• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289D codes 600-3 and 1076-5

iota

Hey guys, I just got a well used Cat 289D and am working on fixing it up. The last thing I'm working on is trying to figure out the source of two codes:

600-3 hydraulic oil temperature sensor voltage above normal
1076-5 engine cooling fan bypass solenoid current below normal

Digging through the service and operator manual PDFs I got hasn't shown anything relevant that I can see, and the Cat parts site doesn't list any parts with those names (which I assume are generic names related to the code).

Does anyone have any tips on where I might start trying to track these two issues down? I assume there is a wire harness or sensor that needs replaced but not sure what I'm actually looking for.

Thanks guys

iota

Serial # is TAW03820

Looks like perhaps the hydraulic oil sensor is Cat part 264-4297 which is about $50 and appears to be easy to get to with the cab up, can anyone confirm if that sounds right?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I wouldn't throw parts at it yet. Have seen wiring issues in both those areas of the machine. I haven't had SIS access in a few years so I can't pull up any procedures to troubleshoot but usually it'll give you a quick procedure to test the wiring.

The fan bypass solenoid is the solenoid located by the fan. From what I remember, oil normally flows through the fan motor and when the solenoid is energized, it lets oil bypass the motor. Kind of a failsafe in the event of an electrical failure. The wiring isn't always supported well to the solenoid and I've seen dozens of instances on that particular model where the hot exhaust melts the wiring harness around the DPF and difuser pipe. Can't remember if the fan wiring runs through that area or not.

In any case I'd advise getting your hands on a troubleshooting guide to verify if these issues are wiring or the component attached to the wiring.

iota

Peeked under the cab with a flashlight and I can see the hydraulic oil temp sensor wire is unplugged, so that's an easy fix.

thanks @92U 3406 - will look for the fan solenoid next

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If my memory is correct, it should be mounted right on the fan motor itself on the bottom of the rad package.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Peeked under the cab with a flashlight and I can see the hydraulic oil temp sensor wire is unplugged, so that's an easy fix.
Maybe it is unplugged for a reason.? If reconnecting the harness causes the 600-3 to change to 600-"something else" then post up the new Code.

Attached is the procedure for troubleshooting 1076-5.

Attachments

• MID039 CID1076 FMI05.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 28

iota

Hmm, yes, the fan solenoid wire was hanging down too. Will plug both in and see what codes reappear if any... thanks for the help guys, guess I shoulda just looked a little more!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Very strange. I think unplugging the fan solenoid makes the fan run full send all the time. I don't want to assume but hydraulic temperature might play a roll in determining fan speed. I'm wondering what the underlying issue here might be?

iota

Maybe the complete cooling package (radiator + hyd oil cooler) needs disassembly and a thorough cleaning.?
Good idea; the coolant overflow bottle was empty and I added about a quart of ELC to the radiator already so it's possible there is a cooling system issue (or just lack of maintenance over time)

iota

FYI, after plugging the sensors back in a month ago and running the machine for many hours in various conditions/weather, the errors never returned.

I periodically get a "lift linkage sensor above normal" that pops up and goes away before I can take note of exactly what it says, will need to get the Cat ET out and check the logs but otherwise the machine is running great. Thanks everyone

iota

Good to hear. Did you eventually pull the radiator/cooler package apart and clean it.?
Probably a wonky connection somewhere, or damp in the works. Seeing as it comes and goes it might be problematic to run down.

Checked the radiator and it all looked clean - it seems as though the plugs just came undone. Who knows why but it runs fine now and I've been upgrading and maintaining it - switched to the Advanced Display, figured out how to add an aftermarket backup camera that works like OEM on the display, etc

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
100% agree. I could hit most Cat skid steer rads from the top side with the steam cleaner for 10 minutes and get nothing but muddy water coming out the bottom. And they looked spotless where you could see it.

Any time I ever have to take a rad out of a skid steer I always take the shroud off and give it a good cleaning.

iota

Good advice, I'll dig into it - do i just lift the lid, undo the bolts on the corners and lift the rad up? will have to dig through my owners manual to make sure i'm getting it all

Thank you for posting that parts diagram. At the risk of sounding really, really stupid, is this assembly supposed to rotate up if you remove the rear bolts? I have a 2016 289D and it looks like it is on a swivel, but I don't want to try and force it.