• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 3208 injector options mo powah!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That could be an interesting way to go.. nudge nudge wink wink
has the standard v pump too

Dont quote me, but from pics Ive seen the intake is the same, the turbo version has a cast piece that bolts in place, replacing the current part that connects direct to the air cleaner

ok having sat down and done the math, it would be a gain of 19.4% ish still better then not having it, and certainly better then a poke in the eye.

The thing already gets warm on long hills, like any motor will, just have to watch your revs and keep it in a gear that can gain speed without mashing the throttle wide open and it will be fine,

Also there are several issues with swapping literally any other diesel engine in, 1, RPM range 2, will it fit 3, can I afford the swap 4, finding one that runs, and fits

8.3 cummins sounds like a good motor, and I like cummins, but any around are going to be far more expensive then they are really worth 10-20k

any 6v detroit is a pipe dream around here, and not gaining anything anyway

8v detroits are cheap, but probably wont fit esp 8v92s

everything else is wishfull thinking

So back to plan a, turbo it or run it until I can afford something better
Not gaining from a 6V-92T ? Really? Check the available HP and torque ratings. Makes that "turboed" Cat look like a joke. And I've driven a few 6V-92T's, made NA 8V-71's look weak.

crane operator

not positive but i think most are factory drilled whether turbo is used or not

I'll have to go look at the shop, I have the remnants of one of each, I think there's a O-ring and a flange where the turbo sits for the return oil.

Not gaining from a 6V-92T ? Really? Check the available HP and torque ratings. Makes that "turboed" Cat look like a joke. And I've driven a few 6V-92T's, made NA 8V-71's look weak.

I'm with rzucker on this , the 6v92's go up to north of 350hp, with not bad torque (for a detroit two stroke). I move a 95,000lbs crane with one. The advantage to this for a repower, is its a much shorter engine than a long inline six. So you don't have as much doghouse and radiator issues. I had actually looked at this for in my cranes, but I didn't have room for the width of the motor, in the crane compartments, the inline six actually fits better than a v.

The detroit v-six, that is actually the closest in size to what you have is a 6v53, and its about a exact fit. But that's not a big hp upgrade.

northmanlogging

View attachment 184808 View attachment 184809 View attachment 184810 View attachment 184809 View attachment 184810 (not a sales pitch) heres the set up . as far as i know this is the only way a turbo will fit, plus manifolds and connector pipes, block must be drilled for the oil supply into the bottom of the turbo, not positive but i think most are factory drilled whether turbo is used or not

worst case, I can manage drilling a hole or two, but the compressor has oil supplied as well, so a guy could just T into it if need be

Think I may have meant 6v71, but got distracted by something shiny, the 6v71 only runs like 235hp or sumsuch

a 6v92 would certainly do the trick, if a guy could find one

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Actually this all sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how things work out.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
worst case, I can manage drilling a hole or two, but the compressor has oil supplied as well, so a guy could just T into it if need be

Think I may have meant 6v71, but got distracted by something shiny, the 6v71 only runs like 235hp or sumsuch

a 6v92 would certainly do the trick, if a guy could find one
6V-71 minus turbo is 238 HP with a lot more torque than the cat, turbo 6V-71 can hit 300+ HP.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There should be a lot of low mile high HP 6V92 turbo motors around from surplus fire trucks these days, this is the time they are really starting to get sold off/scrapped in big numbers.

But you would need a transmission and clutch, or you could go with the automatic that they came with, HT750, direct drive 2100 RPM if that could work.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
3208's even turbocharged were one shot engines, they got used up pack it up for a crate engine. Two ring pistons, weak heads, not much to deal with or overhaul except the injection pump mounting where would get loose over time and then wobble grind on the block mating surface, PITA. Cat used to have a metal epoxy kit to build that back up and take it back to close to normal. Not much better than many of the old gas engines for me.
I would go the 6v92 if at all feasible otherwise run it til it shells, pop the radiator cap off and roll a different wagon under it.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I would say diesel vs gas might be an exaggeration, I drove some of the same trucks with 8.2 Detroit/427 gas or 3208/534 gas and the gas engines made you want to get out and push sometimes.
In the early 80's I ran a GMC 9500 with a 318 8V-71 hauling grain from central Washington state to the river ports in Pasco, James (the GMC) needed some transmission work so I broke out "protection power" for 3 days. It was a 1971 Chevy C65 with a 427 and a 5 and 2. Air brakes and a 5th wheel. Oh, a rubber band tandem too.
Those were some slow trips using twice the fuel the 318 used. I think it was about 90 gallons of gas per day. But we got 'er done.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I drove a spare Ford service truck for a couple of weeks while first working at the Komatsu dealer. It had the 534 gas motor. It used a full fuel tank of gas driving from Kent to West Port. I've seen plenty of toilets use less fluid per flush than that truck used turning the starter over.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I would say diesel vs gas might be an exaggeration, I drove some of the same trucks with 8.2 Detroit/427 gas or 3208/534 gas and the gas engines made you want to get out and push sometimes.

A little exaggeration yes but the 1160 and 3208 were not much better, lifespan was the big issue for what I saw, 8.2 Squeezer engines had their own issues. Would rather have a DT IHC or a J or L series Cummins. 6L71, 6V 71 or 92 would be a GREAT deal more engine than what he has now.

Last service truck I ran out had a 370 2V Ford, gutless and gas hog but started every day, got what we needed done & had cab heat when some of the diesels would not at -5 F.

northmanlogging

Thanks folks, unless a 6v71/92 falls in my lap, then Ill run er till she pukes or get a better truck... eventually...

On the subject of guzzline engines, my little 5 ydr has a 362 ferd, gets 5.5 mpg loaded or empty and demands 92 oct, the hindernational gets roughly 8mpg so it is a step up from what I had before, just not like a real big one, though the hindernational can carry the little truck loaded, and still not be overweight