used is to hold the spring when its compressed the first time during install. Once its installed its loosened and stats that way until spring needs to be replaced again. If you need new springs like mine did, I just used a torch and cut them up, then removed