• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 312 oil sump tank screw switch tap

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
I need to replace my tap under the sumo tank on my CAT 312. I cant seem to budge it but just asking will I do any damage if I hit the tool holding the switch tap ---just asking. Thanks

Attachments

• CAT-sump tap.JPG
    CAT-sump tap.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 26
  • CAT-sump tap1.jpg
    CAT-sump tap1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 25

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your 2nd photo. Is that the actual tap from your machine or simply a representative photo.?
If the latter, can you remove the tap assembly complete from the oil pan or did someone use Loctite when it was installed.? if you can get it out complete that would assist in disassembly. TBH I'd simply junk it and put a regular drain plug in.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Hi Nige yes 2nd pic is an eBay substitute. 1st pic is actual plug in the sump. Damn hard to get out. I worry I might put too much pressure on it as do you think it’s Ok to use a hammer on the spanner? Thanks very much I will go with a bolt as replacement as Terracat in NZ parts are expensive. All the best…..

Nige

If there's half a chance someone put it in with Loctite give the oil pan a bit of (careful) warming with a blowlamp or similar. That ought to break the Loctite bond.

Post the S/N of your 312 and I can probably figure out what thread the sump plug ought to be, or does that eBay photo you posted contain thread details.? You shouldn't have to buy an OEM sump plug from Cat.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Thanks again Nige for your advice. The serial No is: 8JR01832 & ebay doesnt specify the size of the thread.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I kinda like those widgets, myself. I use them on my stuff. Someone must have glued that one in place.

Nige

Thanks again Nige for your advice. The serial No is: 8JR01832 & ebay doesnt specify the size of the thread.
I drew a blank unfortunately. There are no thread details quoted. Interestingly the OEM "sump plug" is actually a drain valve rather than a plug. 5I-8015 is the Cat Part Number.

upload_2023-1-5_14-37-0.png
All I can suggest is to contact the eBay seller and ask them what thread it is. My suspicion is it will be something metric and parallel along with everything else on the machine as a result of it being built in Japan.

I still think a good amount of heat will break the bond on the threads and allow you to get the existing one out. Sure, it might burn the paint a bit but it shouldn't do any damage to the oil pan. If you can get the existing one on the bench then you can apply more force to it and hopefully free it up. Again possibly heat could be your friend because it looks as though the body is brass and the guts are steel, so heat ought to expand the body away from the innards and free it up. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Many thanks for your help. I tried to undo while on the engine. I will get my ex mechanic on to it next week hopefully....

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those are an aftermarket fitting that came out a bunch of years ago. Thread pitch is going to be the same as the original drain plug. I never liked the idea of something like that hanging down that might be snagged by brush or something and providing a sudden death to an engine. I saw them on Komatsu engines in the late nineties.

heymccall

It's not aftermarket.

Just put on a nice fitting open end wrench (probably 7/8"), and give the wrench a good rotational whack with a hammer, CCW, of course.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They came out in the mid nineties so some sales rep made a great presentation to a manufacturer. Maybe worth a look on Google for someone else that might be selling them.

heymccall

It's a Fumoto drain valve, factory installed. Many of my machines came with them, and many more have had them added.
Its just a bolt thread. Give the wrench a whack.
As for thread size, I've exhausted all of my resources.

Ironically, all my 314 and 321 machines (Mitsubishi powered) came with a drain T valve instead.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
It's not aftermarket.

Just put on a nice fitting open end wrench (probably 7/8"), and give the wrench a good rotational whack with a hammer, CCW, of course.
Yes will try that. Thanks for the tip

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Those are an aftermarket fitting that came out a bunch of years ago. Thread pitch is going to be the same as the original drain plug. I never liked the idea of something like that hanging down that might be snagged by brush or something and providing a sudden death to an engine. I saw them on Komatsu engines in the late nineties.
Totally agree John. Cheers

mitch504

Friend of mine bought a grain truck with one of those. It was in a line of trucks waiting to get behind the corn picker. He just happened to walk by the grill just as it started to sound bad. He jumped in the driver's lap to shut it off, looked under it and there was a piece of cornstalk wedged in the handle and 10 gallons of oil in a puddle on the ground.

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Friend of mine bought a grain truck with one of those. It was in a line of trucks waiting to get behind the corn picker. He just happened to walk by the grill just as it started to sound bad. He jumped in the driver's lap to shut it off, looked under it and there was a piece of cornstalk wedged in the handle and 10 gallons of oil in a puddle on the ground.
Hi Mitch, I always look under the motor & check the oil level before i use my excavators & never saw any oil on the ground. I must have dropped at least 5-8 litres yet couldnt see where it went? I took the cover off & it was very oily then watched a very slow single x drip coming from the tap itself where its spring loaded & the turn switch? ---- Im all for getting a drain plug now as Nige suggests as too easy to blow your motor on such a small thing. Plan on doing it next week--just hope I can match up a drain plug bolt......Cheers

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
Used a 24" crescent & we levered the drain switch off. No lock tight "just arm power"?? Got a drain plug to fit= 24mm thread metric. To buy a replacement sump plug switch from Terracat in NZ costs $NZ318. [ebay is $NZ47 including freight ]. Thanks to all you guys for your comments...... till the next time & have a good year.