• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 365/Cat 245 comparison

Dominion 410

Looking for information on how these two machines compare in size/weight.
Am familiar with the 235,but not have had any dealings with either the 365 or 245.Also how they compare in arm strength -particularly in pulling a long(27') x 8' high heavy wall trench box with a 6' high stacking section pinned to it.
Do the arms close in tight to allow easier manouvering around overhead wires?Both machines sit up a fair bit higher than a 235.
Does the 365 seem to have a heavy enough counterweight?The 345C we have could sure use more weight in that area.Does'nt look like the 245 has any problem with regards to this.
In setting heavy pipe and structures how do they fair out?
What is the reliability like on these machines-more so the 365.
Seems like a lot of areas/variables to cover,but there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site.:drinkup

Thanks for any help, Dominion

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Now I am by no means an excavator expert , there are others here that are though , but I can help somewhat ,
46' reach fully extended, medium stick ?
32,920 lb lift cap , no problem moving around a trench box
the boom and stick will close in tight , tight enough to hit the cab , I have seen it ,
operating weight , couldnt tell you 140-150K ???:confused:
The 245 is a solid rugged well built machine I havent ever heard of any major problems with them

365C L 46'1" reach , not sure what stick
40,000 lb lift cap. , more or less depends on the machine and what you have it set up to do
not sure if the boom and stick will close up tight
145,430K operating weight ,

I hope that helps , like I said I am no excavator expert , I would like to know the exact specs too!!

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Any 245 you find will be an slow, fuel hungry, oil leaking, obsolete and all worn out. When they were new they were very powerful but very slow. Travel power was there but they traveled a lot like an old line crane.

The 365 however is fast for its size, vary powerful has current availability of parts and anyone can run one. It is bigger and heavier, has the the variable gauge carbody and all the amenities operators like, air conditioning, suspension seat, stereo system and so on.

The 365 is the only one I would consider if I had the money to purchase either one. However money is probably a big consideration as well. The 365 will set you back a substantial amount of clams.

Dominion 410

Thanks for the replies.The Ritchie site is very informative as well.
We are considering renting a 365C from the local Cat dealer for a large sewer project.The trench will be 25' deep at times but averaging closer to the 20 to 22 foot range.Will need a 20'x8'high trench box stacked with the same.A good pull -we have a 345C on rent at present,and don't think it will handle this set-up very easily.Nice machine to handle,comfortable but find it lacking good balance.Needs heavier counterweight imo.
Have looked at a 245B but hesitant to make a decision to purchase. As JohnC. stated their are drawbacks with them as they are becoming vintage.Parts are available,but fuel and downtime (there will be that I'm sure) do not make it a good choice for a front-line machine.
Would never consider a new 365C to purchase-way to much $$$,but there is a 2001 365BL with 8500 hours,25'10" boom,15'4"arm at the Cat dealers yard.It has been Cat maintained since new and the price is not bad either.
Any opinions on the B series?

Thanks for the help, Dominion:canada

wormkiller

Occupation
IUOE Local 150
Stacked 24'x8'x8" is doable with a decent 345Bl long stick. Whats the ground conditions? What width spreader pipe will be used? Got any ground water or running sand? I think a 345c and stacked 20' boxes at 22' deep will get the job done, unless your in rock.

Sewer work isnt a job, it's an adventure.:cool:Good luck.

Dominion 410

The job is about 3300 feet in length.Lots of blue gumbo clay,sandy gravel with a high water table.Good submersible pumps are a given.Right down the ditch line on the side of an existing road.Have to maintain traffic on one side of work zone,so thats where the double stacked box comes into play.The box will have five foot spreaders and mud plates front and back.The double box is good,but cumbersome at times.When it gets stuck-it's stuck.

Wormkiller, your adage is very true.:drinkup

Dominion

ben46a

i know its short notice but theres a nearly new 700 volvo going up at ritchie brothers in Truro NS here this week, its in good shape and there is very little market here for it so i bet it will go for a song.

Dert-T

Dominion 410,

Not sure where you are in Ontario, but there are a LOT of large contractors in the GTA that have 245B, 245B SeriesII, and 245D machines working everyday.
After speaking with some of them, and hearing their concerns about how the newer CAT 345C/D, 365CL, and 385CL's computer/electronic issue's keep causing repeated downtime, I know why they are continually refurbing the old 245's and 235's. I also know a lot of them have had boom's and stick's rebuilt and/or beefed up by NYE Manufacturing in Mississauga as well, as some are into pretty heavy rock on a daily basis.
I know Toromont in Concord has got a pretty good supply of 245 parts, not sure about the other branches, but they're no more than 24hrs to your machine in province regardless.
Personally, if you could get a good 245, it will still put pipe in the ground for you, and at 70tons, she's heavy enough to drag around shields, box's, and pipe all day.
Drop me a PM sometime....I'd like to hear how you made out, and where you are.

john1066

We have both we have a 365C a 245 and 245D they are all about the same when it comes to production. but for the deep sewer work handling plates and boxes we use a koehring 1066 which is more like a 385 the 365 and 245's can do it but bigger is better especially when you get into wet conditions

Terra Bull

I got to check out the new CAT 374D a couple of weeks ago when i was at tinaja Hills for training. I have pictures of it but im afraid i would get in trouble if i posted them since i was told later NO PICS lol ooops.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I got to check out the new CAT 374D a couple of weeks ago when i was at tinaja Hills for training. I have pictures of it but im afraid i would get in trouble if i posted them since i was told later NO PICS lol ooops.

A 374D ??:confused: I think you better post atleast one pic of that, thats the first I have heard of one, Dont be holdin out on us

Last edited:

RowanH

If the 374D is the new designation for the 365, did they mention what the designation will be for the replacement 385? Or is this a whole new machine to sit in between the existing two?

special tool

Dominion 410,

Not sure where you are in Ontario, but there are a LOT of large contractors in the GTA that have 245B, 245B SeriesII, and 245D machines working everyday.
After speaking with some of them, and hearing their concerns about how the newer CAT 345C/D, 365CL, and 385CL's computer/electronic issue's keep causing repeated downtime, I know why they are continually refurbing the old 245's and 235's. I also know a lot of them have had boom's and stick's rebuilt and/or beefed up by NYE Manufacturing in Mississauga as well, as some are into pretty heavy rock on a daily basis.
I know Toromont in Concord has got a pretty good supply of 245 parts, not sure about the other branches, but they're no more than 24hrs to your machine in province regardless.
Personally, if you could get a good 245, it will still put pipe in the ground for you, and at 70tons, she's heavy enough to drag around shields, box's, and pipe all day.

The computer issue is a very important issue that a lot of business newbies don't appreciate...until its too late.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Dominion 410,

They should have stuck to mechanical models with little electronics, not with all this electronic mumbo jumbo.

Diecastmania

Occupation
Youtube
They should have stuck to mechanical models with little electronics, not with all this electronic mumbo jumbo.
Emanuello seems to like that concept. All they have is 200 series CATs, nothing newer. The newest is a 231D series II