• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 920 accelerator detent

Joel59

My 920 loader won’t idle. As soon as I let off on the accelerator it dies. If I’m understanding correctly, there should be a detent that holds the throttle “open” just a bit so it idles- then pull “up” on the accelerator ( past the detent) to kill the engine. How do I go about correcting this? Thanks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A model designation such as 920B, 920C, 920G and so on would help. A serial number would make things near perfect so we know what you are working on.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are actually three S/N prefixes of 920. 41J, 62K, & 75J, but fortunately the setting procedure for the governor linkage on all of them appears to be the same.
Does this help..?

Attachments

• 920 Governor Control Linkage.pdf
    261.2 KB · Views: 13

Joel59

Great thoughts, Nige. Thank you. I was just assuming that something was worn off inside and the linkage never even crossed my mind! I will look into it. Thanks again.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I had trouble with our 920 (62k) awhile back. IIRC I took the throttle linkage off at the pump. Then pulled the plate off that the throttle shaft goes thru. IIRC there is basically two plates with a ball between them. There is a spring that holds the plates together. When you pull the throttle to detent to shut it off the ball basically spreads the plates. Thats where our problem was. Sorry about the crude description but that's about all I can seem to remember. Hopefully someone can come up with a breakdown of the governor to help visualize it better.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
what bam1968 is pretty close. One thing if you do remove the cover the throttle shaft goes through be very careful to NOT pull out the shaft or you will hear things drop inside the governor! That would require removing the complete governor and open up a few more chances for a major problem if not reinstalled correctly.

There is a spring under that cover that holds the detent plates together, nothing that will knock you head off!, with I believe it is a pin with rounded ends not just a ball. I believe you can only replace one of the plates and the pin without removing the shaft and that might be enough to get things working right.

Some times the parts under that cover can get a bit rusty as they are not in a place that sees any kind of lubricant and the seal in the cover can let moisture in over the years. You may get lucky and just need to remove the cover and wash the parts off with say WD-40 and things will free up enough to work again. But once more do NOT let that shaft come out, hold a thumb on it while sliding the cover off.

If you need numbers for the seal or gasket for the cover or other parts let me know!

kshansen

Occupation
Cover gasket 4N0402
Seal in Cover 4C2786
Plates for Detent 6N5482
Spring Under Cover 4N4366
Pin/Detent 4N8179
Spacers(2) 4N0444

Did a little more digging and found some not great pictures.

First one give you an idea of what it will look like with cover off:
920 gov02.png
#11 are the plates, just below the arrow in picture you can see a small hole and opposite is another this is were the spacer in the parts list are found. Under the shaft you can see the slot the detent pin works in.

Below is anothe not great picture but it shows the shaft out of the gov housing, not something I would suggest right now but might give a better idea of what in in there:
920 gov01.png
Those parts #6 and #9 are the ones you will hear falling inside if you let the shaft come out!

Hope this helps a little, maybe someone else can add to it. It has been several years since I hand my hands on one of these governors.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It was a question for someone to answer. Apparently it worked.

Joel59

Well now I’m in trouble! I removed the shaft before I read your post! I ordered both plates 6N5482 and the pin 4N8179, and the spring 4N4366. What should I do now????

kshansen

Occupation
Well now I’m in trouble! I removed the shaft before I read your post! I ordered both plates 6N5482 and the pin 4N8179, and the spring 4N4366. What should I do now????
Not good!
Hate to say it but may be time to find someone who has worked on one of these governors before as the governor has to come off the pump and then the shaft and plated reinstalled. There are too many things that could go wrong if something is not reinstalled just right.

Where abouts are you located in NY? I or someone else may know someone other than the dealer in your area.

I could send you the assembly instructions from SIS but they are not all that clear and are written assuming you a doing a total tear-down and rebuild off the engine so many steps they talk about are not needed to do your job. Also like I said any one mistake could cause a total failure of the engine on start up.

Joel59

Darn it. Haste makes waste every time!! In my (uneducated) opinion, it needed to come apart anyway...as there was significant wear to both plates and the pin. I am in western NY near the PA line. I could ship it to you, Kshansen!! lol!

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I feel your pain Joel59!! I had the same thing happen to me. As Ken said it's not a good deal but with his help and a little luck I was able to get it back together. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember that on the first start up I had a helper on the ready line to plug off the air intake in case the engine wanted to take off and run wide open. Thankfully I was fortunate enough that it didn't!!! Good luck.

kshansen

Occupation
bam1968, did you save any of my posts about that one? I might be able to search and find it but as you have done it recently maybe you could help Joel59 better than me!

Joel59

I can definitely use some help, guys. If there is a thread about the process that would be great! Kshansen, if you could post up those instructions it would be great. If you guys remember this is the engine/loader from my other thread that has a total new rebuild. It runs great, no leaks or issues other than this governor.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
bam1968, did you save any of my posts about that one? I might be able to search and find it but as you have done it recently maybe you could help Joel59 better than me!
I tried looking for that thread and can't seem to find it anywhere. My memory isn't very good with these type of things. LOL. I will keep looking and see if I can come up with it.