• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 325L no hydraulic power

rclay1981

I've got a cat 325l long reach with app 10000 hrs on it serial# 6KK0012K
It started out with no power and a hydraulic chatter noise while raising the boom the other functions seamed normal. I checked pump psi both were around 4000 psi so i tested pressures at boom cylinder and it was about the same but while working the machine it lost hydraulic power to all functions. Boom up is only 1800 psi, boom down 900 psi at the cylinders.
Checking the pumps pressures they are low all the time. I flipped over ride switch and it didn't make difference.
Thanks for the help

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Pull the suction strainer in the hydraulic tank. I've heard the kind of noise you describe on a machine a leaf licker poured dirt into.

r20d12

Occupation
heavy equipment field tech since July 1990
So the filters were changed. Then it started messing up?

rclay1981

The customer changed the hyd oil and filters and have app 20 hours on them.

Does anyone have the procedure for checking and adjusting the prv valve?

TVA

Is there any chance that customer also drained oil out of pumps and didn’t fill pumps back at the recommissioning?

rclay1981

I did find out some prior history of the machine before my customers got it. It’s had numerous different hydraulic problems and it’s had 2 PRV valves put on it in the last 2 years the Pump was supposed to of been rebuilt three years ago

TVA

Hey CAT guys, is there a ways to tap in to suction line to mesure vacuum on that machine?

r20d12

Occupation
Piston pumps can't "suck" the oil is pushed into the supply side by atmospheric pressure. You made me think of something! I think this model has an air pump that pressurizes the tank to help feed the pump. If it has failed then that would have explained the pump cavitation sounds when you called for max flow. Due to the air pump failure though. It sounds like the main pump ate its self.

TVA

I didn’t know about air pump, I always thought that tank pressure was building up by system heating up and by case drains.

TVA

On the other thread, chap from Oz. Found what killed his pump - rag in the tank!
And gat this - Daikin pump on the CAT excavator! I don’t think we have those here for n US! Only Daikin I know is refrigeration equipment!

Last edited:

r20d12

Occupation
On the other thread, chap from Oz. Found what killed his pump - rag in the tank!
And gat this - Daikin pump on the CAT excavator! I don’t think we have those here for n US! Only Daikin I know is refrigeration equipment!

I can't find the thread!? Rags can be quite troublesome!