• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 312B no high speed travel

CatKC

I have a 312B that won't go int RABBIT travel speed.
Checking things in SERVICE MODE it -will- travel fast when I set 16-13 (travel pressure switch). There are no error codes.
However, the STATUS OF TRAVEL SPEED SWITCH (10) always shows - "1" LOW - even when the CONSOLE shows RABBIT. (engine running or not)
The travel has been working and switching back/forth, but just quit.

CatKC

Does anyone know if the STATUS OF TRAVEL SPEED SWITCH in SERVICE MODE should indicate "1" LOW when the console has RABBIT lit up ?
If not, does anyone know what would cause this ?

DEMLONE70

Its the AEC switch on the main valve .U have 2 of them one for travel and one for implemt Part nr . is 1060179 . U can put a wire between the 2 end of the harness to see if its change in the monitor from low to high .

CatKC

Its the AEC switch on the main valve .U have 2 of them one for travel and one for implemt Part nr . is 1060179 . U can put a wire between the 2 end of the harness to see if its change in the monitor from low to high .

Thank you for the suggestion-
I jumpered both but it still shows "1" LOW when running or not running the engine with the console showing RABBIT.
I also continuity checked the sensors. One goes off/on when trying impements, the other goes on/off when traveling tried.

DEMLONE70

Speed shows on monitor normally
Do u have logged fault codes ?
Does AEC working ?
Can u read pump pressure in monitor ?

CatKC

Speed shows on monitor normally
Do u have logged fault codes ?
Does AEC working ?
Can u read pump pressure in monitor ?

No logged errors.
AEC works correctly
I started off by checking the pump on the monitor which was 40000 kPa (5802 PSI)

What's confusing me is that 'I thought' the Service Mode indicator on the monitor should read HIGH if it was in RABBIT MODE even if the engine was not running, which it doesn't.
I realize that any 'perceived' load will drop it into LOW but with the engine off there should be no 'load'.

Last edited:

DEMLONE70

How do u know pump is ok ? Pump pressure switch makes the travel mode change from low to high turtle or rabbit
Service mode indicator 16-13 shows on or off from travel pressure switch
Engine needs to run to do the test with safety bar forward and push the travel pedals

CatKC

How do u know pump is ok ? Pump pressure switch makes the travel mode change from low to high turtle or rabbit
Service mode indicator 16-13 shows on or off from travel pressure switch
Engine needs to run to do the test with safety bar forward and push the travel pedals

I tested the indicator- (16-13)
It is OFF unless I travel, then it is ON.

CatKC

The same both still and moving (slowly).

I'm still wondering abut the 'Status of Travel Speed Switch'. Shouldn't it indicate FAST if the console was indicating RABBIT even if the engine is not running ?
I thought it should reflect the CONSOLE setting.

DEMLONE70

4000 KPA is standby perssure of pump ,if u want to know the travel pressure u need to block the tracks then u will see pump pressure of tracks , u can hold bucket closed and read full pump pressure
Where do u see the Status of travel speed switch ? Monitor shows rabbit or turtle
What console u talk about ?

CatKC

4000 KPA is standby perssure of pump ,if u want to know the travel pressure u need to block the tracks then u will see pump pressure of tracks , u can hold bucket closed and read full pump pressure
Where do u see the Status of travel speed switch ? Monitor shows rabbit or turtle
What console u talk about ?

The 312B OPERATORS CONSOLE

console.jpg

Last edited:

DEMLONE70

Thats called the monitor The travel button shows rabbit or turtel
Does the tracks always stays in slow mode when u travel ?
Travel Speed Control Switch - Press the travel speed control switch in order to select high travel speed or low travel speed. When the engine start switch is on, the travel speed control switch is always set at the LOW SPEED position. Whenever the travel speed control switch is pressed, the travel speed changes.

Last edited:

CatKC

Sorry, I have seen it referred to the SERVICE CONSOLE as well as the OPERATORS MONITOR.
The CONSOLE/MONITOR/INDICATOR shows RABBIT-sitting or traveling-. It never travels FAST. The SERVICE MODE on the CONSOLE/MONITOR always says (1) LOW -sitting or traveling- with the engine -running or off-. It will run FAST if tested/forced in SERVICE MODE. (see first post) Every sensor/switch I have checked has been working. I have checked pressures and none seems abnormal.

The concern I have is if the MONITOR in SERVICE MODE indicates (1) LOW with RABBIT displayed on the CONSOLE. SHOULD THIS INDICATE (2) HIGH even when the engine is off if the RABBIT MODE is selected ?
To me this would indicate it would not go into RABBIT because it doesn't think it has been selected.