• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 416B cranks but won’t start

BigWrench55

Yes the injection pump is timed with the engine. If you don’t know how to get the engine time I wouldn’t attempt removing the injection pump. It’s sounds like you are not getting any fuel to the injectors. You have ether a failed shut off solenoid or a bad injection pump. Make sure that you have power and ground to the two wires on the pump. Have a helper turn the key on but not cranking, while you listen and feel at the pump for a click. If you have all of that then pump has failed. Best of luck to you.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You HAVE TO HAVE power going to the solenoid at the top of the pump w/ the key ON..
You should feel/hear it click..
I just looked at your pics again & noticed the easy access to the steel lines ON the back of the pump..
JUST FOR diagnosis purposes, loosen the lines THERE, at the back of the pump..
THAT WAY, your not wearing down your starter looking for fuel AT the LOOSENED lines AT THE INJECTORS..
PULL the throttle to WIDE OPEN when trying to start..!!!

rocks

As it turned out the culprit was the injectors themselves. They were full of debris, and after cleaning them it started right up.
Thank you guys for all your help

BigWrench55

Praise God it wasn’t your injection pump. it’s always worth the effort to do all these tedious things to find the problem. Nothing is worse then assuming a failed injection pump and paying lord knows how much to have it rebuilt. Then installing it and still have the same problem. Now your out money and time. And for me time is much more valuable than money.