• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289D codes 600-3 and 1076-5

I have to completely remove mine to get at the DPF, is there anything special I need to do when disconnecting the hydraulic fittings, or just make sure they don't get a bunch of debris in them?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Just removing the radiator won't be enough to get at the DPF if you're going to remove it for cleaning. Had a co-worker try it, it didn't work. Bolts on the exhaust were too tight to bust loose with your arm fully extended. Also extremely difficult, if not virtually impossible to reach the 4 bolts holding the DPF to its mounting frame as well. I believe Caterpillar's procedure in SIS is to remove the entire engine. As I no longer am employed at the dealer I no longer have access to SIS to confirm that unfortunately.

Always plug/cap off hydraulic lines and components. Contamination control should be the main priority when opening up a hydraulic system. Most of the fittings on that particular unit will be ORS.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Based on anecdotal experience the best way to remove the DPF is to take the engine out.
The Service Manual procedure for R&I of the DPF starts with "Remove the engine". I haven't heard of anyone successfully removing one with the engine installed.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've done it going in from under the cab. I wouldn't say its easier but if you don't have a crane it makes the job doable at least.

I have officially derailed this thread.......

I found an old thread that one of you posted engine removal instructions, it doesn't seem that bad honestly except for separating the pump from the motor. There is an OEM tool called out for reaching a nut it looks like?

Texian00

Checked the radiator and it all looked clean - it seems as though the plugs just came undone. Who knows why but it runs fine now and I've been upgrading and maintaining it - switched to the Advanced Display, figured out how to add an aftermarket backup camera that works like OEM on the display, etc
Do you mind telling me what camera you used?

iota

Do you mind telling me what camera you used?
I used this camera: https://amazon.com/dp/B08H4W9Z7Z?tag=amz-link-20 but any backup camera will work just fine. You just need to attach it to the Deustch connector which is inside of the cab on the back right side (over your right shoulder when sitting) under the cover for the "B pillar". If you have the "advanced display" (LCD screen from Cat) I think that it "just works" with no need to change anything in CAT ET but don't quote me on that

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
While we're on the subject of derailing this thread,

but any backup camera will work just fine. You just need to attach it to the Deustch connector which is inside of the cab on the back right side (over your right shoulder when sitting) under the cover for the "B pillar". If you have the "advanced display" (LCD screen from Cat) I think that it "just works" with no need to change anything in CAT ET but don't quote me on that

I never realised how easy this was until now. The advanced display just has an RCA + and RCA - input. There's no reason those inputs need to come from an over $1k camera with Cat written on it.

Also using the power source from the standard camera plug behind your right shoulder (CONN 23) utilises the factory backup camera fuse in the fuse box.

Brilliant.

1710276435868.png

iota

While we're on the subject of derailing this thread,

I never realised how easy this was until now. The advanced display just has an RCA + and RCA - input. There's no reason those inputs need to come from an over $1k camera with Cat written on it.

Also using the power source from the standard camera plug behind your right shoulder (CONN 23) utilises the factory backup camera fuse in the fuse box.

Brilliant.

View attachment 307684
Yep, that's it! It really is as easy as that. I ran the wire (any backup camera wire is going to be PLENTY long enough) through to the engine compartment and then just screwed the camera through the stock camera's blank panel on the engine door.