• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955 L

Spyros33

Occupation
Mechanical engineer, machine operator
Hello to everyone, i am a new member to this forum, but i have found much help in the past in various posts.

I Just purchased a 955 L. I dont know the date of the machine, there is a small plate welded on the engine side of the "dashboard" that reads 8Y8710. Is that the serial number?

The loader has been sitting for two years due to cylinder head failure, combustion was leaking in the cooland circuit. The previous owner took the head out but never got it fixed.
I Had a look at the head, i can see cracks on the three cylinders between the valves but i dont know if they go all the way to the water chanel.
I took the precombustion Chambers out to check for holes or cracks but they seem o. K.

Could it be that Just the gasket is blown from overheating due to coolant leak from radiator/ hose and it Will work Just fine with a new one?

If the cracks are all the way to the water channels can they be welded, or they Will not hold?

Monday i Will get a semi gasket set so i can mount the engine and transport the loader to my house.

Please share your opinion with me and any info about this machine Will be aprreciated

Forgive me for any grammar or terminology mistakes.

Spyros

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know it's not much help but here is what Cat gives as places to see Serial numbers, see attached file.

Also these are the prefixes, numbers and letter would be at the start of the serial number.

955L prefixes.jpg

Attachments

• 955L Serial Numbers.pdf
    108.6 KB · Views: 11

Spyros33

Occupation
Thank you for your answers.
I found a number stamped on the right side, under the boom pin. If i can read it right it is 64J6418. Can anyone identify the date of the machine?

Sealark37 i was afraid that might be the case but since i am going to mount the engine head anyway so i can transport the loader, why not weld the cracks and see how long it Will Last. It will be a chance to check the rest of the machine too, transmission, hydraulic, steering.

Spyros33

Occupation
Screenshot_20200822-161900.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-161856.png
    Screenshot_20200822-161856.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20200822-161852.png
    Screenshot_20200822-161852.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 41

kshansen

Occupation
Thank you for your answers.
I found a number stamped on the right side, under the boom pin. If i can read it right it is 64J6418. Can anyone identify the date of the machine?

Sealark37 i was afraid that might be the case but since i am going to mount the engine head anyway so i can transport the loader, why not weld the cracks and see how long it Will Last. It will be a chance to check the rest of the machine too, transmission, hydraulic, steering.
Well looking at the cracks and the extreme amount of pitting I would say that it had the problem for more than a little time!

Best I would be hoping for is that it might run long enough get loaded on truck to move and again to unload and that might be close.

I tried looking on SIS for the S/N and it does look good but it is too old for them to give an "as built " date. Best I could do is to look at some of the information about it and most of the articles are dated late 1970's to early 1980's, but being a Pre-chamber engine that was probably a given!

56wrench

i agree, it needs a new ( or good used) head. it was probably run low on coolant at one time and severely overheated. the surface is likely warped also

kshansen

Occupation
The more I look at those cracks the more I'd be tempted to just reassemble engine, maybe even reusing the original head gasket, after checking to see if it will even turn over and not even put any water in the radiator. Then see if it would start. If by luck it does shut it down the second it does start and get what ever truck or trailer you are planing to load it on in position. Then start it once more and load it fast and kill it once more. Once at the planed repair site unload it as close as possible to where you plan on working on it and start it once more and unload. Then kill engine the second it is in position.

The reason I would leave the water out is that from the looks of those cracks I would be worried about filling a cylinder with water and causing a hydro-static lock which would most likely prevent engine from turning over and or bend a connecting rod.

Others here may have different ideas but that is what I'm thinking from over here! As for getting this engine back to working condition the bare minimum I would be looking at would be a new/exchange head and a full set of cylinder kits along with figuring out why the head cracked! That could be from one or more problems like bad water pump, plugged radiator, or just general lack of maintenance.

kshansen

Occupation
i agree, it needs a new ( or good used) head. it was probably run low on coolant at one time and severely overheated. the surface is likely warped also
Yes and I don't think it was the result of one days mistreatment! Those pits took a bit of time to get that deep. I'd sure be interested in seeing how the pistons, rings and liners look, liners inside and out!

Bluox

08Y and 64J are both 955L French built machines ,guessing early 1980.
They both were built with a 48V 3304 engine ,look on left rear on block above starter for motor number.
I think new aftermarket heads are available for a 3304 and that they made a lot of them so a used one may be possible .
Good luck
Bob

Spyros33

Occupation
Thank again everyone for replying so fast.

Truth is that the whole loader does not look in a good condition so i dont think maintenance was in the previous owner shedule.

Undercarriage needs replacement, the flanges on the rods that push the idlers are broken and some screw on the brackets that hold the "death spring" in alignment are broken.

But i got it for 2000€ so it is not much of a risk. If it does not turn over at all i will scrap it on site

Any opinions about welding the cracks on the head?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-204007.png
    Screenshot_20200822-204007.png
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20200822-204134.png
    Screenshot_20200822-204134.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20200822-204019.png
    Screenshot_20200822-204019.png
    536.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20200822-204222.png
    Screenshot_20200822-204222.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 85

Spyros33

Occupation
Broken screws on the brackets

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-204211.png
    Screenshot_20200822-204211.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

56wrench

i wouldn't waste the money. just look for another head. it will likely cost as much or more to get that one repaired than you can find a good used one for, or an aftermarket one

Spyros33

Occupation
Looks like that head has been off for some time.

Yes it was sitting with a plastic cover on it for 2 years. Today i am going to clean the cylinder Block face thoroughly and drain the engine oil.

Anyone know the size of the fan v-belts?

kshansen

Occupation
Yes it was sitting with a plastic cover on it for 2 years. Today i am going to clean the cylinder Block face thoroughly and drain the engine oil.

Anyone know the size of the fan v-belts?
Well going by the arrangement number on the tag "6A5545" the Cat part number would be 2P2696 and going by a cross reference book for a auto parts place "NAPA" that crosses to there 25-30624 which the list as a "22mm wide by 1599mm long belt" (7/8 inch by 62 7/8 inch). The Cat number is for a set of two!